23andMe personal genetic testing

Is there any track record for how reliable these companies are? And accurate in their testing? I am intrigued but wondering whether it is worth it.

The reliability is dependent on the number of people who contribute their data, so it's constantly improving.

I was intrigued to see that I supposedly have and elevated risk for psoriasis, gallstones, and restless legs syndrome, but what does that really tell me?

Similarly, I have a decreased risk for a lot of things. Alzheimer's disease, macular degeneration (which my mother had), melanoma, and a bunch of others. That's heartening, but decreased risk is not no risk. We'll see.

What's interesting is that there are always a bunch of surveys they ask you to take, and as more survey results are tabulated, your results are continually updated so you get more information about those risks.

I have my results, and have sent a gift kit to a friend.

Does ancestry give you the health info? Their webpage only mentions ethnicity and family matching... Which fits into their core business.

I was curious if it gave you the same health info - like cancer risks, etc.
I don't know and I am wondering the same.

Don't wanna know the answer, don't ask the question.

I don't want to know about my chances for brain diseases. Maybe stupid on my part, but I don't want to 'know' what may happen if I live X more years.

I might get run over by the beer truck tomorrow. I don't want to know that in advance either.

MRG

Don't wanna know the answer, don't ask the question. I don't want to know about my chances for brain diseases. Maybe stupid on my part, but I don't want to 'know' what may happen if I live X more years. I might get run over by the beer truck tomorrow. I don't want to know that in advance either. MRG

While this interests me, I am sticking with your line of thinking. I believe myself to be in perfect health. I do not want to know anything to the contrary.

While this interests me, I am sticking with your line of thinking. I believe myself to be in perfect health. I do not want to know anything to the contrary.
I tend to agree with you guys. That's why I'm considering the Ancestry.com offer.

Me too. Especially what might never happen.

It all depends on one's perspective, and in that I can identify with the OP. Some folk may need to assume a not so positive genetic competition and a test like this might work to eliminate a concern instead of causing one.

At my physical yesterday I mentioned that I was curious about this service. My doc said go ahead and send him the report and he'd be happy to give me some feedback. Morphology? Longevity? Incept date? I asked him. He winked as he showed me the birthdate on my chart but for the rest simply said there were no imminent problems!

Ignorance is bliss--don't make me take my head out of the sand :)
I understand and appreciate that feeling. Also, occasionally share it. :) Anonymous bravado is so easy to demonstrate.

It all depends on one's perspective, and in that I can identify with the OP. Some folk may need to assume a not so positive genetic competition and a test like this might work to eliminate a concern instead of causing one.

I can appreciate that side as well.

I feel I know my major risks. Both parents lived too long ( DM passed at 92, DF is 96 and still going) and developed Dementias. I've always joked about 'save 1 bullet for me'. Problem is, I won't know what it's for.

MRG

Breaking news....

23andMe Inc., the Google Inc.-backed DNA analysis company co-founded by Anne Wojcicki, was told by U.S. regulators to halt sales of its main product because it's being sold without "marketing clearance or approval."

23andMe submitted FDA applications in July and September of 2012 for the least stringent of two types of medical device reviews. The FDA said the company failed to address "the issues described during previous interactions."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-backed-23andme-to-halt-dna-test-service.html

Last edited:
I've signed up for DW & myself. I am waiting for the kits to arrive.

When I told DW what I have just signed up for, her immediate reaction was "you paid $200 for what?"

I signed up mainly to understand where I came from. Any health related information will be a bonus.

Does it really take 6 - 8 weeks for the results to come back? That's a long wait ....

Based on today's news you may end up thinking 6 - 8 weeks is lightning fast.

I am mostly interested in ancestry, ethnicity info. Hopefully, 23andMe will figure something out for the company, or for my report (I will make a note when I sent my kit back).

I am always amazed at how fast news hits this forum. I guess that's what we do in ER :)

"Twitter? We don't need no stinkin' Twitter!"

(Apologies for the misquote reference in advance.)

-gauss

ouch! I sent my kit back about a month ago. I hope I get results at some point.

I have been meaning to signup with 23andme after reading Nords experience.

I was pretty surprised that they continue to advertise the kit on their website.

Here's 23andMe response on their facebook. There isn't much. I was expecting a little more helpful/informative response.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi everyone, Many of you have seen and been asking about this morning's news.

Here's the statement we've issued to the media: "We have received the warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration. We recognize that we have not met the FDA's expectations regarding timeline and communication regarding our submission. Our relationship with the FDA is extremely important to us and we are committed to fully engaging with them to address their concerns."

We'll continue to keep you updated here as we know more. Thanks for all the messages of support!

My kits went in the mail a couple weeks ago. I guess we'll see what happens.

I joked to my wife that it looks like 23andMe lost Google's protective cloak in the divorce (its founder was married to Sergey Brin).

I just looked it up...sent in my kit on 10/22/13.

My initial results were literally just posted...with more to be added in the next 2 weeks (according to their website).

omni

Back
Top Bottom