Survey popup

kyounge1956

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did not get that survey but I did get an online survey popup from this forum (suposedly) that struck me as intrusive. It said the survey was being conducted to improve the web site. First couple of questions had to do with net worth and income. After a couple of those, I opted out.

Free to canoe

That popup appears for me every few days and I always say I don't want to take the survey. After reading FtC's remarks on the nature of the survey, I'm not ever going to answer it. Isn't it ever going to stop asking? Is there any way to send the popup away permanently?

I just saw the darn thing and opted out. Now I am POd about even that. I simply do not trust popups unless they are from a site where I fully understand the purpose and use (and not from info in the popup itself). To big a danger of clicking on some malware link. Having "opted out" I immediately realized I fell for that link. It could have led anywhere. Normally I would simply close the window but I got it after seeing this thread in my RSS feed and was predisposed to opt out. :(

Did the admins post an advance thread that I missed explaining this survey? if not, they should have!

Here is an earlier post by AndyR discussing the survey and its purpose.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/survey-50606.html#post947168

Here's a quote from the earlier thread:
Sorry about the inconvenience of this survey and more importantly for not giving you all a heads up about it. This survey is from a marketing firm who is trying to help us get more relevant ads on the site. You can easily opt out for 60 days each time you click "No Thanks". For those of you who are willing to fill it in accurately, it would be appreciated. It will help us get more relevant ads on the site.

I click no every time, but I've definitely seen the popup much more frequently than every 60 days. I just searched for the Mac version of Adblock and found a site I can download it from. So long, annoying popup!

So the only people responding are those w/o pop-up blockers.

I guess that's the target audience, so why not?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom