Ban these 'fify' posts?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
fify = 'Fixed It For You'.

I know people are trying to be 'cute', and I get a chuckle out of it sometimes, but I think it is actually very bad form to take someone else's 'quote', and make it look like they said something they didn't. 'Quote' means 'quote' - right?

If someone is skimming the thread, or that original quote was on the previous page, it looks even more like the person being quoted actually said that. It just seems wrong to me, to attribute a quote to someone, when that is not what they said. And the OP may never see it to respond.

How about people just say "Did you mean to say..xyz"?, or "You realize, that when you say that, you are really saying... xyz". Modifying someone's 'quote' is lying.

-ERD50

I agree.

From time to time I have used a quote in excerpted material , with ... to indicate show that the quote is incomplete, but never to "fix it".

I know people are trying to be 'cute', and I get a chuckle out of it sometimes, but I think it is actually very bad form to take someone else's 'quote', and make it look like they said something they didn't. 'Quote' means 'quote' - right?

If someone is skimming the thread, or that original quote was on the previous page, it looks even more like the person being quoted actually said that. It just seems wrong to me, to attribute a quote to someone, when that is not what they said. And the OP may never see it to respond.

How about people just say "Did you mean to say..xyz"?, or "You realize, that when you say that, you are really saying... xyz". Modifying someone's 'quote' is lying.

-ERD50

I think the quoting and the fify comment pretty much clarifies the intent and removes any possibility of lying from the issue. Much more than just responding to a comment without quoting the original. But it won't be a problem from me anymore.

-ERD50

Thanks ERD50. I know what you are referring to and I have to admit that I'm not always the fastest on the uptake and I don't have a handle on all the abreviations. EX: when I saw my quote twisted, I did a double take and thought "did I say that"? I was not familiar with the "fify". Sorry. Now I know.

Thanks ERD50. I know what you are referring to and I have to admit that I'm not always the fastest on the uptake and I don't have a handle on all the abreviations. EX: when I saw my quote twisted, I did a double take and thought "did I say that"? I was not familiar with the "fify". Sorry. Now I know.

It's something that has been bugging me for a while, and others have commented on it. I don't mean to single out that post, it was just a reminder that I meant to comment on the process in general. No offense meant towards that poster either, I'm sure there was no bad intent on their part.

But it is pretty easy to see the 'quote' in that big colored background box, and maybe miss that little 'fify'. Sorry, it just rubs me the wrong way to see that quote box, which should be able to be taken at face value as a literal quote, and see it misquoting someone.

-ERD50

I guess the ones I've seen have been funny ones, and obviously a joke.
Maybe I don't read all the way through to the end of enough posts, though.

In my experience, the convention was always to leave the original quote, but "strikethrough" the word you're changing and place the new word/phrase immediately next to it in bold, so it's clear what was changed, like this:

Someone said:
If find these "fixed it for you posts" [-]annoying[/-] clever and amusing!

That said, not all forums support the "strikethrough" markup.

[mod hat]As with any post, you can always use the report function to bring a confusing FIFY post to the moderators' attention and it will be addressed.[/mod hat]:

Attachments

• report post gif.jpg
    report post gif.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 392
I almost always enjoy them.
Most posters here have a pretty good sense of humor, and I've never seen one that was unkind.

I think the quoting and the fify comment pretty much clarifies the intent and removes any possibility of lying from the issue. Much more than just responding to a comment without quoting the original. But it won't be a problem from me anymore.

Hey harley, if I was a little more knowledgeable about "terminology" nothing would have mentioned. I know there was no harm, intended and none taken. My bad for not being up on all the "terms".

Originally Posted by Someone
If find these "fixed it for you posts" annoying!

I like it more if they do it like this: The actual quote as is with the FIFY in the comment box...

FIFY.

If find these "fixed it for you posts" [-]annoying[/-] clever and amusing!

I've done this a few times myself, and IIRC, have even noticed a few mods doing this. Ususally its done in jest, since most here have great senses of humor. Further, it seems to me that in all cases the change to another person's quote is clearly indicated. If not, then I would agree with ERD, otherwise this seems a bit trivial to make an issue over.

[mod hat]As with any post, you can always use the report function to bring a confusing FIFY post to the moderators' attention and it will be addressed.[/mod hat]:

It's not so much any problem with any particular post - I just thinks it's a bit of a fuzzy line in general, and just not a good practice. And then it get's subjective as to what is OK or not. It just seems to me that when quoting an individual, it should be a quote - not a misquote. Edited for brevity, sure, but intentionally misquoting and counting on everyone to 'get it', not such a good idea IMO?

It was too long to put in the title, but I think what would really help is some mention of this in the Community Rules. Otherwise, I'd be 'reporting' a post that broke no rules.

I think I may have even done this a time or two myself - but after seeing how it gets a bit confusing, and can easily be taken the wrong way, I've decided not to use it myself, at least not as a direct quote. It's one of those things that strikes me as a bit 'clevver' (sic - I saw an editorial on software that tried to 'help' too much, and just got in the way - the writer coined the term 'clevver' for this, and I always liked that).

-ERD50

In my experience, the convention was always to leave the original quote, but "strikethrough" the word you're changing and place the new word/phrase immediately next to it in bold, so it's clear what was changed, like this:
The few times I've done it, I've made it very clear what's been "fixed" using strikeout and font color. No one was misquoted...that would be inappropriate, but I haven't seen that happen either (I must have missed one).
Maybe some folks are just a little too serious :whistle: ?
+1...

That said, not all forums support the "strikethrough" markup.

And it does not come through in the email notifications either - leading to some pretty bizarre 'quotes' unless you load the page to read the formatted version.

Maybe some folks are just a little too serious :whistle: ?

Maybe some folks have poor reading comprehension? ;) (see note below)

emph mine:
I know people are trying to be 'cute', and I get a chuckle out of it sometimes, ...

-ERD50

(note: ) I included the smiley to be clear I'm just joking and not being snarky with that comment, I'm sure you funny folks 'get that' ;)

-ERD50

I agree with ERD 50.THE idea that something like a strikout or an FIFY would be clear to everyone who might read it that it was an editorial having nothing to do with the quoted text is highly questionable. Everyone who might read these boards will not necessarily read the glossary of terms and acronyms.

haha said:
I agree with ERD 50.THE idea that something like a strikout or an FIFY would be clear to everyone who might read it that it was an editorial having nothing to do with the quoted text is highly questionable. Everyone who might read these boards will not necessarily read the glossary of terms and acronyms.

That's a simple enough fix without banning the idea... Request that users don't use that acronym, but actually post the words "Fixed" or "Fixed that for you" or whatever, along with making it clear it was edited.

That's a simple enough fix without banning the idea... Request that users don't use that acronym, but actually post the words "Fixed" or "Fixed that for you" or whatever, along with making it clear it was edited.
We're busy people....there must be a shorter way of saying "Fixed".......perhaps a letter code of some sort? ;)

I would quote the original post and reply, but I'd have to add my spin on it first :LOL:.

IMO, I really haven't looked at the quotes that closely. Guess I'm too much into the kicking back mode since FIRE instead of the byte-byte analysis mode back in days of w*rking.

I don't usually find the FIFY posts confusing and some of them are funny.

However, I almost never like them, because quite often they are snarky. Sometimes someone sees a post and doesn't agree with it and makes the point by using the FIFY tactic. It just seems kind of rude and snarky. I'm not saying that is always the case. Sometimes it is purely humorous and not mean-spirited. But, I see the contrary enough that I generally don't like seeing it.

Why change anything? It's not a big deal. Keep things as they are and eventually I'll get with it. So will others. Don't be making changes to what y'all are used to. We can't be so sensitive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom