2nd Colonoscopy

I had my first at age 37 as my sister is a stage 3 colon cancer survivor. All clear for me, but I'm pretty sure I win the award for "first", at least so far in this thread. What do I win?... Oh, I know, another one at 42, and every five years thereafter. Still, worth the trouble, IMO.

Had my first colonoscopy when I was 48, I forget why my doctor recommended I get it that year. They found one large polyp but it was benign. Prep back then (2006) was awful, MUCH worse than the procedure itself. In fact, all I remember about the procedure was dozing off and then waking up, with them saying "we're all done!".

My second was last year, the prep was now much more manageable. They found 2 very minor polyps, also removed and benign. Again I do not recall anything other than dozing off and waking up.

I recovered quickly - I get very little anesthesia fog. DW forces me to take it easy and follow recovery directions even though I think I feel fine. :)

Put me in the “wake me when it’s over” camp...

My first one was very light anathesia. Doc said i could watch if I wanted to. So I was watching and chatting with the doc on the way up. Just about at the turn around point I think he gave the high sign to the anatheseologist. I was out for the return trip and the snipping. I think all the rest of mine have been full anathesia.

I thought the whole thing was pretty interesting. I did not hear (or make) any ASSMAN jokes

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. My ilecocal valve was removed in my resection for Crohns. And the diarreha was a major problem. Then mt GI doc got me on a med called cholestramine. It binds salts where that valve used to be. Take it in the am and good to go for the day (mostly)

I'm sorry for your Dad. It really is embarresing and frankly humiliating.

Thanks. Yeah, poor Dad had a rough go with it. He'd always swore he'd never wear Depends, but ended up having to do so. I don't think his condition was managed very well. Apparently, he wasn't told he could have ongoing trouble with diarrhea. He kept complaining about it, and the doctors kept recommending OTC remedies such as Imodium and bananas. They gave him some opiate drops, which didn't help much in such limited doses. I don't remember him being prescribed cholestramine, but possibly he was and didn't bother to take it because nothing else had worked. Glad it's working for you, that's a life changer!

I have a history of nausea after anesthesia. Before my mastectomy the anesthesiologist asked about this, and gave me Zofran, which totally took care of the problem. Now that I know this it eliminates a lot of anxiety for me if I have to have anesthesia. Doesn't hurt to ask for anti-nausea meds if this is you, too.

75 is the usual cutoff, since studies have shown little benefit after that age. But it's an individual decision.

My friend's mom was 78 when she had a diagnostic colonoscopy. She got a small tear which caused sepsis and she never came home from the hospital. Died a couple of weeks later.

My PCP recommends no colonoscopies after 75.

Practiced Anesthesiology for 33yrs before taking ER at age 63yrs. Have seen the speciality practiced all over the world. Americans in general prefer to be “totally out of it” for most surgical or diagnostic procedures.
Thanks Doc! I make no apologies for wanting to be out of it. Thank you for holding many lives in your hands over the years. It is a great responsibility.

I'll say this: if any doc wants to sedate you for something without an anesthesiologist, go elsewhere. They can't do two jobs at once.

That Propofol stuff is great. 3-2-1 out like a light.

Yes it is. And for me, zero side effects.

Look, before my first procedure, the GI doc gave me an anoscope to check for hemorrhoids. Did not like that at ALL. That was total BS! Put me under, please!!!!

Went to see the doc today, the stuff is called moviprep.

But of course YMMV. DW can't keep the stuff down. I have lots of practice drinking vile stuff (mostly with alcohol in it) so it doesn't bother me a bit.:D

LOL, I will ask about alcohol but can guess at the answer.

Had my first sigmoidoscopy at age 49 as part of a work up to determine the source of lower abdominal pain which ultimately turned out to be a couple hernias. That sigmoidoscopy revealed a large suspicious polyp so two weeks later colonoscopy #1 removed the cancerous polyp, confirmed no surrounding tissue was involved and also found and removed a couple more small pre-cancerous polyps. Then another sigmoidoscopy in 1 month to check on tissue healing. One year later colonoscopy #2 - all clear. Two years later colonoscopy #3 - all clear. Three years later colonoscopy #4 - all clear. Three years later colonoscopy #5 - all clear. Another three years and colonoscopy #6 found and removed three small pre-cancerous polyps. Just had colonoscopy #7 last month - all clear again. I’m now on Medicare and the three year plan will remain in place thank you very much.

Colon/stomach cancer runs in my family: grandfather died from stomach cancer. My sister waited until age 62 to get her first colonoscopy, discovered cancer and had colon resection surgery. All seems well now (8 years later) and she’s on the one year plan.

Notes: I much prefer Suprep over Moviprep. Suprep tastes like a salty lemon lime drink followed by 32 ounces of cool water within the next hour. Then repeat in another 10 hours or so. No big deal and Desitin is your friend ;-). After two sigmoidoscopy events, I’ll take a colonoscopy with propofol over consciousness any time. My current Gastro doc has a great sense of humor. His last words to me right before the anesthesia took effect: “Tell us when you’re asleep.” :).

Bottom line (pun intended): colonoscopies save lives. If you’re due, please get one!

My friend's mom was 78 when she had a diagnostic colonoscopy. She got a small tear which caused sepsis and she never came home from the hospital. Died a couple of weeks later.

My PCP recommends no colonoscopies after 75.
Same story exactly with my uncle at 80. There was a history of polyps. But he went in and didn't come out due to sepsis.

Last edited:
Save story exactly with my uncle at 80. There was a history of polyps. But he went in and didn't come out.
There are a lot things we should let go past a certain age.

Let's collectively try to remember we can say "no." But will our brains be able to remember? Colonoscopies are not the only procedures to remember to forget past age 75 or 80 or so.

BTW, don't read about dental extraction or root canal and sepsis. You may never want to go to the dentist again.

Last edited:
I have a strong family history of colon cancer (both mom and her mother died of it) so I’m on a five year schedule starting at age 45. All have been clean!

Things have changed in just 10years. The first two had a prep consisting of a ton of large pills to be taken with an unbelievable amount of fluids. Not bad, really, considering it was tasteless (just had to force even more water down). Each of those had a minor anasthesia where I was supposed to recall nothing, but I remember every minute. Not bad, though; just a pinch or two as it rounded the sharp bend of the colon.

Last time, though, I was given the vile suprep. The doc said the problem with the pills was that too many people failed to drink enough fluid with them. Plus, they’ve now gone to putting me all the way out.

I found a useful hint for taking suprep that seemed to work. Chill it way cold, and use a large bore straw at the back of the tongue. This avoided much of the taste. I will say that for me suprep was “in and done” within a couple hours, and I got a full night’s sleep without getting up once.

The preps I've had have been really horrible sometimes. I found one that's cheap, effective, and not as bad as the Rx version.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/MPU/MiralaxGatoradePrep.pdf

My GI doc said "whatever works".

Does anyone else feel like their GI doc is simply a scope operator? I get the feeling that my guy makes the most money with the least effort by running this scope all day, so less interested in understanding food sensitivities, diets to keep things running smoothly, processes to better understand food and lifestyle choices and how they affect GI health.

The preps I've had have been really horrible sometimes. I found one that's cheap, effective, and not as bad as the Rx version.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/MPU/MiralaxGatoradePrep.pdf

My GI doc said "whatever works".

Does anyone else feel like their GI doc is simply a scope operator? I get the feeling that my guy makes the most money with the least effort by running this scope all day, so less interested in understanding food sensitivities, diets to keep things running smoothly, processes to better understand food and lifestyle choices and how they affect GI health.

True life story:

This past October I went in for a Colonoscopy. Instead of that marvelous chemical cherry tasting stuff I had had back in 2014 they told me to do that Miralax/Dulcalax/gatorade thing. It didn't work. Did not clean me out sufficiently. And 13 1/2 hours after starting it I was still "finishing" it if you get my drift. That was withing about 20 mins of catching a cab to the hospital. Told them the results. Procedure cancelled.

Told my brother the story. Last week he goes in for his initial workup before his colonoscopy and mentioned the Miralax thing to the nurse. She scrunches up her eyebrows and says: "What?! That'll never work!"

I was skeptical myself at first but figured it was a cheaper way of doing it that saved on people's insurance deductibles vs buying the prescription stuff. A noble cause. I don't know what their Cancel-rate is due to insufficient clean-out. Since, I suspect, most people aren't as conscientious as me they don't mention it to the nurse and the procedure goes ahead.... it isn't very well done due to lack of visibility... but they don't tell the patient. They just say: Yeah, everything looked OK, go home now. OR.... there is a higher
re-redo rate in these cases and.... ca-ching! They pay twice.

I get the feeling that my guy makes the most money with the least effort by running this scope all day, so less interested in understanding food sensitivities, diets to keep things running smoothly, processes to better understand food and lifestyle choices and how they affect GI health.

It's hard to share what you don't have. Most American doctors get very little nutrition training. Somewhere I'd seen the number of hours, wasn't many.

My last PCP was a good doc, nutrition he'd get his nurse involved. I think she had her RD as well.

True story.

At my first procedure I overheard the nurse going through the standard questions with the man behind the curtain in the bed next to me.

Nurse: "Did you have anything to eat today?"

Man (innocently): "No, just a couple of scrambled eggs and some toast."

:facepalm:

It's hard to share what you don't have. Most American doctors get very little nutrition training..

No but every doctor I've ever had has had no problem telling me I needed to be on statins while having no data at all on my health or lifestyle or diet because ..... "most Americans don't eat right"

Dave Barry's classic column on colonoscopies is worth a read... A journey into my colon — and yours

Great article that I had read before but well worth another read for a few chuckles. Just one comment about the American diet and sedentary lifestyle. The US probably leads the world in diabetes, heart disease and cancer and all pretty much due to poor diet and poor health habits. We have to be the junk food capital of the world with a Micky Ds and Dunkin Donut on just about every damn corner. Throw into the equation of crummy school lunches and it is no wonder health care costs are high. I'll admit in my working stiff years I was guilty of poor eating habits and being in management probably spent way too much time sitting on my duff writing, reading reports. Since I have retired 12 years ago I exercise regularly and eat healthier and by far feel better than I did even in my 40s. Some of the suspected causes of polyps and colon cancer are; too much red meat in your diet, smoking, drinking, sedentary life style and lack of fiber. If you are over fifty, do yourself and your love ones a favor and get a colonoscopy, it isn't a big deal and may just extend your life and your quality of life going forward.

No but every doctor I've ever had has had no problem telling me I needed to be on statins while having no data at all on my health or lifestyle or diet because ..... "most Americans don't eat right"

I'd find a new DR.

Even my last PCP, who knew little about nutrition didn't push statins. In 2013 I was hospitalized and had a full cardiac workup. The cardiologist pushed hard to add a statin. When I asked my PCP, he said he'd prescribe it if I really wanted it, but he suggested He Wouldn't take one if his numbers were the same as mine! I didn't need any convincing past his words.

Even my new young PCP, who does appear to have more nutritional education, doesn't push statins. My last bloodwork was a little off, she said just keep eating salmon to help your good cholesterol.

Last edited:
I'd find a new DR.

Even my last PCP, who knew little about nutrition didn't push statins. In 2013 I was hospitalized and had a full cardiac workup. The cardiologist pushed hard to add a statin. When I asked my PCP, he said he'd prescribe it if I really wanted it, but he suggested He Wouldn't take one if his numbers were the same as mine! I didn't need any convincing past his words.

Even my new young PCP, who does appear to have more nutritional education, doesn't push statins. My last bloodwork was a little off, she said just keep eating salmon to help your good cholesterol.

This is an ongoing problem that is not easily solved. I covered the "find a new doctor' thing. Every doctor I have ever had. How much panning for gold can a person do? Especially since life experience (not "latest studies") shows they are pretty much the same. I cannot waste life looking for the ONE MD who isn't "in on it."

Ultimately I am holding the bag for my health not the doctor. The mds get paid no matter what. My position is I am paying them for access. Unless he/she spouts exactly what I already know I know they don't know what they're talking about and I regard it as being flipped off. When I want their opinion Ill ask for it. Then I will verify it. But I am done looking for Mr Goodbar.

Since, I suspect, most people aren't as conscientious as me they don't mention it to the nurse and the procedure goes ahead.... it isn't very well done due to lack of visibility... but they don't tell the patient. They just say: Yeah, everything looked OK, go home now. OR.... there is a higher re-redo rate in these cases and.... ca-ching! They pay twice.

I had one in which the prep hadn't worked well enough. They ASKED about the effects and, when we determined that things weren't cleaned out, they...ummm... tried cleaning it out from the exterior. (I'm so glad I don't know you guys IRL.) That wasn't sufficient either. They gave me a 2-day prep the next time, which wasn't all that bad, and I was not charged for the second (successful) try.

I had one in which the prep hadn't worked well enough. They ASKED about the effects and, when we determined that things weren't cleaned out, they...ummm... tried cleaning it out from the exterior. (I'm so glad I don't know you guys IRL.) That wasn't sufficient either. They gave me a 2-day prep the next time, which wasn't all that bad, and I was not charged for the second (successful) try.

This is good to know but maybe you were just working with good peeps...? I don't think thy are all corrupt. Just most of them and the system as "a thing", as the Young People would say nowadays.

Why 2 day prep? My first C'scopy was a one-day no-eat zone with a 6 hour chemical induced joyride. That was the cherry flavored stuff I mentioned. I'll make sure they don't try the 2-day number on me.

I'll make sure they don't try the 2-day number on me.

The two-day was because the one-day didn't work well enough. Still not sure why- the nurse said the magnesium citrate usually has an "explosive" effect. Actually, I wish I'd saved the instructions for the 2-day although there are some on-line. The first day wasn't terribly restrictive: some limits on what you could eat (had to be mostly soft foods) and something OTC that got the process started but I still got a good night's sleep. Not bad at all.

I've had the Rx version fail to "get 'er done". That's why the doc said "whatever works". We are not all the same.

Back
Top Bottom