Forum topics by age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learn from everyone here regardless of age. Speaking of age, where is Imoldernu?

He is posting on the Skeptics Society and Debate Politics forums. He also has a Twitter account and following (I am not a Twitter member). He's around, but not here at the moment.

Papadad - there are several (that I can think of) members here who are in their 40's and retired. Why don't you start a thread in the Life After Fire forum and start a conversation.

I don't think we need to redivide/subdivide the er.org site...

And don't be surprised if folks not in your preferred demographic respond... that's how it works here. :)

While I like to get input from those in my similar situation, including age, I know that valued input can be from lots of ages for lots of ages.

I like to meet other 40 somethings who are fied ... Not many of us and the situations and solutions are often unique compared to a 60 year old 2 or 3 years out from social security a pension or both ...

Put another way: I find those retiring in 30s and 40s to be way more interesting. Often their stories are met with healthy inspiration and some awe.

Contrasting that - Retiring in 60s is pretty much average and normal not at all uncommon and pretty much unspectacular in that it's a "usual" Path. And with 10000 boomers retiring every day it's just a lot of normal old people retiring on schedule. By that point few of those doing it "early".....

Wow. :facepalm:

You can always start a thread entitled "Want to meet other FIREs aged 40-ish" if you want.

As for the third comment bolded above, I will be retiring in my early 60's, and there is absolutely nothing "common" or "normal" about the path I have had to follow to reach that goal. I will consider my own retirement to be a pretty damn spectacular event in my life when I reach it, thank you very much.

Now I am going to end this post, before I write something that (justifiably) gets me kicked off the thread. :mad:

He is posting on the Skeptics Society and Debate Politics forums. He also has a Twitter account and following (I am not a Twitter member). He's around, but not here at the moment.

I believe he is also spending some time on another retirement forum. I saw a post from him there a few weeks back.

Put another way: I find those retiring in 30s and 40s to be way more interesting. Often their stories are met with healthy inspiration and some awe.

Contrasting that - Retiring in 60s is pretty much average and normal not at all uncommon and pretty much unspectacular in that it's a "usual" Path. And with 10000 boomers retiring every day it's just a lot of normal old people retiring on schedule. By that point few of those doing it "early".

And time will catch up with early retirees eventually. While I retired at age 52, I'm now 65, so I don't really stick out as an "early retiree" anymore.

And time will catch up with early retirees eventually. While I retired at age 52, I'm now 65, so I don't really stick out as an "early retiree" anymore.

Yup. Time has a funny way of catching up with everyone (if they're lucky) - even those who think they are extremely special, and far more interesting than all the people who came before them. :D

I believe he is also spending some time on another retirement forum. I saw a post from him there a few weeks back.

How can someone find the time to contribute to three forums? One is more than enough for me unless I sit by my PC all day long which I don't intend on doing anytime soon.

How can someone find the time to contribute to three forums? One is more than enough for me unless I sit by my PC all day long which I don't intend on doing anytime soon.

My best guess is that Imoldernu never sleeps! :D

You know, that is actually pretty offensive, not to mention ageist. You are certainly entitled to have whatever feelings you want to have about older people, but it seems more than a little rude to talk publicly about how those younger people are just more interesting.

I also think you are entirely missing the fact that many of those boring old people in the late 50s are older weren't always that age, and may have retired years and years earlier.

There is also the fact that while this form is an Early Retirement forum it does have plenty of people on it who didn't retire too early. I remember when I joined the form and I was 55 or so, I was hesitant at first to even join. I actually think I lurked for quite awhile before joining because I wasn't sure I was young enough to join.

The reality is that because I was uneasy about it, I looked elsewhere for a more general retirement forum and didn't find one. So, here I ended up. And, mostly despite being a decrepit and boring 55 year old, people were welcoming.

I have the feeling though that once we hit 60 (regardless of who old we were when we got here), you would just as soon we went elsewhere. From one of your posts in this thread:

60's...ok. Few are early retirees. Talk about claiming your SS, changes in file and suspend, Medicare. Perhaps many don't even belong on an "early retiree" board. They're pretty much run of the mill retirees.

This is the only forum I frequent, let alone post in. Yet, it already takes quite a bit of my time.

So, how do people run across imoldernu on other forums without spending even more time than I do? Just askin'... ;)

I did not mean to suggest dividing the forum entirely by age as u quickly figured out.

The suggestion is to have areas that are targeted and welcoming specifically to age or like retirement stage people.. Affinity is a good term.
I like to meet other 40 somethings who are fired ... Not many of us and the situations and solutions are often unique compared to a 60 year old 2 or 3 years out from social security a pension or both ...

