Investigate options not working?

vianney

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello,

New poster here, I was trying to explore all the options of the Calc and can't seem to use anything but the default 'investigate' choice. The other ones simply don't display any graph or data.
Tried 'expense ratio', 'portfolio allocation', and 'year of retirement'.... is there a trick to getting those to work?
Using Firefox with a number of extensions, but all the blockers are disabled.

thanks!

I think you may have to enable Flash. Some people / browsers disable Flash because it can be a security concern.

Last edited:
Agree that is is probably a flash issue. I'm on Linux, and there are some restrictions on Flash. I noticed that some of the investigate options don't provide a graphical output. The basic graph works though.

I was looking for an old thread/post where Andy (site owner) was looking into updating FIRECalc and asked for inputs, but I think he decided the quotes he was getting for the work were just too high. I don't think we've seen any feature updates, or even bug fixes in years, just an annual data update.

-ERD50

Agree that is is probably a flash issue. I'm on Linux, and there are some restrictions on Flash. I noticed that some of the investigate options don't provide a graphical output. The basic graph works though.

I was looking for an old thread/post where Andy (site owner) was looking into updating FIRECalc and asked for inputs, but I think he decided the quotes he was getting for the work were just too high. I don't think we've seen any feature updates, or even bug fixes in years, just an annual data update.

-ERD50

If Andy wanted me to do it, I probably could figure out something. I'm FIREd and would do it largely for the community karma, so my quote would be real cheap.

(Former software/firmware developer for two Fortune 500 companies.)

Any progress with FIRECalc Investigate Options?

Flash plugin is not working any longer, so was wondering if there is a solution to that? Investigate options are too valuable for the analysis to just drop them...

Flash plugin is not working any longer, so was wondering if there is a solution to that? Investigate options are too valuable for the analysis to just drop them...

I can still enable Flash on Chrome and run Firecalc graphs.

That's my understanding too.... will FIRECalc make commensurate changes so Investigate will still work?

Another article from the Adobe web site:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

I will venture a wild guess that Flash may still work if a user has it installed as a browser plugin (Safari, for example) but since security updates will no longer be available that prudent user wouldn't want to use it.

Edit to add: My wild guess is probably wrong, but in any case without security updates Flash probably shouldn't be used even if it did work.

Last edited:
If Andy wanted me to do it, I probably could figure out something. I'm FIREd and would do it largely for the community karma, so my quote would be real cheap.

(Former software/firmware developer for two Fortune 500 companies.)

I'd be happy to pitch in some bug fixing and small extensions. I'm a retired professional programmer (and manager of programmers, and operator of online services, and ...), with a wide array of languages and in-depth experience. I wouldn't be looking for any compensation, just to help out a project that I've benefitted from.

Back
Top Bottom