For those who had skin abscess - was CT involved in diagnosing?

And what did the EOB say? Did they pay for it? Did you owe a deductible or a coinsurance?

Did they deny the claim (in which case you may owe nothing) ?

The total provider's charge is over 8k - my responsibility is 3k or so. I don't think it's an outrageous amount - I went to US based hospital ER, I'm not delusional. Having said that - I just don't think the care offered made any sense. Lesson learned.

Your primary care physician should be able to treat an abscess of that size (a quarter).

Your wrong about ERs doing just the minimum. They often do the maximum, and do much more than they need to do. They try to take care of everything possible, and overkill and overbilling is a feature of ERs. But a CT scan for a quarter sized abscess in a location far from the abdomen? No. Just no.

Also, a dermatologist probably won't see any patients with an abscess. Some abscesses in some locations require hospital admission and IV antibiotics. Most do not. A CT scan is almost never done, and there was no need for an abdominal CT scan for a small abscess on the buttock.

A local hospital changed contracted physician ER groups dropping the reasonable local physicians for maximalists from out of town. The other docs now joke about things that show up on the "routine ER CT scans". It's good for hospital revenue. Few patients have the resources or motivation to complain

Back
Top Bottom