ACA self contribution percentile

upstar

Confused about dryer sheets
I believe that the advanced premium tax credits are only made available to qualified ACA insurance applicants whose individual or family incomes are between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level.

But I was reading the form 8962 earlier, it is interesting to note that the self-contribution percentile is still 2% for income under the 100% FPL. I thought people would NOT get any subsidy if income falls below that level, but obviously that's not true.

So for people who live in a State that does not expand the medicaid, a good option is obviously to sign up through the healthcare.gov.

I don't know why the discrepancy though, any thoughts?

When you first enroll in the ACA, and at the start of each subsequent year, you provide an estimate of your income for the year. If your estimate is 100+% FPL (non-expansion), the marketplace will determine the premium subsidy (advance premium tax credit). At year end, your actual income is used to reconcile the premium tax credit. If your actual income was below 100% FPL, you keep the subsidy.

Below 100% FPL link: Consumers Whose Income Drops Below Poverty Get Break On Subsidy Payback | Kaiser Health News

Note: If there is a large discrepancy between your estimate and historical income, you will be asked to provide documentation as to why.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom