Suggestion on a a new forum area

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It might be a good idea to create a forum for caring for the elderly... separate from the general health forum.

Many readers and forum member will expereince this situation with parents and spouses.

I would expect interest to grow. Separating it out now will make it easier for people to find information on that specialized area of concern.

I'll second that. Maybe we can call the forum "Eldercare" or something similar.

I am in that situation now as well, so taking care of an elderly parent will be part of my life for the next few years.

Now that we can ignore entire forums, we should be able to increase the number of existing forums.

Another option is to create a "social group" under Quicklinks.

Would this include ourselves as the object of elder care?

I just created an "Eldercare" social group here... http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/group.php?groupid=6
I think this is a great use for that feature. I am going to work on extending the functionality of the groups this next week so they can have a forum with threads inside them. This will make them much more useful as they are currently somewhat useless with only a long string of posts and photo attachments. I have added a link to the groups to the top navbar for easier access.

Also, please note this feature is kind of in Beta testing. I need to discuss some things with the mod team to make sure we understand the management of this.

Attachments

• groups.gif
    groups.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
I just spent a few minutes thinking about the above and the various solutions to organize discussions together. We now have subforums, tags & social groups. The Mod team has already been talking about how to create more granularity in the discussions so users can choose what they want to ignore. So please give us some time to discuss the pluses and minuses of each option and we will get back to you.

Andy R.

Groups are fine. But the topic of eldercare has many sub topics. A group looks like one long running thread.

If an adequate subgroup cannot be created, let's create a regular forum. Care of Elderly is an area that many people will struggle with. It could wind up being one of the top forum areas over the next several years.

I have posted this thread in response to the discussions going on here. Please take a look and chime in with your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom