ACA Federal Marketplace updates

Given the hoops I'd have to jump (setting up a charitable trust, prepaying property tax etc) through and the modest subsidy I am not going to bother. However I do wonder if there is anything wrong with electing to get a lower form of insurance Bronze in my case is ~$100/month cheaper and then if I end getting a chronic disease like diabetes, getting a gold or platinum plan?

The downside is limited to having to wait until the next calendar year to upgrade the coverage and reduce the cost sharing. But beyond that, no, there's nothing to stop you from electing a higher-tier plan if your medical needs (and expected costs) change.

So I'd be eligible for a $707 subsidy. But on the Hawaii website even if I drop my income down to 25K I am not seeing a subsidy.

I am I understanding how the subsidy works properly?

I don't know the answer to your question.

But one thing I do want to mention is that it looks like subsidies often don't really amount to much if you aren't substantially below the cap.

I am not applying to ACA this year since I and kids have coverage through DH's retiree insurance (DH himself is on medicare). Premiums went way up this year (to $780 a month on the high-deductible plan) so I was curious about ACA costs even though I don't plan to jump to it this year.

I didn't want to go through the hassle of doing an actual app so I looked at

ValuePenguin | Insuring Your Decisions With Data

to see the cost of plans and to see how much difference a subsidy would make. There are unsubsidized plans that are about the same as or cheaper than the $770 we are paying now but the deductible is vastly different. The family deductible we have now is $3000 while these call for family deductibles of $12700 a year. Big difference. Only a few of the plans have family deductibles that are close to what we are paying so I was curious about subsidies.

I first put in what would happen if our income was about $2000 a year less than the cap. This resulted in a subsidy of about $360 a year. I then put in an income $10000 below the cap (this is for a family of 4). This resulted in a subsidy of about $1200 a year. Better, but I'm not sure it is enough to make it worthwhile to do all the gyrations that would be necessary to become subsidy eligible. Further it would probably be a thing where we load all the income in one year and so wouldn't be eligible that year but might be eligible the next.

The net is that the premiums are higher than the $780 a month we will be paying next year (an increase from $479) but are often not horribly higher. What is horribly different is that the deductibles for family coverage are astronomical.

For example, even a gold Blue Cross policy has a family deductible of $9000 with an individual deductible of $3000.

One thing that isn't clear in this material, btw, is how family deductibles work. The policies we used to have each individual had to meet the deductible for that person but if you collectively reached the "family" deductible then you didn't have to meet it for an individual. So if you had $1500 individual deductible and $3000 family deductible and there were 5 people in the family, once any combination of people met $3000 then no one else had to meet a deductible.

The high deductible policy we have now has those same limits on paper but the individual deductible doesn't apply at all for family policies. If I go in and have $2000 in health care costs there is no coverage for the $500 over the individual deductible. There is only coverage once $3000 is met.

I don't know how deductibles work on the exchange policies.

That is if a policy has a $3000 individual deductible and $9000 family deductible, what happens in a specific individual has $5000 work of costs. Are $2000 paid by the policy or is nothing paid because the $9000 hasn't been met yet?

Last edited:
Cost sharing and subsidy are two different things here.

"Cost sharing" in this context means you have an income below 250% of FPL, which enables you to receive lower deductibles and/or OOP maximums with a Silver level policy. It's not the same thing as the premium subsidy.

I don't think it lowers the deductible. From my understanding it only can lower the OOP maximums. Are you sure on this point?

I don't think it lowers the deductible. From my understanding it only can lower the OOP maximums. Are you sure on this point?

Yes, cost sharing which kicks in below 250% FPL (and to a greater extent below 200% and again below 150%) can lower both your deductible and out of pocket maximum substantially. I've never seen an sort of formula for this but I am sure it's true.

Last edited:
I don't know how deductibles work on the exchange policies.

That is if a policy has a $3000 individual deductible and $9000 family deductible, what happens in a specific individual has $5000 work of costs. Are $2000 paid by the policy or is nothing paid because the $9000 hasn't been met yet?
I can't find a source to link but have read that once any member meets the individual deductible that member is only responsible for co-pays until the[-] family[/-] individual TOOP is reached. This is mentioned in some insurers literature but I'm pretty sure it is now subject to ACA regulation.

Last edited:
I can't find a source to link but have read that once any member meets the individual deductible that member is only responsible for co-pays until the family TOOP is reached. This is mentioned in some insurers literature but I'm pretty sure it is now subject to ACA regulation.

For case of an HSA-qualified Plan (Exchange or not), isn't the family deductible all that matters?

Note I edited my previous response due to a [-]brain fart[/-] momentary distraction. :)

For case of an HSA-qualified Plan (Exchange or not), isn't the family deductible all that matters?

It matters for the total family OOP. Each family member, however, still enjoys an individual deductible and TOOP.

For those of you wondering about individual vs family deductible, here's what I learned from our current insurer last week when I called to ask about their Marketplace plans. There are 2 kinds of deductibles, embedded and aggregate (non-embedded ).

The HSA plans I was asking about have the aggregate deductible which means that if there is more than one person on the plan the entire deductible has to be met before any benefits are paid, for us that's 2 times the $6000 = 12000 for example. For a family of more than 2 it may be limited to 2. Not certain about that.

For the non-HSA plans the deductible is embedded and applies per person. If person A meets the deductible of $6000 then after that benefits are paid to person A even if person B had not met the deductible. Talking to my insurer their HDHP with HSAs are all aggregate and their non-HSA plans are all embedded deductible. I don't know if all insurers treat HDHPs with HSAs vs regular insurance the same way.

Something to consider when shopping for plans and none of it is explained very well at Healthcare.gov. Like that's a surprise.....

Last edited:
Note I edited my previous response due to a [-]brain fart[/-] momentary distraction. :)

It matters for the total family OOP. Each family member, however, still enjoys an individual deductible and TOOP.

I am in a HSA right now and each family member does not enjoy an individual deductible and total out of pocket amount. The only thing that matters is the family Deductible and family out of pocket amount.

The policy information is crystal clear that with an HSA plan the individual deductible and out of pocket only matters if you have an individual plan.

I just looked at the benefit information Megacorp and it says:

It is important to note that the family deductible in a qualified HDLP works differently than the deductible in standard plans. IRS guidelines specify that the full family deductible must be met before any claims can be paid for any individual covered as part of a family plan...

Does anyone know how ACA exchange policies work. That is, let's say it is a family plan with a $3000 individual deductible and $9000 family deductible. One member of the family incurs $5000 in expenses. Is there payment for the expenses above $3000 (subject to any co-pays or percentages) or is there no payment until total family expenses reach $9000?

This is all specified by policy and is not exchange-wide or insurer-wide.

If the policy CoC assigns both individual and a family deductions, both apply. A policy that uses aggregate deductions has no individual deduction. This applies to HSA policies as well. An HSA family policy can definitely have individual (embedded) deductions.

How the deduction is managed must be reflected in the price, because the policy must still meet an specific actuarial level and MLR target. A plan with one single family deductible must be less expensive than a similar policy with individual deductibles.

A search shows ACA regulations do not define deductibles (as embedded or aggregate), they define how deductions, co-pays and other cost sharing must be carried out.

Need clarification and guidance here

We submitted the ACA application last week and got an "eligibility letter" which I downloaded and printed. It says my daughter (who the application is for) is "eligible to purchase health coverage through the Marketplace" and the next step is to purchase a plan. However:

1. On the website when we are logged in, there is a big horizontal RED BANNER that says we need top submit more information to complete the application process. This information is to verify that even though her employer provides coverage to some employees, she needs to prove she is not one of the covered ones (she works part time).

2. We have the employer's info that includes their ID number, plan administrator's contact information, etc. We found a form: Employee Coverage Tool, OMB No. 0938-1191, that appears to be the one we fill out and submit. (it was interesting finding this form since the ACA site has no instructions as tho where it is).

3. The page the Red Banner is on allows us to go to a small link to expand what they think is missing in the application and a "drop down" box appears with a list of suggested documents to possibly upload. One minor issue here is the list of documents is not formatted properly and extends to the right off my screen. Shrinking my view to where I can read the list makes the text way too small to read. Trying to select and copy the list doesn't work and if I try to print the page, the drop down box closes. There is is serious coding wrong on this page.

4. Never the less, I attempted to upload the form we filled out minus a letter ACA asked for from the employer that confirms coverage from my daughter is not available. Well, making a .pdf and getting it ready to upload was easy, but what's not working is the Upload Button does not capture the file once selected.

5. Since we can't get the upload to work, we are asking if anyone here has actually uploaded a document to the site and how you did it? File size issue? Is a pdf proper? Etc.

6. Since she is eligible to purchase healthcare, we managed to find a way into available plan information, but I am doubting the costs presented are with a subsidy (there is no way to tell?). Am I correct here? We saw the four plan lists, could open plans, etc, but cost info looks "retail". How do you know if a subsidy is included? She makes $25K per year and should easily qualify.

7. Without the ability to upload the form we filled out to hopefully satisfy the RED BANNER statement requiring additional employer health plan info, is there a way to get this information to them? I asked a chat rep about this and she was clueless on the RED BANNER issue. I asked about mailing stuff in and she said that is possible, but could not tell me how to do this. Has anybody here actually mailed anything into them successfully?

8. I asked about the upload error and the rep had no clue except that maybe I should try it on off hours. I explained it is now 2:00 am and we are chatting and wondered what she thought "off hours" should be....no response. We did request, about 5 days ago, a call back from a tech on the upload issue, but have not gotten any calls yet.

We are frustrated like many here. If anyone has any suggestions on mailing, uploading, etc., please let us know.

Thanks!

MRG,

Thanks! And you were right. My application eventually appeared.

Am still not seeing any mention of subsidies. I do however see a blurb that says "You're eligible for a plan with cost-sharing reduction. Select the box below to see plans with these savings."

Yet the box is not selectable and has a blurb that says "Health plans with cost-sharing reduction (0)".

I guess that means no subsidy for me :(

Zedd, I started seeing the same Health plans with cost-sharing reduction (0). According to the person I talked to 'that part of the system is not currently working'. She wasn't sure when it might be fixed, but was given a status of 'their working on it'. I qualify at 214% FPL, so I'm going to wait. Based on a couple of threads here the cost sharing deductions may be worth waiting for.

MRG

We submitted the ACA application last week and got an "eligibility letter" which I downloaded and printed. It says my daughter (who the application is for) is "eligible to purchase health coverage through the Marketplace" and the next step is to purchase a plan. However:

1. On the website when we are logged in, there is a big horizontal RED BANNER
8. I asked about the upload error and the rep had no clue except that maybe I should try it on off hours. I explained it is now 2:00 am and we are chatting and wondered what she thought "off hours" should be....no response. We did request, about 5 days ago, a call back from a tech on the upload issue, but have not gotten any calls yet.

We are frustrated like many here. If anyone has any suggestions on mailing, uploading, etc., please let us know.

Thanks!

I see a red banner, but when I take the link it says the enrollment is completed, just need to enroll. In reference to your number 8. Go back in this thread to 10/28/2013 at maybe 9:45. There's a couple of posts by aja8888 and grasshopper, that may explain what uploading means. The ARC(advanced resolution center) did actually return my call, but 7 business days later, I had escalated it several times.
In reference to subsidy (cost sharing), there's info here that suggests the site healthcare.gov is not calculating it(I can't believe that :facepalm:).

Edit to add 'Whoops, didn't realize I was sending you to re read what you wrote'

Good luck,

MRG

Last edited:
In the last few days it actually feels like the site has taken several steps backward, especially in terms of seeing your applications.

I decided to look at some prices where I currently have insurance since I want to decide if I go COBRA or not....

Heck, all of the plans are expensive....

Zedd, I started seeing the same Health plans with cost-sharing reduction (0). According to the person I talked to 'that part of the system is not currently working'. She wasn't sure when it might be fixed, but was given a status of 'their working on it'. I qualify at 214% FPL, so I'm going to wait. Based on a couple of threads here the cost sharing deductions may be worth waiting for.

MRG

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Thought I was losing my mind ... well maybe I am but at least not about this

You know, if they're asking you to download, print and complete forms and upload them again, why did they bother with a web site?

Sounds like a tax return, where you can have multiple Forms and Schedules that you need to complete, depending on various scenarios.

It might be better for Intuit and the other companies which have online tax return sites to develop sites and/or desktop software (or iPad apps) which guide you through entering the required data and then transmitting them in the required formats to the agencies and/or insurers.

Or maybe add them as additional forms to Turbo Tax, Tax Act, etc. and charge extra for submitting those forms.

That's assuming the backend systems are capable of processing the volume of data.

It might be better for Intuit and the other companies which have online tax return sites to develop sites and/or desktop software (or iPad apps) which guide you through entering the required data and then transmitting them in the required formats to the agencies and/or insurers.
As I've been reading about the healtcare.gov software problems, I had this same idea...let the public sector do it. Actually, my idea was not to rope the public sector into anything (desktop, iOS, etc), but just define API's. As TurboTax and Block are 'licenced' to submit to the IRS, you would licence legitimate players to access the servers that have the API's. You could give them a small finder's fee (something along the lines of how the Sabre, the airline reservation system, works). The result is that you'd have multiple private companies working on various UI's. Of course this would simply remove one aspect of the job from the government (the UI). But instead of "glitches", the explanation by the UI providers could be much more transparent (API "X" does not work at all, API "Y" returns bad information, API "Z" take 15 minutes to return).

EDIT: Many of us are programmers or technically inclined, but for the record: API = Application Programming Interface (how programs talk to one and other).

Last edited:
I think there is little doubt that ACA could have been more efficiently accomplished if it was crafted as a set of requirements imposed on the healthcare and insurance industries, and therefore all aspects of it except enforcement would have been private rather than governmental. However, I think it is clear that that would have been opposed strongly. The ACA is what it is because it had to be a compromise.

I can't find any source on it either. Just has been stated on this forum and another on health care. That is why I was asking.

I can't find any source on it either. Just has been stated on this forum and another on health care. That is why I was asking.

Are you referring to cost sharing reducing deductibles, etc? If so here is a credible source....

In Addition To Premium Credits, Health Law Offers Some Consumers Help Paying Deductibles And Co-Pays - Kaiser Health News

Quote follows:

"But the Affordable Care Act also established another type of financial assistance for people who buy plans on the marketplaces, also known as exchanges. Cost-sharing subsidies can substantially reduce the deductibles, copayments, coinsurance and total out-of-pocket spending limits for people with incomes up to 250 percent of the federal poverty level ($58,875 for a family of four in 2013). Those reductions could be an important consideration for lower-income consumers when choosing their coverage."

Hope that's what you were after.

.... Among its lessons is that adding more bodies to a project just delays it. ....

How true. Some managers think that any problem can be solved by just throwing enough or more people at it, but in most cases it is an issue of insufficient team members with the right knowledge or expertise and not necessarily insufficient headcount.

Or as I use to tell our management when they got stupid on things like this - just because it takes a woman 9 months to make a baby doesn't mean that 9 women can make a baby in a month! :D

They could generally understand that.

Back
Top Bottom