DM

GregLee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The convention for referring to family members as D+acronym is not fully implemented, since there is no recognition that one is in one's own family. I suggest that if forum participants were encouraged to use "DM", the interpretation would be immediately clear to all familiar with the general convention, the system would gain a more pleasing symmetry, yet posts would become even less interpretable for those first arriving here, leading to a greater sense of solidarity within the group.

Hmmm.....

I must not be in the "it's immediately clear" crowd referenced above, and I'm feeling a loss of solidarity.

What does the "M" mean in "DM"?

First we had the grammar police, now the acronym cops? :cool:
Oh no! Not the dreaded "partially implemented D+acronym phenomenon (PIDAP)." ;)

But, as seriously as one can take this (not very, in my case), these conventions are not the product of some administrative Policies and Procedures manual, but rather evolve with the group's usage and style.

The convention for referring to family members ... I suggest that if forum participants were encouraged to use "DM" ... immediately clear ...
Hmmm, I looked for DM in the "Standard Acronyms You May Find on the Forum" list, did not find it, guessed it meant darling member (as in family member, I mean), figured it was too ambiguous, and moved on. But thanks for trying. ;) Actually, I read the thread and found what it meant. Still, I cannot see DM catching on, but who knows. I suspect we would probably have more D* acronyms like DB and DC for the bunny and cat fans, if those were not already taken.

What D*'s are we most in need of?

The convention for referring to family members as D+acronym is not fully implemented, since there is no recognition that one is in one's own family. I suggest that if forum participants were encouraged to use "DM", the interpretation would be immediately clear to all familiar with the general convention, the system would gain a more pleasing symmetry, yet posts would become even less interpretable for those first arriving here, leading to a greater sense of solidarity within the group.
Sorry, I left all rules behind when I retired. I'll try to use what has been done in the past (whatever forum I'm on), but I will not consult an "instruction manual" in this matter :bat: ...

This is already one of the most PC forums on the Web..........:)

DM=Deutche Mark

Back
Top Bottom