Join Early Retirement Today

Clarification on 'off-chart spending' entry
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Clarification on 'off-chart spending' entry

Do you enter Off-Chart spending (OCS) as a positive number or a negative number in FIRECalc, e.g., to reflect a mortgatge ending?

I see that it shows up in the data summary with a default "+" sign before the number, compared with the pension and other income which show up with default "-" signs before the numbers, even though you enter those in data field as a positive number.

All along I assumed that you enter the OCS as a negative number (i.e., to reflect the reduction in your expenses/outlay). When doing that what shows up in the data summary is still the default + sign, but followed by the negative number I entered.

Keeping it negative seems consistent with how the income streams are represented as default negatives (i.e., because they reduce needed drawdown on the portfolio as well, just as the paid off mortgage does), but now I'm not so sure?

BTW, in trying it both ways, it seems that entering OCS as a negative provides better portfolio ending values (which would be expected) -- but just wanted to double check what is the correct way to enter this so I'm not distorting the scenario.

THANKS in advance for your help!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurray5991 View Post
Do you enter Off-Chart spending (OCS) as a positive number or a negative number in FIRECalc, e.g., to reflect a mortgatge ending?
As a negative number.

For example, for a $2,000/mo mortgage payment you plan to pay off in 2020, you would enter a negative $24,000 in off chart spending beginning in 2021.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Great, thanks so much for the quick response. That's actually what I did, but just started to second guess when looking at the data display..... that'll teach me to overthink things so much!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

That makes sense... it is what MODIFICATION to the original number from Step 1.

OTOH, if you knew that in 20XX a certain annual expenditure would KICK IN, that would be a positive number. It would ADD to the base number from step 1