Obscure memory, trying to track it down

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I have an obscure and distinct memory from my childhood in the 1960s - but I can't find anyone, even people my own age range - who can validate it so maybe someone here can.

In our extended family, several older male members played string instruments - guitar, fiddle, mandolin, etc. They performed at square dances.

I have distinct memories of dance parties being held in my aunt and uncles' big old Victorian farm house.

These male members would arrive in dark colored pants, white collared long sleeved cotton shirts - with dark arm bands or arm gaitors? these bands appeared to keep the sleeves tight and out of the way of the instrument.?

I haven't been able to find a photo anywhere of a musician wearing this kind of arm wear.

If anyone knows what I am referring to - please let me know?

Is this what you mean? They're called garters.

Attachments

• garter.jpeg
    garter.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 33
Those arm bands are called sleeve garters. Maybe do a Google image search?

I could picture them, figured maybe 'garter' was in the name. But then I wondered, why?

The wiki entry has some info (mostly to maintain the desired cuff position on standard, non-tailored clothing). For musicians in particular, I could imagine they want to keep the cuffs up and out of the way of the strings of the instrument, or from getting caught on the bridge or edge. Same with book-keepers/accountants of the time, keep the cuff out of the ink?

The wiki entry sounds like more of a fashion statement for musicians, but I think this was also a practical thing too.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom