8 Foods Worth Buying Frozen

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Some no surprise, but others were to me. Of course it depends a lot on how the item is being used (ie, frozen blueberries are fine in many recipes, but not as good for eating alone). FWIW

8 Foods That Are Worth Buying Frozen Slideshow | The Daily Meal

Carrots
Broccoli
Cherries
Bell Peppers
Spinach
Cauliflower
Berries
Butternut Squash

Thanks for the link. We have started buying more frozen produce just to avoid waste. Otherwise with perishable produce we don't always use it up before it is too late.

I just started buying all my broccoli and cauliflower frozen. Once it's steamed I honestly can't tell a difference in the taste or texture.

In the summer I grow a bunch of bell peppers and freeze them for winter use. Red bell peppers are so expensive too, but I can get a lot of peppers off a $2 plant.

I just started buying all my broccoli and cauliflower frozen. Once it's steamed I honestly can't tell a difference in the taste or texture.

Red bell peppers are so expensive too, but I can get a lot of peppers off a $2 plant.
We eat fresh, lightly steamed broccoli at least once a week. I guess we'll have to try frozen broc, I always assumed it would come out like a 'mushy' substitute for fresh.

I've often thought of just keeping a mirepoix (onion-celery-carrots) and/or holy trinity (onion-celery-pepper) on hand in the freezer instead of buying fresh as well always do now...

Last edited:
Thanks! From personal experience I would also add peas to this list. I can't tell the difference with them either.

Thanks! From personal experience I would also add peas to this list. I can't tell the difference with them either.
Agreed, and corn (except when on the cob is in season). We keep both on hand in the freezer.

We eat fresh, lightly steamed broccoli at least once a week. I guess we'll have to try frozen broc, I always assumed it would come out like a 'mushy' substitute for fresh.

We buy ours at Costco (like Sam's or BJ's). I think there are 4-5 smaller bags inside, which also helps with freezer burn. I'm kind of a broccoli snob, and I honestly cannot tell the difference. It's especially good in stir fry.

I grow 3 of these and a 4th I used to but don't now. I would not buy any of these frozen with the exception of berries. Now peas I buy frozen, why aren't they on that list? In season I grow them but other than that 30-40 day period I see no other option. We used to eat canned peas as kids, no wonder kids don't like peas! :cool:

Agree that (tiny little) peas and corn should also be on the list. Frozen berries are good in some applications but aren't really a substitute for fresh. And although I do keep frozen broccoli on hand, I think fresh really does taste better when it's just plain steamed. We eat enough of it that it never goes bad, anyway.

Salmon

I guess the list was only for fruits and veggies?

I don't see anything on the list I would prefer frozen except for spinach - and that's just in certain applications. Texture is very important to me, and for most fruits and veggies, freezing them changes their texture dramatically.

Veggies I like frozen - green peas, okra, collard greens, any kind of field peas.

Last edited:
Obviously they exist, but I don't know if I've seen fresh peas in a grocery store or even at a farmers market. I've never used anything but frozen.

I've often thought of just keeping a mirepoix (onion-celery-carrots) and/or holy trinity (onion-celery-pepper) on hand in the freezer instead of buying fresh as well always do now...
That could work.

Obviously they exist, but I don't know if I've seen fresh peas in a grocery store or even at a farmers market. I've never used anything but frozen.
Frequently available in the Pacific Northwest. Otherwise, highly seasonal.

I love Trader Joe's frozen red raspberries. They are especially good in plain yogurt.

I just picked up some frozen cheese tortellini and will cook it (them?) in chicken broth.

Otherwise we buy frozen broccoli, peas, sweet corn, blueberries and cherries. We also saute frozen green beans in butter til they're brown.

My sister-in-law swears by frozen bread dough which she uses to make cinnamon rolls.

How to find decent brand of frozen salmon? I did buy a bag of it: we ate about a half-piece each and threw out the rest of the bag.
First of all, I only buy Alaskan sockeye, coho(silver), or king. And I buy it in the original frozen packaging. Usually sockeye is what is available. King and coho are usually only available fresh.

HEB and Costco carry Trident brand which is a good one.

I have been buying whole sides (fillet of half the fish) in the original Trident packaging. It might have been frozen while still on the boat, or very shortly thereafter.

Transport of salmon to South Texas - pretty far from point of origin, so I am always skeptical of the quality of "fresh" salmon.

But fish and shellfish freeze marvelously well as long as its done very close to harvest.

Last edited:
I just picked up some frozen cheese tortellini and will cook it (them?) in chicken broth.

Otherwise we buy frozen broccoli, peas, sweet corn, blueberries and cherries. We also saute frozen green beans in butter til they're brown.

My sister-in-law swears by frozen bread dough which she uses to make cinnamon rolls.
Bread/pizza dough freezes extremely well, (those yeasties aren't fazed much at all), as does most cookie dough. The final baked goods freeze very well as well.

We throw our "extra" ravioli (from Costco purchase) in the freezer all the time. Does great.

I'm really amazed at how many prepared foods freeze super well.

Y'all sound like a bunch of health nuts.
I thought this thread would be about the 8 top varieties of TV dinners :LOL:

Trader Joe has really good frozen green beans, one type organic, one not. Their frozen Brussels sprouts are also good. Personally I do not like frozen greens of any kind, or broccoli.

TJ has excellent frozen berries. Also various shrimp and scallop varieties.

Ha

Last edited:
Except for the squash, I'd usually eat all of these (even the peas) fresh and in salads. I cannot imagine wanting to go near a frozen carrot. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom