A1C and carbs and me

Katsmeow, did your feeling of coldness improve any with the Thyroid medicine?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Katsmeow, did your feeling of coldness improve any with the Thyroid medicine?

That is an interesting question. I hadn't really thought about it. Now that I do think about it, I actually haven't been complaining about being cold as often. So...possibly.

Katsmeow - You haven't mentioned exercise in your very detailed, scientific report. I don't know as much about blood sugar as others on the forum, but I have read that regular, vigorous exercise can affect blood sugar levels. Have you considered including your exercise levels in your monitoring, to see whether vigorous exercise could counteract the effects of a particular meal?

Amethyst

I posted previously about my recent blood test results. I was surprised by an A1C of 5.9% given that my fasting blood glucose as 84 and my triglycerides were 104. I also eat lowish carb usually in the 100 to 120g a day range, occasionally higher or lower.

An A1C at that level supposedly maps out to an average blood glucose of around 123. I know this can vary and be misleading if you have long-lived red blood cells.

From research, I know that results like I received could be valid if I was spiking really high blood sugars which took a long time to come down. I wanted to know so I bought a meter and have been testing my blood glucose. My fasting blood glucose in the mornings have 87 to 94. I had one outlier at 110, but I retested 20 minutes later (without having eaten) and got a reading of 87. So I think the 84 fasting result at the end of December seems reasonably accurate. (I'm using a Relion Prime meter which my internet research indicates tends to read slightly high).

I have also been testing after meals, usually 1 and 2 hours after although occasionally I vary from it. Some of the results have been surprising. It is clear to me that some foods do raise my blood sugar to a higher level than I would like. Others are a bit more equivocal. And, some carbs do nothing bad at all.

I read Jenny Ruhl's book on how to do this. She gives 2 potential targets to shoot for. One is to be at 120 after an hour, 100 after 2 which is what she says truly normal people end up at. Another option (which I gather is more for people not truly normal but which she seems to think is sufficient) is 140 after 1 hour and 120 after 2 hours. She says is up the individual which target to shoot for. My thought is to be close to the 120/100 most of the time, with it rarely going over and to work really hard to never go above the 140/120.

My results so far have been interesting. I’ve tried during this time to eat as normally as possible so I can get a feel for my usual diet. I did eat a few things that, in actuality, I eat only a few times a year but I wanted to see what they would do. I put things with carbs in 3 categories: OK, Problem, Borderline/Mixed. (Things that aren’t carbs are all OK for me in terms of blood sugar).

Since I’ve been testing my total daily carbs have ranged from 46 to 129. Average daily carbs is 99.

Would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have looked at this kind of thing.

Things that so far are OK:

Pistachios (9g carbs)

Quest bars (25g carbs, 16g fiber or 21g carbs, 17g fiber)

Dark chocolate square (4 to 7g carbs depending on whether 70% or 86%) – at least 70% cocoa (this is one square which isn’t a problem. That is only about 60 calories.)

Whole wheat tortilla with high fiber, with hummus, and half cup blackberries (25g carbs, 13g fiber) – I had this twice and neither time did do anything problematical

Whole wheat tortilla with high fiber, with scrambled egg, lowfat cheese, bell pepper (13g carbs, 8g fiber)

Tuna Salad Sandwich – this was on 2 pieces of 45 calorie whole wheat bread (19g carbs, 5g fiber) – Much better than I expected. 118 at 1 hour, 106 at 2 hours, and 100 at 3 hours.

Problem:

Salad with chicken, greens, bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, 3 T. friend wonton strips, 2 T. Lite honey mustard dressing (38g carbs, 6g fiber) – 140 at 1 hour, although it was down to 99 at 2 hours. Next time I will do this without the wonton strips

Tortilla chips (about 18), chicken fajitas with 2 whole wheat tortillas, about 3/4 serving Mexican rice, few bites of charro beans (94g carbs, 9g fiber) (this is a meal I rarely have, but wanted to see the result) – 160 at 1 hour, 135, at 2 hours, 116 at 3 hours, 90 at hours. Definitely not having this. I think at least the chips and rice have to go. I might be able to have 1 of the tortillas, but not sure. Will check next time we go there.

Panera – Thai Chicken Salad, Mediterranean Flatbread, chips - (73g carbs, 8g fiber) 158 at 1 hour, 136 at 2 hours, 108 at 3.5 hours. I was surprised by this as it was so much worse than the BBQ chicken salad, turkey chili, and chips that I have in the borderline/mixed category. However, this meal has more refined carbs and slightly more carbs and a little less fiber.. Specifically, the fried wontons on this salad (the BBQ chicken has corn and beans instead) and the flatbread itself (the other meal has turkey chili with beans instead). Both meals have 1 oz. chips. I don’t actually usually eat this meal, but wanted to test it out. The BBQ Chicken salad with turkey chili is my common meal there.

Panera – Cinnamon Crunch bagel. I expected this to be bad. I don’t often have this, but was curious. My blood glucose was 87 right before starting to eat it. An hour after eating it was 179. Holy cow! At 3 hours (I was not able to test at 2 hours) it was back to 100. No more of these for me.

Potato chips, 1.87 oz (35g carbs, 2g fiber) – 121 at 1 hour, 131 at 2 hours, 102 at 3 hours. This is a larger serving than I usually eat (1 oz). 1 oz. might work out OK for me, perhaps with a meal, but need to check.

Borderline/Mixed (these are things that don’t go above the 140/120 and are close to the 120/100 but might go a bit above or where I need to investigate more)

Panera – BBQ chicken salad (half), cup turkey chili, 1 oz. Panera potato chips (64g carbs, 14g fiber) – Somewhat to my surprise this was 118 at 1 hour. I wasn’t able to test at 2 hours, but it was at 112 at 3 hours and was 79 at 4 hours. I was reasonably happy with it and think it would be fine if I dropped the chips. I’m going to try this meal again and test at 2 hours.

Luvo Chicken Verde Poblano Burrito (38g carbs, 6g fiber) – I had this a couple of times. Did not go above 120 at one hour but was a little over 100 at an hour. It was....OK...but I don't love it that much that I necessarily want to keep it to try again.

Luvo Breakfast Burrito (38g carbs, 4g fiber) – Was 95 at one hour, 111 at 2 hours, 124 at 3.5 hours and 107 at 4.5 hours.

Grilled fish with a Green Giant vegetable medley that had potatoes as one of the vegetables. (32 g carbs, 2g fiber) – Kind of surprised that it was at 126 at 1 hour, but was 95 at 2 hours. I want to test this one again.

Skillet crisp fish with green beans and almonds. (27g carbs, 3g fiber) (This is Gorton’s Skillet Crisp Fish with have a light flour coating. This was baked in the oven) – 122 at 1 hr, 20 minutes. 116 at 2 hours 20 minutes and still at 109 at 3 hours. This didn’t come down as quickly as I would like. Again, I probably just won't buy this fish again.

Mediterranean buffet – Hummus, Falafel, tabouli, small amount of pasta salad (oil dressing), chicken shwarma, fattoush salad, 1 small piece of baklava – (82g carbs, 10g fiber – this restaurant doesn’t give nutritional info – estimated from similar items elsewhere) - Was not able to test at 1 hour. Was 111 at 2 hours. Will try this again and not include any baklava. I think without the baklava, it will probably be OK for me.

Conclusions – I don’t really see anything that would equate to an A1C of 5.9%. Most of the food that I ate during these several days didn’t create any issue at all and isn’t mentioned. There were only a few times that my blood sugar ever got above 140. I looked back at what I was eating before the A1C. It was a little higher carb (my test was on 12/30 right after holidays). So I could see my average blood glucose being a little higher then than it is now, but looking at what I was eating then I can’t see it actually being that high. I wonder if I'm just one of those people with long-lived red blood cells.

That said, it is clear that I do react negatively to some carbs so I want to modify my diet so I don't have it going as high as it did with some of those meals.

