Confused about the Mixed Portfolio

nuke_diver

Recycles dryer sheets
Title says it. The numbers in there don't seem to relate to anything so I'm not sure what is supposed to be in the Mixed portfolio. If those numbers are %ages they added up to 140% :confused: If they are $$ I'm not sure what 140 is

So do I put in %ages like 0.1 for 10% or do I take my portfolio and put $100,000 if that's what I want for a specific asset class

Thanks

The fine print explains it. FIRECalc adds up all the investment categories, then prorates each with respect to the total. For example, the default value for the microcap class is 10 while the total is 140 as you observed. Then, the percentage of microcaps is 10/140 or 7.1%.

When I play with this, I often re-normalize each class so that the total adds up to 100. It is easier for me to think in true percentages. I guess FIRECalc was done this way so that if people make mistakes and the numbers do not add up to 100, it can still re-normalize for them.

The fine print explains it. FIRECalc adds up all the investment categories, then prorates each with respect to the total. For example, the default value for the microcap class is 10 while the total is 140 as you observed. Then, the percentage of microcaps is 10/140 or 7.1%.

When I play with this, I often re-normalize each class so that the total adds up to 100. It is easier for me to think in true percentages. I guess FIRECalc was done this way so that if people make mistakes and the numbers do not add up to 100, it can still re-normalize for them.

Thanks I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure...though I cannot seem to check it right now because FIRECALC seems to be broken :( when I anything I get a

"You have called the results page directly. You need to enter information so results can be calculated.
Click on "The Calculator" above."

There is no The Calculator above either :facepalm:

I'll try it later when it works right...not sure what happened saw this last night too

Other posters have reported that FIRECalc was broken yesterday in another thread. It's still broken for me too.

Back
Top Bottom