2nd Colonoscopy

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had my first at age 60 and had a half dozen small polyps 4-8mm. This morning at age 66 had a second colonoscopy and they snipped out 18 of the little buggers, mostly small but one was in the 20mm range. Sorry for sharing this story but I think we all can relate to the procedure and we do share quite a bit on this forum. OK, so being the nerdy type I wanted to see how these polyps are measured as one would think (in my case anyways) they are measured in diameter. In googling and reading up on the different processes and methodologies to measure these things there seems to be quite a discrepancy. Of course after the procedure I wasn't in the frame of mind to ask the Dr. who did the procedure. He did recommend a follow-up in year and said if anything comes back from the lab that is suspicious he would let me know as well as my GP. OK, at 18, do I hold the polyp record for the forum ? Feel free to share your colonoscopy tales. As I was getting prepped this morning the nurse told me this was a golf course day and they had to get in 18 holes. I swear these nurse in the colonoscopy department are really warped. The other nurse came in singing the theme song for rawhide, colon, colon, colon, rawhide. I chuckled a bit but did get the humor.

Last edited:
I had four or five one time. No clue about what size, it was probably around a decade ago.

I had one done at age 50 at UCLA. It seemed like it was over in 5 minutes (I guess it was the Fentanyl sedation). They found nothing. I have to go back at age 60 for another. Although now they do stool DNA test first instead.

Had 4 of them at my age 50, with them all being large, in the 15 to 25mm range. Whoa!

Had a follow up scope the next year (yes, 1 yr) because of this. Found 3 tiny ones.

Had a follow-follow up at age 54, CLEAN!

I was having symptoms at age 50. I firmly believe this procedure saved my life, or at least saved me serious medical treatment.

I'm a huge supporter of the screening!

Had my first colonoscopy from a doctor who did both colonoscopies and gastroscopies. After the nurses had gotten everything ready, and the IV was in place, they discussed among them selves plans for the up-coming Christmas party. One of them came over and asked me if I was feeling OK, and if I had any questions.

I asked if the doctor used the same camera for both ends.

Next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room...

Had 4 of them at my age 50, with them all being large, in the 15 to 25mm range. Whoa!

Had a follow up scope the next year (yes, 1 yr) because of this. Found 3 tiny ones.

Had a follow-follow up at age 54, CLEAN!

I was having symptoms at age 50. I firmly believe this procedure saved my life, or at least saved me serious medical treatment.

I'm a huge supporter of the screening!

What kind of symptoms Joe, if you don’t mind my asking. Bleeding?

My doctor orders the get test for me at age 50 and every 5 years if there's no problem. When you have had polups, followup tests are warranted because cancer fstarts from polups.

They watch me very closely. My wife is also watched even closer since she had uterine cancer 10 years ago.

These tests are not such a big deal since they are sedating patients better when I got my first test. And there is no reason to risk putting the tests off.

I called today to make an appointment for my third colonoscopy. I had one at age 51 and they found 10 polyps, then a second colonoscopy three years later and they found 3 more polyps.

I don't mind the prep as much as recovering from the anesthesia, I always feel awful afterwards.

at 50 I had one small "pre-cancerous" one. GP noted if it was left in for a decade it would not have become cancerous.

Age 55, none. You can have you record... I celebrate the none!

I had my second last year at 60. I'm now on a five year plan as my sister did have colon cancer.

She was smart and didn't do her first colonoscopy till age 73! Had 6" removed from the colon and seems fine. However I have her diagnosis to deal with.

Actually I'm about ready for a 6 month redo, my last one wasn't a clean scan. Doc thought some herbal meds screwed it up.

Totally unrelated but I've seen a new provider offering $1000 colonoscopies($500 for upper GI) for those without insurance coverage.

I don't mind the prep as much as recovering from the anesthesia, I always feel awful afterwards.

That's not uncommon. DW is often sick and is "out of sorts" for at least a day after getting any anesthesia but it doesn't bother me a bit. I wake up, get dressed, and I'm outa there. Although one time walking out to the parking lot I didn't remember if I'd put my pants on and had to look down to see if I had. (Yes, I had.)

That made it clear there's a reason they tell you not to drive afterward.:LOL:

What kind of symptoms Joe, if you don’t mind my asking. Bleeding?

Yes. Pretty significant too. I was getting ready to make my "age 50" exam, but kept putting it off. Then one day, my body got my attention in a very startling way.

Since this is important, let me speak more about this. I'm sorry to get detailed, but you need to know.

For a few years, I'd occasionally notice a little something, a "streak" if you will. I could always write it off as hard jello or tomato skins or some other thing I concocted in my imagination. The occult test given by my GP was always clear. The timing was simply out of sync.

I also had a few low readings when donating blood. Chalked it up to giving too much.

Then, one day, bright red. Really bright. I'm not a doctor, but let's just say it was oxygenated.

Still, maybe it is just a hemorrhoid, right? Nope.

I was lucky because this hard-to-not-notice announcement isnt typical, although it does happen. Don't expect to get symptoms. Plenty of people have zero until they have a large tumor.

I can't remember the pathology name, but whatever the polyp was, my GI doc said it was the most signficant of the pre-cancerous types, and I definitely needed follow up.

The beauty of it is that when you wake up, you may get unsettling news, but they already did what needs to be done! No immediate follow up.

Last edited:
Had a few polyps on 1st screen - age 57. So am on 5 year schedule, but will probably stretch it to six (hate the prep). Knew a few duffers who never got screened. By the time cancer was diagnosed, they were stage 4. All died within months of diagnosis.

Just a note to all posting on this topic. This type of screening is very effective and a difficult type of procedure to talk about. I did not hesitate to get screened at age 50 after a co-worker was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer that spread to his liver. In fact a dozen other people in our office went through the screening after watching him through his treatment. He was diagnosed at age 62. He was part of the 85% men over the age of 20 that my doctor says never visits a doctor for annual check-ups and preventive care. He had not been to a doctor in over 20 years. His oncologist told him that it was probably a polyp when he was 50 and had he been screened, the cancer would have been prevented. Instead he went through chemotherapy after surgery. He was given a 60% 5 year survival after he responded to the treatment. I saw what he went through and anyone squeamish about doing this procedure should think twice about skipping this screening.

Just a note to all posting on this topic. This type of screening is very effective and a difficult type of procedure to talk about. I did not hesitate to get screened at age 50 after a co-worker was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer that spread to his liver.

+1!

I too have seen a couple of guys skip screening and then go through the chemo and treatments. One survived, one didn't. It for sure made a believer out of me.

I joke that this is The Test We Do Not Discuss in Polite Company but actually, we HAVE to. Colon cancer is eminently preventable.

My story: I thought it was one of those things they scared us into to make money but when my gynecologist suggested an occult blood test when I was 52, I was OK with that. It was positive, which was a wakeup call even tough I knew it wasn't a definite sign I had a problem. The first scope turned up a tubular villiform adenoma with mild dysplasia- that was 13 years ago and there's a good chance it might be cancerous by now if it weren't gone. (Yes, I went back and thanked my gynecologist.) The 5-year test turned up one that was far less serious.

They've made a believer out of me, and I'm already telling DS (age 33) this is something he'll have to do.

Freedom56, thanks for the comment and one of the nice thing about this forum is I feel comfortable posting just about anything. And yes you are correct this screening is very effective in preventing a possible future cancer and is a no brainer. After the procedure was telling DW about feeling sorry for the folks that don't have the means to get this done as they will probably die an early and miserable death which is easily preventable. Like most if not all here, no fun watching someone die from cancer.

+1!

I too have seen a couple of guys skip screening and then go through the chemo and treatments. One survived, one didn't. It for sure made a believer out of me.
+2 Well said.

<more frank discussion ahead>

The prep isn't even that bad. People want to think of it like the stomach flu or something, but IT IS NOT. It is a breeze in comparison. Most of us think of diarrhea as feeling like you will die. That's partly because you probably have all kinds of other stuff going on in your system from whatever is attacking you.

Prep isn't like that. You drink the preparation, and then feel the urge and go in 1/2 hour. No big deal. No fever, no weakness, none of that. Just go. To me the worst part of prep is not eating and having a liquid diet only.

The procedure usually now is administered with an anesthesiologist. Most use propofol. They will monitor you carefully. It is safe. This is not a Michael Jackson situation. One reason MJ used propofol is there really is very little side effect. It is unlike true general anesthesia which puts you deeper since you are cut and sewed. They get you lightly under, but under enough to not remember.

I wake up, have a discussion with the doctor, and am chowing down on breakfast 1/2 hour later. No issues.

After the procedure was telling DW about feeling sorry for the folks that don't have the means to get this done as they will probably die an early and miserable death which is easily preventable. Like most if not all here, no fun watching someone die from cancer.

One thing that's a stumbling block for some people, sadly, is the need for a driver. I once saw a Letter to the Editor from a woman who needed some procedure (if not this, it could have been) and she had to have a driver because she'd be sedated. I know the facilities I've used have specifically said no taxi or Uber types- they probably want someone who will get you safely into the house and to bed if necessary. She didn't know anyone who could help, and a private service called "Seniors Helping seniors" wanted $22/hour. Fortunately, I know people who could do this for me (and vice versa) now that I'm widowed, and could pay for the help in a pinch, but it's sad that would hold some people back.

Had my first colonoscopy at about age 53. They found maybe 3 but one was 2 or 3 CENTIMETERS. They removed it but since it was so large they had me back in 6 months for a sigmoidoscopy. Google it but it was to see if everything healed since that polyp was so large. Everything was fine. Then doctor wanted me back in a year for another colonoscopy just because of the first colonoscopy. Everything was fine so they told me to come back in 5 years.

At age 60 I had my next colonoscopy. They found a few small polyps. I am now on the 3 year plan.

Since I have a diagnosis, as opposed to just screening, it is no longer covered as a preventative procedure. The entire $1,600 was my responsibility. That's fine. Just letting you know the financial aspect of polyps.

One thing that's a stumbling block for some people, sadly, is the need for a driver. I once saw a Letter to the Editor from a woman who needed some procedure (if not this, it could have been) and she had to have a driver because she'd be sedated. I know the facilities I've used have specifically said no taxi or Uber types- they probably want someone who will get you safely into the house and to bed if necessary.

The last time I was in the hospital (different issue, but I was going to get anesthesia) I asked the nurse about that, and she said that was one issue. That and apparently there's some liability to the hospital if the taxi driver robs or swindles you because they'd know you "don't have all your marbles". So I said "Okay, but there have to be people coming here who simply don't have anyone else available. What happens with them?" The hospital is big enough to have it's own patient transport service so they use that. I didn't ask about the cost.

You may want to get records from the previous procedures and talk w/ the doc about them. When I had my first cataract operation, I was nauseous for many hrs. later. Told the doc and she had the anesthesia procedure changed to use a different chemical. Now I take those records whenever I need anesthesia (e.g. colonoscopy) to show the doc and they may be able to adjust accordingly. Never had a problem since.

One thing that's a stumbling block for some people, sadly, is the need for a driver. I once saw a Letter to the Editor from a woman who needed some procedure (if not this, it could have been) and she had to have a driver because she'd be sedated. I know the facilities I've used have specifically said no taxi or Uber types- they probably want someone who will get you safely into the house and to bed if necessary. She didn't know anyone who could help, and a private service called "Seniors Helping seniors" wanted $22/hour. Fortunately, I know people who could do this for me (and vice versa) now that I'm widowed, and could pay for the help in a pinch, but it's sad that would hold some people back.

I was in the waiting room being a driver for someone, and I saw this exact thing.
A young fellow was in for the procedure, and when they called his name, they asked for his driver.
He said it was his sister and she went to the mall and would be back in 2 hours.
He had to phone her and get her there to wait there, otherwise they would not take him in back.
His sister showed up 15 minutes later.

Back
Top Bottom