Aetna says my 10,000 dectible plan is grandfathered

perrytime

Recycles dryer sheets
I find it hard to believe the Aetna agent is correct, yes i have had the plan since 2009, but everthing i have read says a $10,000 deductible individual plan will not meet requirements in 2014. Anyone else with high deductible pan have similar confimation or not, from their agent?

I find it hard to believe the Aetna agent is correct, yes i have had the plan since 2009, but everthing i have read says a $10,000 deductible individual plan will not meet requirements in 2014. Anyone else with high deductible pan have similar confimation or not, from their agent?

It could be possible both statements are correct. It is a grandfathered plan because it was in place before early 2010. But it will not meet requirements after Jan. 1, 2014. In other words, it did not have to meet the initial changes that have went on prior to 2014. If your plan is an individual one, from what I understand, that high of a deductible will not survive, and you will have to enroll yourself in a new plan for 2014.

my question to the agent was specific for 2014, she said yes grandfathered.

I believe you will be receiving information from your insurance company in the coming months. You could call the company yourself, but you may reach a dead wall there, too. I am on an individual plan that's grandfathered and under the guidelines of the "bronze" plan, but still waiting word on whether they will continue the plan. There are many very informed people on this forum, so hopefully they can give you a definitive answer to your original question. Though even if it was allowed, the company may choose to discontinue it anyways.

Did you ask if your plan will be changing in regards to deductibles, co-pays etc as of 1/1/2014 so as to be compliant with the ACA?

Isn't the whole idea of it being grandfathered, that it doesn't meet the new requirements but will be allowed to continue? (ie the law allows for grandfathered plans)

I don't see anything inconsistent in your original post.

-gauss

Isn't the whole idea of it being grandfathered, that it doesn't meet the new requirements but will be allowed to continue? (ie the law allows for grandfathered plans)

That's my understanding. While I think there are *some* aspects of PPACA that all policies must implement, there are others that are not, and "grandfathered" plans won't have to make the latter changes to remain "safe" under the grandfather clause.

thanks for the link, but I don't have a group plan, an individual plan. A second call to Aetna, this person said they don't know and I will be receiving info when it becomes available, likely much closer to 2014, and that Aetan will not participate in the October enrollement of new insurance pools that I have heard about. So I will just have to wait and see.

I think I learned the answer to your question. Existing plans will be grandfathered into 2014 until they come up for renewal. I am on the Board and Treasurer of a home health care agency. We are currently in an open enrollment period for HI for our full-time benefit eligible people. Their policies will be effective 7/1/13 - 6/30/14. In order to buy us more time to comply with the PPACA our insurance agent suggested that we have a second open enrollment. Starting new 12 month policies on 12/31/2013 or just prior so they extend as close as possible through all of 2014 delaying the expected increased cost of PPACA compliant policies into 2015.

-gauss

Yes, what gauss wrote.

However, I would caution on what's being said at this point + calling the insurance companies won't lead to much. You should know in a few months via a letter. Communication should be going out in Sep with your options. Sep should be pretty consistent across all carriers.

Meh... Nothing new there. For years, this has been The Game in health insurance. Take an existing policy; Offer new policies to the healthiest folks at a discount compared to the old policy rate; then raise rates on the old policy, justified by the now-higher per capita costs; finally, petition the state insurance commission (in states that have this requirement) to close down the old policy because it's 'just too darn expensive', and offer to enroll remaining folks into a 'continuation' policy like the one for the state high risk pool. :-(

Note that if the policy can be cancelled (depending on state laws and possibly the state insurance commission) that the folks with the cancelled policies will still be able to get insurance on the state exchanges, at what are turning out to be fairly competitive rates.

You can keep a grandfathered policy as long as the insurer keeps it available. And you can afford it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom