Pasting a picture/image into a message

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
I'm having trouble cutting/pasting FIRECalc results graphs into a post. Cutting/pasting directly from the "results" page doesn't work (apparently because the graph is "live", and the lines go away once it is separated from its web page). I've tried using the MS "snip" tool and also pasting from MS Powerpoint: in both cases the picture causes a "too many characters" message if I just paste it into the post body.

I'm sure I've done this before, but I can't remember the trick. I'd like the pictures to show up in the post, rather than just be a link. I know I've seen some great screen snips from FIRECalc done by others.

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

I've used the snip feature in Windows, saved it as an image and then attached it. Not sure if there is a better way.

The way I do this is (for any application) is to open the webpage on my iPad and take a screenshot of whatever I want to show, enlarging it to fit the screen. I crop the photo to eliminate the header and any extra space, and save the image to my photos. Then I can upload it just like any other photo.

Thanks all. I've now tried it using the "Attachments" (aka paperclip icon) to add in JPEG image files, then scooting them around as needed within the text of the post. This seems to work.

I don't think I'm "misremembering", though, that I have in the past simply pasted items directly from the clipboard into a message body without needing to use the "attachments" icon at all. Sometimes it worked :), sometimes the program interpreted it as 25,000+ characters of text, and it would get rejected.:(

Okay, I'll put them is as "attachments". Thanks.

I was wondering about posting graphics recently also, specifically image/file formats. I didn't find a FAQ on it, but I recall at least one (GIF, maybe?) isn't recommended.

It sounds like JPG is good, are there others? I get several choices when I save different ways, one way being Windows' snipping tool.

I'm pasting from the clipboard to see if it works:

Weather Radar for the U.S.

znmsirus__trans.gif
us_.png

I just slected part of a web page, Ctrl C'd it, and pasted into the input box. With a larger selection it failed due to too much data.

I think it depends on if when you do the 'copy', it grabs a url that can be referenced and detected so it gets put into the "img]" tags. Often, a copy/paste of an image just won't work, and I need to save the image and upload as an attachment, kind of a pain.

Also, if others are just doing a screenshot, those tend to be low rez, sometimes hard to read after posting. You can use the 'print to pdf' function (built into most modern OS's), and that should save a hi-rez version of whatever you are trying to show.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom