Estimating taxes

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am trying to figure out at what figure to start my taxes in firecalc. I'm 61, will probably retire somewhere between 63 and 64. I have a financial planner who has set up online reports for me. My taxes start out around $10,000, but I just noticed they drop by almost half after I turn 65, then start increasing. I'm going to ask him why, but I suspect it is the turning 65. Anyway, when running firecalc, which figure should I use? I'm guessing it's the lower figure, because that is where the 30 year slow increase will begin.

BTW, today is the first time I've achieved 100% success in firecalc - although my success rate has been consistently above 95%. Reducing my taxes to the 65 year old rate, and the changeover to 2017 apparently made the difference!

Pick a number somewhere in the range, perhaps the average, median or mode, and add it to your spending. I would pick something near the "ultimate" amount of tax and not fret about year to year variations given the amount involved.

I looked at fireclac and didn't see where to enter taxes. Seems unnecessary, do you enter Federal taxes and State taxes separately ?
What about Sales tax since some States don't have it ?

Why not just enter the total amount you want to spend per year on everything including taxes. ?

Taxes are different for everyone, so for FIRECalc you should estimate them and include them in your overall spending number.

Last edited:
I generally figure my effective Fed tax rate plus my 5.1% flat state tax.

Our income and income source is fairly constant as is our effective rate.

Pick a number somewhere in the range, perhaps the average, median or mode, and add it to your spending. I would pick something near the "ultimate" amount of tax and not fret about year to year variations given the amount involved.

Yes, that's what I thought, which means taxes during the first couple of retirement years, before 65, are abnormally high, then at 65 the steadier "real" amount takes hold.

To estimate your effective tax rate, do a mock return based on your estimated income and deductions at retirement.

Just don't do estimate your taxes the way I estimated mine, before I retired.

I had read posts by many people here saying their taxes in retirement were about 10% of their income. That sounded just TOO good. I thought surely that was a lot of baloney and didn't believe it for an instant. So, as a placeholder, I estimated my taxes at 25%.

(Dumb, dumb, dumb. :duh: I should have run Turbotax with as realistic of a retirement scenario as I could figure out, to do better job of estimating than I did.)

In retirement, it turned out that my taxes were about 9%-10% of my income. :facepalm: Oh well, it has been nice to have a lot of wiggle room in my budget.

Last edited:
Did you work longer than you needed to as a result of that flawed tax assumption? Even if you didn't I can see it happening to those who are not careful about it and need to get to a certain multiple of living expenses before retiring.

Did you work longer than you needed to as a result of that flawed tax assumption? Even if you didn't I can see it happening to those who are not careful about it and need to get to a certain multiple of living expenses before retiring.

No, i had to work two years past when I otherwise would have retired, to qualify for retiree health coverage. No ACA back then, in 2009. So, my retirement date was already set in stone, as far as I was concerned. Oh well, more money has been nice too. :D

Back
Top Bottom