Ignore list?

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ignore list: Shouldn't the ignore function suppress the posts as well as the threads started by the ignored? At this moment the posts are suppressed, but the threads still show!

I just can't handle it anymore. Finally succumbed and submitted one name to the ignore list. Can't bear to read his racist, childish, and generally ignorant and thoughtless writing. But all his recent non-sense threads still show!

Help!

I pulled this out of the FAQs:

Ignore lists are used for those people whose messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.
I think that means you'll still see the titles of the threads they start, but you'll no longer have to look at their individual posts.

M* has the only other "Ignore" function I've seen, and it behaves the same way.

I pulled this out of the FAQs:

I think that means you'll still see the titles of the threads they start, but you'll no longer have to look at their individual posts.

M* has the only other "Ignore" function I've seen, and it behaves the same way.

That's too bad. Thanks again.

What's M*? Motley Fool?

Gallagher on televisions: "They need an intelligence knob; they have a brightness control, but it doesn't work."

The older versions of vbulletin used to have mods to allow whole posts by users on the ignore list to be hidden, quoted passages by ignored users to not be viewed, and my favorite...one that let a user post to their hearts content while nobody else could see anything they wrote.

Way more fun than a ban.

I dont see anything like that for the 3.x vbulletin, but I didnt look that hard.

Ignore list: Shouldn't the ignore function suppress the posts as well as the threads started by the ignored? At this moment the posts are suppressed, but the threads still show!

It would be nice to suppress the threads too. Too bad there isn't an "ignore this thread" button next to each thread. It would help clean things up and make reading here so much easier on the eyes.

I don't come here to get opinions of what is going on in Iraq or why politicians suck. I come here to stay current with FIRE topics and contribute to them once in a while as well.

I don't mind a few digressions, but when they become the main entree, it gets pathetic.

It would be nice to suppress the threads too. Too bad there isn't an "ignore this thread" button next to each thread. It would help clean things up and make reading here so much easier on the eyes.

I don't come here to get opinions of what is going on in Iraq or why politicians suck. I come here to stay current with FIRE topics and contribute to them once in a while as well.

I don't mind a few digressions, but when they become the main entree, it gets pathetic.
I do think that most folks have done a good job of keeping "political" discussions in the "Other Topics" forum, though. That makes it easier to ignore them for those who don't want to see them.

A technical question for the moderators:

Does "ignore" work based on the IP address alone, or the IP address AND the userid?

In other words, if the "ignored" individual creates a new userid, will his/her posts show?

In other words, if the "ignored" individual creates a new userid, will his/her posts show?
Yes.

For example, I have both Newguy and BooBoo on my "Ignore Poster" list.

Just a comment: I don't think there's any great added value in ignoring entire threads based on the originator. I don't want to put down the people who obviously feel strongly about it, but it's not all that difficult to avoid clicking on a thread that you don't want to click on.

I don't really have a horse in this race since I haven't "ignored" anyone yet... but I would like to point out, as an example, the recent thread on refineries started by newguy888. I gather he's on some people's ignore list, but in reading the thread replies I found out quite a lot of interesting stuff I never knew -and would never have known otherwise- about oil refining! So ya never know...!!

Have a good day, all.

Just a comment: I don't think there's any great added value in ignoring entire threads based on the originator....it's not all that difficult to avoid clicking on a thread that you don't want to click on.

But there is great value in ignoring a thread based on the thread.

True that you don't have to click on threads that have a topic you have no interest in reading on this forum. But, when you have to keep looking at those threads over and over every time you log in, it gets to be as annoying as spam in your email.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an "ignore thread" button next to each thread so it doesn't keep clogging up the list of threads? If I don't want to see a thread on "Iran needs nukes" one time, why would I want to see that same heading again the next time I log on? I am NEVER going to click on it, so I NEVER want to see it again.

If you don't think a thread like that is annoying, then what would you think if I posted 100 variations of the same theme on here once a week? Would it be annoying then?

Wouldn't it be nice to have an "ignore thread" button next to each thread so it doesn't keep clogging up the list of threads?

Yes, I think that could actually be useful.. it's a bit different than automatic hiding of everything based on user.

I would be far more likely to ignore an entire thread than to ignore a user, mostly since I think it would be wierd to read threads where some main participant is blocked out and thus other people's responses might make no sense...

It's not just about politics or who's annoying, either. For instance, I'm happy that people enjoy RVs or surfing, but I'm not going to go RVing or surfing so I would be happy to be able to "tidy up" unread posts to eliminate those threads from my list, at least (as you say) past their first appearance.

Back
Top Bottom