Going forward, pretty much any meal below 25g carbs seems OK. Meals between 25g carbs and 65g carbs may be OK depending on what it is. The more refined carbs the less OK it is, even if the total carbs are still relatively low. The few things that I ate above 65g carbs (the Mexican food meal, the bagel and the salad/flatbread Panera meal) all raised my blood sugar a lot compared to anything else and what is notable are the refined carbs in them.

On the other hand, I don’t see a need to avoid all grains. A single whole wheat tortilla with hummus or with a scrambled egg in it did fine. Also, a square of dark chocolate was totally fine so I don't see a reason to avoid eating that which I do a few times a week.

My sense from this is that I can fairly easily tweak my diet to avoid refined carbs that raise my blood sugar. I already don’t eat them a lot (I ate more during this period so I could test what was problematical). Some of the problem or borderline meals could be easily modified (no baklava, no chips, etc.). My 100g or so of carbs doesn’t seem to be a problem. Even my higher carb days (in the 120s) weren’t problematical as a whole, unless individual meals created a problem.

I don’t see a reason from this to lower my total carb intake specifically, but this does suggest to watch how many total carbs I eat at a meal and to avoid even relatively small amounts of refined carbs (such as the wonton strips). Those don't seem very difficult changes for me to make.

Wow! so much detail, I'm impressed! I'm definitely going to look up the book by Jenny Ruhl, it sounds great. Hopefully it can get me motivated enough to do some similar testing.

One thing to remember is other things like amount of sleep, stress, exercise can change your numbers as well. A meal could be a problem meal one day, and not a problem another day, especially once you figure the error range on those meters.

But overall, it looks like you're doing really well with finding meals that work for you, and stuff that tends to make you react too much.

And I agree that the A1C looks high for your numbers. Mine was 5.8 at last testing, my fasting were numbers are 110-120, and after food was in the 140 range most times.

I agree with you on the effect of sleep, stress, exercise and I add weight control on diabetes.

In my case I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 18 months ago with a fasting blood glucose of 194 and an A1C of 7.8 with no family history of diabetes whatsoever. I was overweight, lacked sleep, unhappy at work and dealing with mother's health issues and long term care. I was on Metformin for 6 months and went on a strict low carb diet and walked 3-4 miles daily. I lost 30 lbs, retired from my job and my stress level dropped considerably . I am now medication and stress free, continue to walk, play tennis and sleep about 8 hours a night and I am no longer on a low carb diet. My A1C at my last checkup was 5.3. I check my fasting blood glucose weekly at home and it's been averaging 93 for the last 6 months.

I know people are different but I do think that reducing stress and weight control play a major role in managing diabetes especially when no family history is present.

I agree with you on the effect of sleep, stress, exercise and I add weight control on diabetes.

In my case I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 18 months ago with a fasting blood glucose of 194 and an A1C of 7.8 with no family history of diabetes whatsoever. I was overweight, lacked sleep, unhappy at work and dealing with mother's health issues and long term care. I was on Metformin for 6 months and went on a strict low carb diet and walked 3-4 miles daily. I lost 30 lbs, retired from my job and my stress level dropped considerably . I am now medication and stress free, continue to walk, play tennis and sleep about 8 hours a night and I am no longer on a low carb diet. My A1C at my last checkup was 5.3. I check my fasting blood glucose weekly at home and it's been averaging 93 for the last 6 months.

I know people are different but I do think that reducing stress and weight control play a major role in managing diabetes especially when no family history is present.

I'm interested in how you are progressing. I understand the "strict low carb" to achieve the initial weight loss and numbers changes but can you provide more detail about maintenance? Did you return to your previous diet? Or did you modestly increase carbs? How long have you been on your maintenance diet and how have your weight and numbers been? I proceeded similarly to you but have to be careful (not fanatical) with the carbs, averaging probably 100-120 grams a day or weight starts slowly drifting up. I pay close attention to what I eat but never how much I eat, letting appetite govern. I know quite a few people who went with very strict low carb and/or high protein diets with great initial results but then lost almost all the ground they gained by going back to what they assumed was a more balanced diet with some half assed effort at portion control. But I am curious about how individual this all is.

Last edited:
I'm interested in how you are progressing. I understand the "strict low carb" to achieve the initial weight loss and numbers changes but can you provide more detail about maintenance? Did you return to your previous diet? Or did you modestly increase carbs? How long have you been on your maintenance diet and how have your weight and numbers been? I proceeded similarly to you but have to be careful (not fanatical) with the carbs, averaging probably 100-120 grams a day or weight starts slowly drifting up. I pay close attention to what I eat but never how much I eat, letting appetite govern. I know quite a few people who went with very strict low carb and/or high protein diets with great initial results but then lost almost all the ground they gained by going back to what they assumed was a more balanced diet with some half assed effort at portion control. But I am curious about how individual this all is.

I was trying to limit carbs to less than 100 grams a day and I was vigilant about keeping track of that. Now I don't track it as much but I guess it's between 160-200. I did not gain any weight since I dropped the 30 lbs and I never worried about portion control when I dieted either and I still don't.

I will agree that your regular testing doesn't reveal anything that would lead one to expect an a1c of 5.9. I've spent many years in the a1c range of 5.6 to 5.8 and my blood sugar spikes to the foods you have tested would be much much higher.

Katsmeow - You haven't mentioned exercise in your very detailed, scientific report. I don't know as much about blood sugar as others on the forum, but I have read that regular, vigorous exercise can affect blood sugar levels. Have you considered including your exercise levels in your monitoring, to see whether vigorous exercise could counteract the effects of a particular meal?

I think it may. A lot of my exercise hasn't been near any of the problematical meals, but one time I did make a note of it. When I had the BBQ chicken salad/turkey chili/chips at Panera, blood sugar was 118 at one hour, 112 at about 2 hours and was 79 at 4 hours after a 40 minute walk on the treadmill.

I do want to test this more thoroughly. I didn't do it during the testing in this thread after problematical meals because I wanted to see what would happen without any exercise. Now, on some of those I want to eat the same meal and then exercise and see what difference it makes.

On another note -- I found out today that French Fries need to come off the list. This is not a big problem because I very, very rarely ever eat French Fries. This evening I had grilled fish and shrimp and a serving of French Fries (not any better choices at this restaurant so I decided to make an experiment of it, although I thought I knew what would happen). At 70 minutes after eating, I was at 159. This wasn't a surprise (I would have been surprised by any other result).

I will agree that your regular testing doesn't reveal anything that would lead one to expect an a1c of 5.9. I've spent many years in the a1c range of 5.6 to 5.8 and my blood sugar spikes to the foods you have tested would be much much higher.

Yes, that is my sense as well. I plan to have the A1C tested at the end of March (3 months after my last test).

Most folks like me will see blood sugar go down during and after exercise, but a few note that exercise can raise their glucose readings in the near term. Overall though, regular exercise will show a great benefit in blood sugar levels, with the timing of the exercise not being all that important.

Something interesting I've just discovered that seems appropriate to this thread. In my many years as diabetic I've gone through all sorts of phases of bread/pasta eating, from none at all (not very successful) through gluten free (either not very good or too much sugar or lousy texture or something) through just whole grains (yummy but not effective in lowering blood sugar) through other imitations like spinach pasta and such. Mostly I go back to regular pasta, but I try to eat very little of it.

Some of the foods I tried were good/ok, and some helped control my blood sugar, but it has been rare to fine anything that is both. For bread I've been pretty happy with Ezekial bread, but I've never found a good pasta substitute.

Recently I bought a box of Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Spaghetti, and jackpot! This is obviously JMO, but it's an excellent replacement for spaghetti noodles, both with spaghetti sauce as well as in other dishes like Asian food. It doesn't taste like durum pasta, but it's quite tasty in it's own right, and has a good texture when cooked. It can be a little sticky like regular spaghetti, but a little drizzle of olive oil takes care of that. I didn't have any great expectations, but it's been a fabulous surprise.

Nutrition info is:

Gluten free
92% black beans, 8% water
180 cals in 2 oz serving
2g fat, 25g protein, 17g carbs (12 fiber, 5 sugars), 2 mg sodium.

I can't find anything wrong with it. It tastes good, has a good texture, doesn't raise my blood sugar like all other pastas and substitutes, doesn't have any beany side effects. Good stuff. I got a big 2 lb box from Costco, and I think it was under $5. If anybody else tries (or has tried) I'd be interested in your opinions. Seems like a magic food to me, as a life long bread/pasta addict.

Something interesting I've just discovered that seems appropriate to this thread. In my many years as diabetic I've gone through all sorts of phases of bread/pasta eating, from none at all (not very successful) through gluten free (either not very good or too much sugar or lousy texture or something) through just whole grains (yummy but not effective in lowering blood sugar) through other imitations like spinach pasta and such. Mostly I go back to regular pasta, but I try to eat very little of it.

Some of the foods I tried were good/ok, and some helped control my blood sugar, but it has been rare to fine anything that is both. For bread I've been pretty happy with Ezekial bread, but I've never found a good pasta substitute.

Recently I bought a box of Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Spaghetti, and jackpot! This is obviously JMO, but it's an excellent replacement for spaghetti noodles, both with spaghetti sauce as well as in other dishes like Asian food. It doesn't taste like durum pasta, but it's quite tasty in it's own right, and has a good texture when cooked. It can be a little sticky like regular spaghetti, but a little drizzle of olive oil takes care of that. I didn't have any great expectations, but it's been a fabulous surprise.

Nutrition info is:

Gluten free
92% black beans, 8% water
180 cals in 2 oz serving
2g fat, 25g protein, 17g carbs (12 fiber, 5 sugars), 2 mg sodium.

I can't find anything wrong with it. It tastes good, has a good texture, doesn't raise my blood sugar like all other pastas and substitutes, doesn't have any beany side effects. Good stuff. I got a big 2 lb box from Costco, and I think it was under $5. If anybody else tries (or has tried) I'd be interested in your opinions. Seems like a magic food to me, as a life long bread/pasta addict.

I'll get it and try it out on DH and see how his readings go. Thanks!

Yep, that's the one. At 2 lbs. for $5 Costco has that beat big time.

I just had some leftover for lunch. It's still good. This may be my best substitute food find so far. I don't do well with dropping foods I love off the menu, or substituting zucchini for pasta, or other tricks for going low carb. I prefer substituting something that is similar to what I am trying to get away from. Now I need to look into a black bean pizza crust. Wonder how that would work?

Yep, that's the one. At 2 lbs. for $5 Costco has that beat big time. QUOTE]

That's ~16¢ an oz. That is a big difference. In fact, it throws up a "too good to be true" flag.

In any event, I will look for it the next time I am in Costco (we go every couple months or so).

Thank you.

That does look interesting. We recently joined a new Costco near us and I'll check to see if they have it. The Amazon reviews make it seem like it is worth trying out.

That's ~16¢ an oz. That is a big difference. In fact, it throws up a "too good to be true" flag.

Hmm...well, you know, memory isn't my strong point. I think it was around $5, but I certainly wouldn't swear to it. At the same time, I am a cheap SOB, and can't imagine I would spend much on an unknown like that. I'll check it next time I go. That won't be for a few weeks, though.

Edit: Did a little googling and found out it was $8.99 for the two lb. box. Not too good to be true, but still only $.28 per oz. I also saw that some people are claiming that it's made from black soybeans, not black beans. They're basing that on the protein content. I don't know if they're right or not. It doesn't make any difference to me, but might to some.

Last edited:
I called my local Costco but they didn't carry Explore Asia. I did find two varieties of their products at a local Sprouts. They had a sale going for $3.50 a pack for edamame/mung bean combo fettuccini, but the black bean spaghetti was sold out. I bought the fettuccini pack and the texture wasn't quite right and it had a typical soy odor but it was OK with pesto sauce which pretty much killed the weird soy smell (but the texture needs a little improvement.).

The good news is that my BG hardly went up at all. (I added roasted chicken cubes (salt and pepper only) with pesto sauce.(pesto sauce from Costco - I divide Costco's fresh pesto in small containers and freeze them and scoop out what I need out)). My BG started at 91 and after 45 minutes it was 92 and after 1.5 hours it was 98 and at 2 hours it was 92. It was as if I ate nothing at all...(I think I ate maybe about 2 cups cooked noodles which is a whole lot more pasta than I would ever dare to eat..)

I am going to go back to Sprouts tomorrow to get the black bean spaghetti. (Hopefully they will restock..)

Thank you for introducing me to this.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A really old article but still the reason that I avoid non-fermented Soy.

Newest Research on the Dangers of Soy

I have her book (Sally's) Nourishing Traditions. Tofu is supposed to be bad for you but I am originally from Japan and tofu is kind of a staple food for the Japanese so I eat it. According to her almost all beans and nuts have toxins and soaking them remover some of the toxins. Anyway she is probably right. She advocates raw milk and fermented foods and she knows what she is talking about.

Anyway, I see people drinking soy milk like you would drink water, or eat protein bars full of concentrated soy. I wouldn't do that, but eating some soy based foods? I guess I still do occasionally (probably a whole lot less than the Japanese) even after reading Sally's book...

Last edited:
A really old article but still the reason that I avoid non-fermented Soy.

Newest Research on the Dangers of Soy

This undoubtedly explains why there are no old people in Japan. :nonono:

I do not think the authors understand what actual scientific research is. Reading the paper, I see a sort of hypothesis, but there does not appear to be any attempt to test their hypothesis. Instead, there are a series of opinions given unsubstantiated by data. Indeed, the entire 'research' performed here is remarkably devoid of any form of rigorous testing or analysis.

The paper does include citations at least. Unfortunately, many of the cited 'research' works are similar to this paper, implying a rather circular, isolated research community.

I'm note entirely sure I'd trust unresearched 'research'. I particularly would not trust medical 'research' or 'news' from someone whose business depends on the information they present (editorial bias), or who is opposed to immunization, fluoridation, mammography, or Vitamin K for newborns.

This undoubtedly explains why there are no old people in Japan. :nonono:

I do not think the authors understand what actual scientific research is. Reading the paper, I see a sort of hypothesis, but there does not appear to be any attempt to test their hypothesis. Instead, there are a series of opinions given unsubstantiated by data.

There is of course, push back on this issue. Re - cancer and more general critique of the animal studies used, this entry from Dr. McCullough at the American Cancer Society -

The Bottom Line on Soy and Breast Cancer Risk

and her reference to the NIH study

Metabolic phenotype of isoflavones differ among female rats, pigs, ... - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
There is of course, push back on this issue. Re - cancer and more general critique of the animal studies used, this entry from Dr. McCullough at the American Cancer Society -

The Bottom Line on Soy and Breast Cancer Risk

and her reference to the NIH study

Metabolic phenotype of isoflavones differ among female rats, pigs, ... - PubMed - NCBI

Yup. A diet with selected concentrated chemical compounds from foodstuffs is different than a diet with the unmodified foodstuffs. Also, rat metabolism differs in some ways from human metabolism.

It's a looong stretch from real data to "OMG! Teh soys causes teh cancers! Quick! Buy my eggplant cancer cure cream!"

What is the probability that you are NOT diabetic if your fasting blood glucose is 110-126 mg/dl?

If you have a FBG reading of 110-126 mg/dl (6.1-7 mmol/l) very likely your doctor will tell you that you are either diabetic or well on your way be becoming diabetic.
Spoiler Alert!
That is, if your fasting blood glucose is in the 110-126 mg/dl range (6.1-7 mmol/l) then the probability that you DO NOT have diabetes is 72 percent. It would be much safer to bet that you do not have diabetes than that you do, even at that relatively high range.

Back
Top Bottom