Explain some troll-y behaviour to me...

Maurice

Full time employment: Posting here.
Having been here three months, I've seen the odd troll come here, post once or twice immediately talking about how good a financial adviser is, or how good annuities are, or whatever.

What's their motivation? Are they just trying to alter the tone here, in case potential clients find the site?

Or are they trying to actually drum up business right here?

If its the latter, I don't get some of the behavior. In some cases they post links to a 'fantastic investment'. OK, that could theoretically result in some business from this board. But sometimes they pose as happy consumers (i'm thinking of QT who posted today). What could he really gain from that post? Does he really think someone will PM him and ask him for a recommendation for an adviser?

Or are they trying to actually drum up business right here?

Ding, Ding, Ding. Right answer.

But business comes in many ways..
  • They may be selling a service and hope you'll buy.
  • Or.. they may be trawling for "hits" to an ad laden site.
  • They may be fishing for your e-mail address, collecting and selling them (they can't get them here unless you post your e-mail address in a thread).
  • Or they may just be stupid and annoying!
At any rate, please use the report post button when you see these kinds of posts. Every once and a while a well meaning new member posts commercial content as a way of a personal introduction. We pull or edit those posts and message them about posting standards.

When we find intentional spam we remove it and ban the offender. Most spam is identified and reported by members - sort of an ER posse.:bat:

Sometimes thats a "hit and run" post, where someone might be PO'd at having their career or primary product impugned and they just want to throw a punch on their way out.

Alternatively it may simply be an "identity troll" who is pretending to be a financial advisor or annuity salesperson, trying to get a rise. They'll post a few times and then sit back and watch the "action".

I imagine its a nice break from the confines of their moms basement.

I imagine its a nice break from the confines of their moms basement.

Er - is that a Blonde from Missoula Joke - or what?

:D:rolleyes:

heh heh heh - Pork chops, black eyed peas, boiled cabbage, fried cabbage, cole slaw(there's a ringer in every crowd). Ice cream and college football for desert.

Pinochle or post on the net - on long winter nights in Missoula.

Er - is that a Blonde from Missoula Joke - or what?

:D:rolleyes:

heh heh heh - Pork chops, black eyed peas, boiled cabbage, fried cabbage, cole slaw(there's a ringer in every crowd). Ice cream and college football for desert.

Pinochle or post on the net - on long winter nights in Missoula.

Mick, you gotta be 18 by now. Get out of town! Meet some boys!

17. I'm keeping track. ;)

Thanks UM, now I need to go out and buy a sack of red cabbage and apples and make some braised cabbage.

Thats a lotta fiber...

Now someone needs to air that question about how someone will bring something up, and within 7 posts the discussion turns in at least 2 completely divergent directions.

SPAM is sent out because the cost reward ratio works.
It is the same for trolls.

Google counts links to sites so any click from here and elsewhere just out of interest can raise their google ratings. Sometimes people read our tealeaves and just want to stimulate responses to their post.

Others do not even search and just want us to do their work for them.

There also alot of lonely people out there who need to post to feel human.

Does he really think someone will PM him and ask him for a recommendation for an adviser?
Never underestimate the stupidity or laziness of the American consumer.

The troll only needs a couple hits out of the thousands who peruse this board, and will undoubtedly get them.

Never underestimate the stupidity or laziness of the American consumer.

The troll only needs a couple hits out of the thousands who peruse this board, and will undoubtedly get them.

Hmmm - not to mention lonely. May have to chat with the Missoula Chamber of Commerce to see if they wish to to run some counterpoint ads/spam/have a troll for a day contest. I do note that New York City seems to be doing just fine in spite of the Pace Picante Sauce ads.

I forgot to mention - low fat buttermilk and generic Hy-Vee corn bread muffin mix was a big winner.

So if CFB posts his braised red cabbage/apple recipe - we got it all covered - right?

Spam/trolls/Missoula/New York City(always included)/lonely/stupid/lazy/blond/recipes/etc.

Now - my question is - how do you know if it's human or some prerecorded dohickey automatically posted.

:D

heh heh heh - 3 degrees this morning on the north side of Kansas City.

Hey, you asked for it...

Shred a head of red cabbage and soak it in water for an hour or so.

Cook four slices of bacon in the skillet or dutch oven until about 2/3 done. Add a quarter cup of chopped red onion to the pan and saute in the bacon fat until tender, about 5 minutes.

Shake the excess water from the cabbage and add it, stir regularly for about 5 minutes. Add two cored sliced granny smith apples and a pinch of caraway seed.

Add either a 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar or 1/2 cup of red wine. You may also add a few teaspoons of honey. Sort of depends on what I have on hand. Cover and simmer very slowly for about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the liquid in the pan hasnt been fully absorbed, uncover and cook until the liquid is gone. If the pan goes dry before the cabbage is very tender, add a little more vinegar or wine.

Remove from the heat and finish with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and two tablespoons of butter.

Hey, you asked for it...

Shred a head of red cabbage and soak it in water for an hour or so.

Cook four slices of bacon in the skillet or dutch oven until about 2/3 done. Add a quarter cup of chopped red onion to the pan and saute in the bacon fat until tender, about 5 minutes.

Shake the excess water from the cabbage and add it, stir regularly for about 5 minutes. Add two cored sliced granny smith apples and a pinch of caraway seed.

Add either a 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar or 1/2 cup of red wine. You may also add a few teaspoons of honey. Sort of depends on what I have on hand. Cover and simmer very slowly for about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the liquid in the pan hasnt been fully absorbed, uncover and cook until the liquid is gone. If the pan goes dry before the cabbage is very tender, add a little more vinegar or wine.

Remove from the heat and finish with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and two tablespoons of butter.

I usually add some grated ginger to the recipe above and throw some
bratwursts or chicken apple sausages on the top. then i have a one pan
meal (well two pans really since i usually make some rice to go w/ it).
another variation is to use apple cider vinegar and orange juice
for the liquids which makes it a tad more sweet/fruity).

Just think - those who come to troll and or spam - get a healthful hearty recipe - with variations!

Is this forum a great bunch of sweeties or what?

I feel warm and smarmy all over.

I wonder how many trolls/spammers we have reformed and led out of the wilderness to the promised land of ER.

heh heh heh - and no I'm not drinking! :D :angel:

Hmmm - maybe a straight snort of unsweetened green tea and I will buck up and get the grump on!

;)

heh heh heh - :cool: Looking forward to the next troll we can leap on - post wise.

CFB - Uhhh - does soaking the cabbage for an hour cut down on the 'air' properties later? :)

No, but cooking the livin' @#%$ out of it does.

Part of the problem with cabbage is the fiber. The rest is sulfurous compounds.

The good news is that you break down a lot of both during the long cooking process.

Just to be safe though, its advised that everyone in the household eats the cabbage.

If all else fails, blame the dog.

SPAM is sent out because the cost reward ratio works.
It is the same for trolls.

What he said above....

And.... I can not believe that any of these spam emails actually get someone to buy... but as they say about fools.....

BTW... maybe if they had a .1 cent charge on each email sent... or something like that it might cut down on all the spam... but I am now going on a tangent...

Having been here three months, I've seen the odd troll come here, post once or twice immediately talking about how good a financial adviser is, or how good annuities are, or whatever.

What's their motivation? Are they just trying to alter the tone here, in case potential clients find the site?

They're just "cruising" the Internet.........usually I ingore them.........

Of course, someone from New York who spells behavior as "behaviour" could be trolling. :)

Back
Top Bottom