5th metatarsal (foot bone) fracture and running

lightspeed

Recycles dryer sheets
3 weeks before a scheduled marathon, I decided to go skateboarding with my teenage son. Of course, I stepped off the skateboard while moving kinda fast, landed on the side of my foot, and fractured my 5th metatarsal. It is non-displaced, and supposed to heal in a soft walking boot. Anyone out there with experience on recovery? Especially getting back to normal running?

3 weeks before a scheduled marathon, I decided to go skateboarding with my teenage son. Of course, I stepped off the skateboard while moving kinda fast, landed on the side of my foot, and fractured my 5th metatarsal. It is non-displaced, and supposed to heal in a soft walking boot. Anyone out there with experience on recovery? Especially getting back to normal running?

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. It will heal in about 2-3 monhs if you don't displace it . I was able to ski after 2 months but I think I could have earlier(maybe one month) but the ski boot made displacement unlikely. not sure about running. Maybe a tensor bandage might help. Good news is that a cast is not required and the soft boot really isn't needed after a few weeks. Good luck.

Funny you should mention skiing because I was thinking I wish it was winter, because the ski boot is a good immobilization device.

Don't push too hard. It will probably seem like it is healed in a few weeks but going back to running before it is complelty healed will put too much load on it. I would just guess that running is out for 2 months or more.

Years ago I broke my little piggy to the point it was sticking out 90 degrees: ER doc just yanked it back in place and sent me on my way. About a month ago jerked it out, MAY have broken it, all sorts of colors but not displaced. I gave up marathons (well, I did ONE :LOL:) but run about 5 miles 3-4 times a week. First time after this last incidence it was noticeable, especially going downhill. Within a week or two not noticeable. But I just jog along at 9-10 minute miles now. If you had a real break I wouldn't expect to finish a marathon without substantial pain and/or inflammation. Good luck!

Guess I might come out of this a better swimmer and biker.....

Back
Top Bottom