I've turned in my moderator's badge.

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I've resigned as a moderator. I'll still be on the board as a plain ol' poster.

While it could be construed that my resignation was inspired by recent debate, that's not the case. There's no moderator dissension, either, and I'm leaving their ranks amicably. Of course if you're the kind of person who finds those coincidences too hard to believe then I'll never persuade you otherwise.

For everyone else, it's not about the board. This is a general simplification of my life that's been evolving over the last few months. I used to think that my moderator's efforts were [-]vital to the continued existence of the free world and life as we know it[/-] necessary to keep this place from imploding into a Yahoo! chat room, but I'm confident that you guys (let alone the new management and the remaining/new moderators) can handle that task without me. I've served my time.

I'm looking forward to getting up in the morning, checking the surf forecast while imbibing a few steaming beverages, and deciding [-]where to surf[/-] what to do next without feeling duty-bound to check the board. I'll drop by from time to time but not necessarily every day and no longer every thread. Please PM me if you want to ensure a response.

If you've already given me your book input, rest assured that I'm finally doing something about it (and this time I really mean it!). If you're a military veteran who hasn't shared their ER story with me yet, then feel free to send me a PM.

I've left management with my thoughts on where to go from here. I may have influenced the changes that are coming-- or I may not. You'll have to keep guessing.

As for railing against management, well, we all have better things to do with our time. Air your opinions, be constructive with your criticisms, send a PM if you disagree with the decision, and then either put up with it or go start your own board. Don't sit here and keep poisoning the waters. And, hey, you First Amendment zealots-- if you're really here to support democracy then stop demanding a recount every month.

I count all the moderators as my friends and they're worthy of our support. If you disagree with their decisions, then walk a mile in their shoes before publicly dissenting. I'm looking forward to spending more time with them, as I am with the rest of my friends here.

And let me say that as a reborn poster I'm looking forward to using my "Ignore poster" feature on several of you!

Let me say that I can relate to your decision. Regardless of the "complaining" posts -- I have purposefully not clicked a link and read about any of the dissension.

When it comes to the hard jobs in life, it's good to learn it well, and hand it off to the next in line.

-CC

Edit: But, ok... I'll go click on that "15 min." link for the juicy details.

Last edited:
Nords,
No explanation needed. You did a great job as moderator and always make a good contribution to the threads.

In a way it is a shame that so much good advise on these boards goes off into the ether.

I didn't know about you writing a book. I was thinking about that recently in the vain of the phases of pre and post RE. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the hard work Nords. I know it can't be an easy task.

I have appreciated your insight on many issues and look forward to your continued posts.

Nords, I have always enjoyed reading your posts and hope that you drop by regularly to entertain with more of your stories.

It can't be easy to be a moderator and I feel you and the other mods do a good job. You can never keep everyone happy and it would be pointless to spend all your time doing so.

Enjoy your surfing, though I am sure you don't need me to tell you that.

Nords,

I'm truly sorry to see your resignation. Believe it or not, I thought you were doing an excellent job. Anyway, I'm very glad you're not leaving the forum. Things would be very different without your presence.

Sam

Thank you so much for your Moderator work (and thanks too to those who continue to carry the load). It must have seemed thankless from time to time, but Moderators are who keep the Forum such a great place to linger.

The change to the new software was a jolt to many, most of us aren't aware of the problems some cause because our Moderators do such a good job.

Nord, your posts are true jewels. Most of us have (or are) older family members that amuse or confound. Keep up the stories...

Nords, thanks so much for your service!

i think the moderators are generous people who put up with a lot of complaining and offer lots of wise solutions to complicated problems posed by a demanding board.

will look forward to your Dickens-esque:cool: postings about science projects, surf, or whatever other interesting projects are going on in your life.

Please continue to post.

I'll really miss you if you don't. Laughter and learning are the reasons why I enjoy this forum so much and you have supplied both.

I do look forward to that book of yours. It would be an honor to have a copy one day...then I can say, "I know him!" :)

Thank you for your service...I imagine that it has been quite the "j*b".

Last edited:
Hey Nords,

Whatta ya gonna do all day (now)?

Look forward to many more good posts.

Yakers

Nords, a pat on the back and a "job well done". This has been one of the best boards around for two reasons: the quality of the posts and the "just right" moderation as far as I could see. You're an example of both categories and I look forward to reading your future, more relaxed, postings.

Changes coming? Can someone give us a hint?

Re: I've turned in my moderator's badge

Nords,

Thank you for your service to this board. I always enjoy reading your posts and look forward to seeing more in the future. You have a very compelling story and a book seems like a great idea!

Keep on Smilin...

Nords, you have been a great moderator and your posts are always both informative and entertaining. Thank you!. Nolw that you are RE (again) we understand it's just another phase of your career! Do stick around, and give a heads up when the book is published!

Nords, are you having a moderator retirement ceremony? Thanks for all your help and efforts.

This could be a trick. He's ex-military. I think he's working a covert op trying to infiltrate the dissension movement. Be watchful...

:) Just kidding - thanks for the hard work to make the board a good place to visit. And I've especially enjoyed your "Book Report" series of posts. I searched on that phrase recently to replenish my "to read" list at the library.

Thanks Nords for all of your hard work. I am so glad that you will continue posting to the board. I always look forward to seeing what you have to say and I rely on you for such good personal information with my future Navy son-in-law! Thanks again for everything and have a Happy 4th of July!

I've always enjoyed reading your posts as well as valued your comments in mine. As mentioned, peoples priorities change and or just need to try other avenues. I hope you don't distance yourself to much.
I could never be a mod, to much time, hard to stay neutral, it's a difficult position.

Nords.............thanks.

Nords

I want to add my thanks for your contributions here and elsewhere. Your life is an inspiration to us and makes us all aspire to have as many interesting stories as you have shared.

Unlike many moderators, you are very much "one of us" in sharing your life. Good luck with your trip to the mainland. And I hope you end up doing the right thing on your second home.

Have you written your "book proposal" yet? That is essential to make sure you have the right category and slant for the potential publisher. A couple of my close friends have published:
Amazon.co.uk: Midlife Runaway: A Grown Ups' Guide to Taking a Year Off: Books: Lynda Cronin

WorldCat: Crank 'em up! : brilliant sales contests and bright ideas to turn on your team and turn up results

And please check in regularly. Thanks, Keith

Thanks for all your effort, Nords. Hope you stick around to post.

I certainly understand your decision. The other day, I was asked if I would serve as President of the country club I belong to. I just laughed and said "Lord have mercy no". I went on to say that I just wanted to be a good member and play golf without having to listen to members complain about some insignificant item.

Even though I don't always agree with the decisions the moderators make, I do want to thank you all for your contribution. Not an easy job.

Back
Top Bottom