How to search for the N most recent postings

P

parnass

Two questions:

(1) I know how to search for the 10 most recent postings by clicking on that link on the forum's Home page. But, that's not enough.

On the old board, I used to search for the 50 most recent postings by using a period (.) as the search string and ANY poster. This worked fairly well, but missed the postings in which there were no periods.

On the new board, I'm trying to search for the 50 most recent postings using the same method. Is there a better method?

(2) My searches do not show the messages in the Forum Admin category on the new board even though I have checked the box adjacent to that board. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

It seems to work when you search for a vowel. Or enter "a e i o u" and specify "any words" instead of "all words", in case you think ee cummings may have posted a message without a particular vowel.

parnass said:
(1) I know how to search for the 10 most recent postings by clicking on that link on the forum's Home page. But, that's not enough.
dory36, I agree. Can you add additional options to search for the 20 or 30 most recent postings so we don't have to enter our own search?

Once again, thanks for all your efforts to move the board to a much faster site.

REW

Even though it says "View the 10 most recent posts on the forum" it is now set to view the most recent 50. I will find the text to change the 10 to 50 on the screen and update it as well.

Those interestd in only the first 10... stop looking when you get to 11. :p

Dory36

Edit: Now it says "...50 most recent posts ...".

dory36 said:
Even though it says "View the 10 most recent posts on the forum" it is now set to view the most recent 50. I will find the text to change the 10 to 50 on the screen and update it as well.

Those interestd in only the first 10... stop looking when you get to 11. :p

Dory36

What service!!! :D :D :D Thank you Dory. If I could only get some semblance of that response rate from my grandkids....

REW

Good morning-

Nice work. Thanks to all involved.

A suggestion: the "50 most recent" feature would be more useful if it listed only the most recent post from each thread. Having multiple posts from from threads basically clutters it up.

rapoole

Good morning-

Nice work. Thanks to all involved.

A suggestion: the "50 most recent" feature would be more useful if it listed only the most recent post from each thread. Having multiple posts from from threads basically clutters it up.

rapoole

I'll keep my eyes open for such a modification to the software, but don't see a way to do this without extraordinary changes.

I suspect looking at the changed boards and the new topics might be the best way to see these on a topic by topic basis, if the linear list in "most recent" is too cumbersome.

Hi-

Nice work. Thanks to all involved. I am am reposting here because my earlier post may have been overlooked.

I have a suggestion: the "50 most recent" feature would be more useful if it listed only the most recent post from each thread. Having multiple posts from from threads clutters it up.

rapoole

I saw it -- I just didn't have an answer. :-[

Dory-

Thanks. Maybe Jim or someone else will have a solution. It is important to me. Anyone else? Please pitch in.

rapoole

All who use the 10/50 most recent-

Are you ok with repeated postings from the same thread, or would you prefer that the 50 most recent only include one posting (the most recent) from each thread.

Dory- I understand that you are still not sure how to handle this issue and will appreciate this board whatever the resolution.

Best regards,
rapoole

rapoole said:
All who use the 10/50 most recent-

Are you ok with repeated postings from the same thread, or would you prefer that the 50 most recent only include one posting (the most recent) from each thread.

I have no problem with it. I like the fact that I can quickly scan and see what threads are most active.

REW

rapoole, it would probably take some real programming to do that. I'm looking around but don't see an easy way to do it. Reprogramming introduces all sorts of problems starting with new errors and unsupported features that would get wiped out in a board software patch.

Alternatively, now that there are only 6 boards and the
new.gif
link feature is here, you can view each board one at a time and the
new.gif
button for each thread will take you to the first unread post in that thread. This is my favorite feature so far.

If I find out otherwise I'll let you know... EDIT: Gues what? . . .

rapoole said:
I have a suggestion: the "50 most recent" feature would be more useful if it listed only the most recent post from each thread. Having multiple posts from from threads clutters it up.

I second that.

Dory, I know you are limited to the software you use.
The Simple Living Discussion forum has an option to go to active topics and returns any threads that have had activity since you last logged in.

MJ

BigMoneyJim said:
<cough> <cough>

Hey BMJ, I hope you know this wasn't a dig. I am more than pleased with all your efforts to get the site back up and jamming.

MJ :D

BMJ,

I just figured out what the new button was for so that will take care of my need to get to the latest entries.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom