Add a table to your post - New tool

Janet H

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A simple table tool has been added to the reply editor. It has extremely limited capabilities, but may be useful for posting tabular data.

How to set up a simple table:

Click reply and then select go advanced
Enter cell data separating info for each cell with a "|"
Use a new line for each new row. Example:

Mon|1.5|2.2|3.2|2.1
Wed|0|2.1|0|3.2|1
Fri|1|2|3|4

Once you have entered your data, highlight all data and then click on the table icon on formatting toolbar to add the formatting tags around your data. Click the preview post button to check out your new table.

Mon1.52.23.22.1
Wed02.103.21
Fri1234

Adding a header:

Set up your table and add titles in the first line for your header using the same "|" separator. Highlight table and click the table icon. Code tags will be added to the beginning and end of your table. Next you must edit the tag at the beginning of your table. Change the code
to
at the beginning of your table. No change is needed to the tag at the end of your table
Miles runweek 1week 2week 3week 4
Mon1.52.23.22.1
Wed02.103.21
Fri1234
Miles run
[TD]week 1[/TD][TD]week 2[/TD][TD]week 3[/TD][TD]week 4[/TD]
Mon1.52.23.22.1
Wed02.103.21
Fri1234

Formatting tips:

• The first line defines how many columns are in the table. If the other lines have more or fewer columns, they are cut off
  • Columns will be as wide as the widest entry in that column (I think)
  • Empty rows are (should be) removed.
  • You can use formatting code and smilies inside the table!

Get a text editor like Metapad lite (free).
Copy the range in Excel.
Paste into Metapad.
Replace all Tabs with |.
Select all and copy.
Paste into the reply box here.
Change text TABLE in first tag to TABLE=head.

AA Tgt%|Target%|% from Tgt
10.0%|Frgn Lg Blnd|-2.8%
3.0%|Frgn Lg Value|-0.4%
5.0%|World Stock|+1.3%
:(>Int'l|18.0%|-1.9%
8.5%|Large Blend|-1.5%
6.0%|Large Blend|+2.2%
4.0%|Large Value|-0.2%
0.5%|Co. Stock|+0.1%
11.0%|Stocks|+1.7%
2.0%|Specialty R.E.|-0.3%
4.5%|Small Blend|-0.8%
2.5%|Small Value|-2.5%
:D>U.S.|39.0%|-1.3%
18.5%|Int-Term Bd|+1.5%
3.5%|Int-Term Bd|-0.6%
7.0%|Long-Term Bd|+0.1%
7.5%|Bonds|+1.0%
2.5%|Inf-Prtctd Bd|+0.9%
:nonono:>Bond|39.0%|+2.8%
4.0%|Cash Res.|+0.4%
:)>Cash|4.0%|+0.4%

Get a text editor like Metapad lite (free).
Copy the range in Excel.
Paste into Metapad.
Replace all Tabs with |.
Select all and copy.
Paste into the reply box here.
Change text TABLE in first tag to TABLE=head.

Great tip!!
:flowers:

I could get this to work only by copying Janet's table data and substituting my data for hers and then clicking on the formatting button. When I tried to do it from scratch only the first column appeared and I couldn't get the heading application to work.

i could get this to work only by copying janet's table data and substituting my data for hers and then clicking on the formatting button. When i tried to do it from scratch only the first column appeared and i couldn't get the heading application to work.
It's possible that you are not using the correct delimiter "|".

abcd
The data I entered to make my small table above:

1|2|3|4
a|b|c|d

I selected those two lines of data, and then clicked on the Table icon.

Hope that helps.

My | is above the backslash \ -- I don't see another one vertical on my keyboard (Compaq laptop). I'll try again here:

a|b|c|d
1|2|3|4

should become a table

abcd

but it still doesn't for me. :(

Oh, well--no biggie.

Feever, after you type...

a|b|c|d
1|2|3|4

...you're highlighting it then clicking the table icon and still not getting...

abcd
...?

EDIT: Feever, it looks like you may have hit 'enter' after your first and prior to the ending
. That would result in the incomplete results you are showing.

It looks like you can't have a carriage return after the opening TABLE tag. When I press "enter" after the TABLE tag and I start the "a|b|c|d" on a new line, I get

a
But when I put the a|b|c|d immediately to the right of the TABLE tag and on its same line, I get the full thing:

abcd

[edit to add: never mind...]

REW, did you cut and paste my data and it worked okay?

I am following the instructions precisely--I'll try again (retyping my data):

abcd

So if you put a few lines of text in the message, then key in some table data, then select it and click on the table button, it formats it?

I have been trying to do this and cannot get it to work. It works when I key in the start and end table tags on the same start and end lines as my data. But when I select the data (and only the data) and click on the table button, it puts the table tags on the lines above and below my data, not run in to them. And then my table is only the left-hand column.

Try entering it EXACTLY as you see it in the screen capture I created below:

tableexample.jpg

It's critical that the first element in the top left cell (the "a" here) immediately follows the closing ']' of the TABLE tag and not on the line below it.

test

abcd
sundaymondaytuesdaywednesday
allcowseatgrass

Ziggy, I can do it if I put the tags in myself--I do run right into the beginning and end of the data.

It's when I key in the data, select it, and then click on the "table" button that I only get the left column--in which case the table tags appear on the lines above and below the data, not run in. I'll just do it manually for those tabular occasions (isn't that a song from Chorus Line--"One Tabular Occasion"?).

I like Khan's table--so bucolic!

Ziggy, I can do it if I put the tags in myself--I do run right into the beginning and end of the data.

It's when I key in the data, select it, and then click on the "table" button that I only get the left column--in which case the table tags appear on the lines above and below the data, not run in. I'll just do it manually for those tabular occasions (isn't that a song from Chorus Line--"One Tabular Occasion"?).

Wow, that's odd.

Might this be browser-specific?

In my experience, it's important that [ table ] be on the same line as the first line of data, and [/ table ] be on the same line as the last line of data

In my experience, it's important that [ table ] be on the same line as the first line of data, and [/ table ] be on the same line as the last line of data

It's a mystery to me why that doesn't happen for me automatically when I use the table button. I'm using Internet Explorer 8, by the way.

I'd probably just key in the tags myself anyway.

It's a mystery to me why that doesn't happen for me automatically when I use the table button. I'm using Internet Explorer 8, by the way.

I'd probably just key in the tags myself anyway.

firefox 3 on XP 3

bestwifeever - check out the tags for this table in the attachment below:

Mon1.52.23.22.1
Wed02.103.21
Fri1234

Attachments

• tabletag.jpg
    tabletag.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 140
Janet, I know I'm beating my own dead horse, but I just thought you might want to know that this isn't working for me when I follow your directions.

When I input the tags manually as you illustrate it works fine.

It's when I put in the data and then select it and click on the table button that the tags automatically appear on separate lines above and below the able (not run in like yours are showing) and I get only the far left column appearing.

Table done with manually inputting the table tags as you and others have illustrated, then inputting the data:

abcd

Looks good.

BUT: Table done with inputting the data, selecting only the data (not the blank lines above/below, or any area that might include an invisible hard return), and then clicking on the table button (and as I've finished this step I see once again the table tags automatically appearing on separate lines above and below):

abcd

Back
Top Bottom