Contrasting that - Retiring in 60s is pretty much average and normal not at all uncommon and pretty much unspectacular in that it's a "usual" Path. And with 10000 boomers retiring every day it's just a lot of normal old people retiring on schedule. By that point few of those doing it "early".

Dryer sheets or not... This is ER.org right ? And E stands for early, correct ?

Peace out !

When you were in high school or college, how did you envision your future? I'm guessing you probably hunted for information that would enhance your career, your financial situation or your quality of life. Well, guess what? Some "older" people also plan for the future. Get over it. Hopefully you will someday be old enough to ask the same questions.

Last edited:
Wait, you want the mods to confess their ages?

Hmmmm..........

:)

OK, I am old. But not so old as to have forgotten the day I got my first dinosaur. Mum was afraid that I wouldn't properly care for the little fellow, but Dad talked her into it. Oh the hours of fun we had -- little Winthrop and I -- scampering about in the wood until we heard the roar of Old Nick, the local Tyrannosaur. Then we'd race for the safety of home. Good times indeed.

Given the desired demographic, perhaps the Early Retirement Extreme or Mr. Money Mustache forums might be a better fit.

OK, I am old. But not so old as to have forgotten the day I got my first dinosaur. Mum was afraid that I wouldn't properly care for the little fellow, but Dad talked her into it. Oh the hours of fun we had -- little Winthrop and I -- scampering about in the wood until we heard the roar of Old Nick, the local Tyrannosaur. Then we'd race for the safety of home. Good times indeed.
You think you are old, I still remember the great bisque they used to serve at the Red Trilobite.

You think you are old, I still remember the great bisque they used to serve at the Red Trilobite.

Hey, what a coincidence.....my great-grandson used to catch those crabs & lobsters!

This is beginning to sound familiar.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL: They won't!

The forum is "early retirement", not "very early retirement". I understand you may have some fairly unique issues, but some of those boring 60 year olds may have been through your situation and you can learn from them if you can stay awake reading their posts. I appreciate people of all ages here. And there are also probably people of all ages I've put on ignore or gloss over their posts.

Start threads on topics you think apply to your kind. Maybe if they are popular enough and enough of them you can have more support for a separate forum. But it seems like you might be more at home elsewhere. And I'm not sure you haven't worn out your welcome here with your attitude in this thread.

Everyone here used to be younger. They either left or got older here. Even a 45 year old wasn't really an "early" retiree. Back in the prerecession day only a curmudgeon thought a 4% was an exceptionally conservative swr what with those CD rates and one could plan on being on easy street with those stock options and start up money just waiting to fund an incredibly well feathered nest egg.

Or maybe the people who say they're in their forties and FI really aren't--might as well take what everyone says as helpful regardless of their supposed age and path, or discount all of it. I haven't needed to know or care about others being from my 1950 birth year since I was 22.

Last edited:
I go to reddit, lately. There are many younger people populating their forums, and far fewer FI. The demographic is the younger mirror of ER.org.

I see a lot of wheel spinning as the just-out-of-college or new professionals struggle with getting started that more experienced have worked their way through. I've picked up a lot getting new perspectives. It challenged me to go back to school for some finance and econ courses. I have improved returns already, with less risk.

I hope that the earliest ER people continue to stay. The mix can do everyone good.

Given the desired demographic, perhaps the Early Retirement Extreme or Mr. Money Mustache forums might be a better fit.

Sadly not quite the demographic I was looking as so few have made it to FIRE and are really just aspirational, it's similar to the young dreamers here.

When you were in high school or college, how did you envision your future? I'm guessing you probably hunted for information that would enhance your career, your financial situation or your quality of life. Well, guess what? Some "older" people also plan for the future. Get over it. Hopefully you will someday be old enough to ask the same questions.

Yes. That's true. And that's what this board is for. But a forum area that's dedicated to age-specific (cycle specific) issues seems practical and helpful. Not to mention as I noted before a chance to get to know the similar aged patrons in here.

Kinda like a bar - some bars the old people go to ... And some the younger people go to. None are denied service.

Yes. That's true. And that's what this board is for. But a forum area that's dedicated to age-specific (cycle specific) issues seems practical and helpful. Not to mention as I noted before a chance to get to know the similar aged patrons in here.

Kinda like a bar - some bars the old people go to ... And some the younger people go to. None are denied service.

So you should start a thread titled "for age group (your choice) only" and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom