Join Early Retirement Today

Help Please - I don't understand
Old 06-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Help Please - I don't understand

This is most likely user error. But when I go into FIRECalc and put in all my parameters and hit "submit" I get the results page (success %, range of balances, avg balance, etc).

However, if I close that results page and then just immediately submit again without changing any parameters, I get different results. Can anyone help me understand?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I just opened FIRECalc, ran the default case, deleted the results page, ran the default case, deleted the results page, and ran the default case again. Same results all 3 times. Maybe some of the inputs were different?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
This is most likely user error. But when I go into FIRECalc and put in all my parameters and hit "submit" I get the results page (success %, range of balances, avg balance, etc).

However, if I close that results page and then just immediately submit again without changing any parameters, I get different results. Can anyone help me understand?
If you chose the "random performance" option on the Your Portfolio tab, every run will have a different outcome. That's the nature of a Monte Carlo calculation.

If you didn't select that option, then something has changed in your inputs between runs. I did what you described above (not using random performance) and each run had exactly the same results.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the reply. You nailed it. That was my problem. Seems like random investment returns is the most realistic option to chose.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. You nailed it. That was my problem. Seems like random investment returns is the most realistic option to chose.
Many of us don't think so since that eliminates the key benefit of FIRECalc - looking at actual historical returns. Take some time to read this and it will explain how the calculator works and the benefit of looking at historical returns rather than random.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've done plenty of runs and did not see this happen. I was always able to recreate prior results with the same inputs.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

Audrey, he was using the Monte Carlo option...

Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:

This is a new feature. You take whatever result you like best.

.Only kidding, they gave you the answer glad you figured it out.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the link to the FIRECalc write up. I do like the results I get better when I use the historical returns dating back to 1871. But it still kind of feels like those of us that may be looking to retire in the next couple of years need to think about the sequence of return risk. Does the Monte Carlo approach provide some insight into that risk? I guess one can try to mitigate SOR risk through a bit more of a cash or short term Fixed income bucket to help ride through down markets. But there is opportunity cost in that approach. Thanks for the help on the tool.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
But it still kind of feels like those of us that may be looking to retire in the next couple of years need to think about the sequence of return risk. Does the Monte Carlo approach provide some insight into that risk?
None that would give me any confidence.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But it still kind of feels like those of us that may be looking to retire in the next couple of years need to think about the sequence of return risk.
Don't get too hung up on it. Just think about your personal risk tolerance in general.

The attached chart shows the S&P 500 over the last 20 years. I retired where the red arrow is pointing, so I understand a bit about sequence of return. The bigger picture is that markets tend to recover. My nest egg is far larger today than it was then, so I can confirm that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Retirement.png (56.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Very helpful. Thanks