NYT article on Long-term Health Industry

RobLJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I debated on whether to put this here or in Fire and Money but decided it probably belonged here. I know the subject of long-term care comes up now and then and posters are split between those who have policies, don't, or self-insure. The article goes over the "decay" of the LT health industry, covering both economics and the experience of many who pay for years, experiencing hikes in premium until they are priced out (which was my concern; whether self-insuring is a "solution" is debatable).

This is a link for sharing NYT articles, but I don't know how many clicks it will allow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/22/...e_code=1.DU0.XBvu.5CZAlN6bnAbj&smid=url-share

A sample paragraph towards the start:
"Repeated government efforts to create a functioning market for long-term care insurance — or to provide public alternatives — have never taken hold. Today, most insurers have stopped selling stand-alone long-term care policies: The ones that still exist are too expensive for most people. And they have become less affordable each year, with insurers raising premiums higher and higher. Many policyholders face painful choices to pay more, pare benefits or drop coverage altogether."

I was able to read the article. Hopefully the link will continue to work for others who are interested.

The article raises several issues about LTC including the fact that some policies freeze the benefits but still raise the premium as well as other pitfalls. No argument from me. I hope that DW and I have chosen a good policy with useful benefits from a solvent company should we ever need to file a claim.

However, I feel less than fully empathetic for situations that come up when someone (perhaps the entire family) didn't read the fine print or take time to consider what-if scenarios. I realize this is not the case with every situation mentioned in the article but there do seem to be some trends in the cases where benefits are declined or not paid in the manner in which the family expects.

Is government intervention needed? I hope not. I appreciate the fact that each state has an insurance commissioner and that federal level regulations aid in creating some form a uniform playing field but not confident that everyone paying into an LTC system is the answer to our woes.

Hopefully the insurance industry has gained a better understanding of what we (consumers) want and how the product should be priced. Yes, as more people participate, the premiums may be reduced.

I think I'd rather see some sort of mandated retirement savings plan before we see mandated LTC plans.

It doesn't seem like a viable market. DW and I got policies through OPM, when they negotiated them for Feds. We were able to include my father-in-law under the initial open season and that was a great deal because he started burning up the benefits within a year. We elected to get it for us as portfolio insurance primarily to help protect our estate so the kids could get something. I reasoned that OPM is pretty good at negotiating decent health insurance plans and would at least ensure that the LTC plans were legit. I read the fine print and understood that prices would go up and they have, enough so that I probably would have blown the insurance off if I had 20/20 foresight.

As it stands, we are keeping the plans. DW has Alzheimer's in the family and worries she could go down that path. I have Parkinson's and could face an LTC need if I can't or don't execute my half-baked plan to take myself off the board when the time comes. At 75, that time may only be a decade away, might as well keep the darn plan. I do like having OPM as a watchdog to make ssure the insurers at least deliver on their promises..

One has to perform an honest self-assessment of one's health risks, in view of what LTCi costs vs [your area] cost of senior healthcare in the three major scenarios: home healthcare aides, Asst Lvg, Skilled Care Nursing/Memory Care.

I worked in insurance in several segments and judged both my and Spouse's LT health risks to be moderate-high to high. We live in a HCOL area. We are childless and altho some family is near, they have serious concerns about their own parents/children so little time to spare.

Spouse suffered a haemorrhagic stroke at age 50 and although his recovery was 95+%, as he has aged I am starting to see a few instances of senility - recall difficulties, and what I call "phantom memories", where he thinks of something he believes has occurred recently....but it hasn't.

We have had LTCi policies sponsored through the state's pension fund for 24 yrs. The premiums are now markedly higher, but we were expecting such increases. I felt they had vastly underestimated premiums but it took the insurers another 10 yrs to substantiate it from actual data.

Fortunately our income in retirement is twice what it was when he was working so we can easily afford the premiums. Are they high? Yes, slightly over $1K/mo total for both policies.

However, it is less than $14K per year total for both. It should be noted this is the most recent price increase, July 2023. The carrier has said these premiums will be good for a minimum of two years, which is reasonable in view of the above-inflation rise in overall healthcare costs and labor. Please keep in mind, for over 15 yrs we paid premiums that were well under what they should have been.

The cost for a licensed, bonded home healthcare aide, 40 hrs a week, is $26.00/hour. As of November 2023, the average base rate for a home care in San Francisco, CA is $26.00 per hour. The weekly cost for a home care working a 40-hour week in San Francisco, CA is $1,040 while the monthly cost is approximately $3,380 for 130 hours of work.*
* per Genworth's most recent national study.

The cost for a good AL facility, with a Level 1 assistance (meds, showering) is $5,000+/monthly. We investigated local senior facilities when my MIL needed one, and have 3 specific facilities in mind for ourselves, one of which is a non-profit we regularly donate to and is one of the top three facilities in the state.

The cost for SCN/Memory Care is between $13,000/mo to $15,000/mo, depending upon facility.

Every year in July, all facilities raise their prices - all of them. There was not a single facility we investigated that did not do this, whether for-profit or non-profit.

Essentially, our LTCi policies for both of us for a year's time, are the same as a one-month stay for ONE of us for SCN/Memory Care.

As our policies are tax-qualified, paid benefits are tax-free and do not count as income by the IRS or state.

Many of us, as we age, view the prospect of declining mental ability with anxiety and fear. And that is justifiable: there are some types of dementia that cause a relatively quick decline and death, but there are many people who can linger for years.

I myself have two friends who (separately) had a parent with dementia where one lived 15 years and the other lived 12 years.

$15K monthly is $180K annually; throw in an inflationary annual increase of 3-5%, and it's easy to see that the total can inevitably grow to 7 figures.

If we self-insured, our portfolio and other assets would easily cover one of us in care. BUT, liquidating that much $$$$ annually out of the portfolio raises our tax bracket as well as the dreaded Medicare premium increase.

And that is assuming just a moderate inflation increase in facility costs, as well. The facility cost does not include many other costs - medications, clothing (from sweaters to slippers, etc.), Depends, et. al.

Sooooo......at this point, even with premium increases, the LTCi policies remain worth the cost. That may change as we age, since we have an unlimited benefit period, and past age 80 that option might no longer be worthwhile. But we shall see.

FYI, fighting with insurers is definitely not easy. One advantage to our policies is that the state pension fund employs a healthcare mgmt firm to act as ombudsman for every policyholder who files an LTCi claim. So we don't deal with the insurer, the mgmt firm acts on our behalf.

If we self-insured, our portfolio and other assets would easily cover one of us in care. BUT, liquidating that much $$$$ annually out of the portfolio raises our tax bracket as well as the dreaded Medicare premium increase.

Not sure how it would impact the Medicare premium but it shouldn’t impact your taxes. Medical expenses are deductible so that would have to be considered in any tax analysis. My mil spent 5 years in memory care and due to her circumstances her entire payment was deductible as medical care. She was getting significant payments on her annuities (one of which had a rider to double the payment in cases like hers) and she didn’t pay anything in taxes.

It’s certainly an individual situation, but taxes can likely be minimized.

Not sure how it would impact the Medicare premium but it shouldn’t impact your taxes. Medical expenses are deductible so that would have to be considered in any tax analysis. My mil spent 5 years in memory care and due to her circumstances her entire payment was deductible as medical care. She was getting significant payments on her annuities (one of which had a rider to double the payment in cases like hers) and she didn’t pay anything in taxes.

It’s certainly an individual situation, but taxes can likely be minimized.

+1, pretty much what I was going to say as well.

Back
Top Bottom