Retirement - 90 days in

One of the first things I resolved to do was get out and do something social each week. Going out to lunch with others was one of those things.

We have found that much easier here on the mainland. Back in Paradise, many of the otherwise "social" things we used to do have been cancelled or relegated to Zoom. Actually Zoom has some advantages - including much greater participation, but it's still not the same.

On the mainland, we've attended churches, funerals, picnics, family gatherings, birthdays, couples eating out or home visiting, etc. etc. I hope upon our return, things will open up - again. Ige recently mandated BACK to 50% which, in reality, causes some places to go out of business or at least shut down. At best, menus and programs are dramatically curtailed. Not fun, but I sort of understand why it's happening. YMMV

We have found that much easier here on the mainland. Back in Paradise, many of the otherwise "social" things we used to do have been cancelled or relegated to Zoom. Actually Zoom has some advantages - including much greater participation, but it's still not the same.

Good point. I momentarily forgot about Covid. I Er’d in 2011 so of course actual social gatherings were possible. The lockdown here in Thailand began easing a little a couple of weeks ago. I am meeting a friend to walk in one of the parks this afternoon and maybe a bite to eat.

Good point. I momentarily forgot about Covid. I Er’d in 2011 so of course actual social gatherings were possible. The lockdown here in Thailand began easing a little a couple of weeks ago. I am meeting a friend to walk in one of the parks this afternoon and maybe a bite to eat.

Just curious, but have you found ready availability of Covid vax there? I've heard through some folks I know who have not been able to get it. I'm guessing they are relatively remote - not in a major urban area.

Just curious, but have you found ready availability of Covid vax there? I've heard through some folks I know who have not been able to get it. I'm guessing they are relatively remote - not in a major urban area.

They are still going through multiple different categories. Expats over 60 and with pre-existing health conditions are eligible for free SinoVac or AstraZeneca vaccines. I have had 2 AstraZeneca shots. There are a few Pfizer shipments as well and 10% of those have been going to foreigners. Everyone in a few tourist areas have been eligible, Phuket and Pattaya, because they are trying to get these areas to 70% to allow tourists to open up. My Thai wife, 40 years old and not working, is not yet been able to register for an appointment. They will be vaccinating into next year to get well above 50-60%.

They are still going through multiple different categories. Expats over 60 and with pre-existing health conditions are eligible for free SinoVac or AstraZeneca vaccines. I have had 2 AstraZeneca shots. There are a few Pfizer shipments as well and 10% of those have been going to foreigners. Everyone in a few tourist areas have been eligible, Phuket and Pattaya, because they are trying to get these areas to 70% to allow tourists to open up. My Thai wife, 40 years old and not working, is not yet been able to register for an appointment. They will be vaccinating into next year to get well above 50-60%.

Wow. That's a bit scary. The folks I know indicated that only the Chinese vax has any availability and they haven't been able to get it yet. Take good care of yourselves!

I'm new here, and about 2 months from pulling the plug on my career.

Very Much appreciate your insight!

I never realized how stressful contemplating retirement would be. (we're also selling a house and looking to buy another about 3 hours away, so that's adding to the stress)

I'm new here, and about 2 months from pulling the plug on my career.

Very Much appreciate your insight!

I never realized how stressful contemplating retirement would be. (we're also selling a house and looking to buy another about 3 hours away, so that's adding to the stress)

Be sure to relay your "story" in the "HI, I AM...." forum here: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/

Back
Top Bottom