Alzheimer's and the future

More to your point... no, the "Scientific community" is still out as to what what causes it and how much impact any specific eating or not eating of certain nutritional vectors might have, Now that is a scientific fact.

And "diet playing a part" doesn't mean there is any real answer to preventing or curing it. What part? how much? Which diet? And genes do play a part. This nouveau-think that's come up recently due to some "study" that seemed to imply genes do not influence health or longevity is totally misguided.

You can play spin-the-wheel and guess right. We all do. Much of this forum is based on the premise: "Stats: Take 'em or Leave 'em". But the doctors and scientists working on it these things are just spreading rumours. Maybe they will be right some day.
Actually it's not to the point at all. Fetishist? Huh? And no one said that the scientific community knows what causes it. But there's a lot of research and studies on diets that seem to help avoid it.

Who said that genes don't play a part? Of course they do. I guess that's one of the rumours from the scientific community that you believe? Or did you work that one out all by yourself?

And all the diet research that has been done has shown that certain diets help avoid Alz. This site incorporates much of the information about Alzheimer's. I'm sure you'll ignore it cos that's just what you do since those scientists are just "spreading rumours", right?

https://www.alzu.org/

Last edited:
You need TWO copies of APOE-4 to face a significantly higher risk of not only dementia but other nasty diseases & IIRC only ~2% will have both.

I discovered that I have 2 copies of APOE4 which means I have a 50% chance of getting Alzhimer's at age 85. However, I am a positive person and I want to be the 50% of people who do NOT get the disease.

This revelation has changed my life for the better.

This is because I am now exercising every day, I am avoiding red meat and eating right. I have lost weight and I intend to reach my optimum weight and blood pressure next year. I am age 69 and I don't require any medication at all. I snow ski, I ride a motorcycle, and I surf in Hawaii. My doctor informed me that I am the type of person who would put CVS phamacy out of business. I do volunteer work and I reached out to people and made many friends by helping other people and being friendly. I am now going back to school to learn another language.

Let the "negative" people take their health for granted...until it is too late when they are on their death bed.

I now know why mothers all over the world would teach their children to "eat their vegetable" !!!

Here is the current medical consensus on Alzheimer’s prevention:

https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/guide/understanding-alzheimers-disease-prevention#1

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...rt-answers/alzheimers-prevention/faq-20058140

There are no proven ways to prevent Alzheimer’s, but diet, exercise and other activities may help delay its onset. One problem with the research seems to be that Alzheimer’s is lumped together with other types of dementia (such as vascular dementia), for which diet, exercise, etc. is known to be beneficial.

I ultimately lost hair on well over 50% of my scalp (fortunately not on the very top) and also on my arms and legs.
:eek: It must have been horrifying!
Did the turmeric and saw palmetto alone take care of this problem, or was it the combination with your diet?

Last edited:
Not necessary for you to watch this commentary on dementia. Posting it here for reference purpose for those who may have friends or relatives who are suffering and would like to dig a little deeper to understand more about what is happening.

:eek: It must have been horrifying!
Did the turmeric and saw palmetto alone take care of this problem, or was it the combination with your diet?

The main treatment was scalp spray with a mix of clobetasol (steroid), minoxidil and retinA. That seemed to gradually arrest the hair loss and then get the hair to grow back more quickly. The supplements may have helped too. I wasn’t treating this with any dietary changes and none were recommended. The supplements were suggested by doctors.

Yeah, I was starting to wear caps and scarves like a cancer patient and didn’t socialize much. At least I didn’t lose the hair on my crown or my bangs as that hid a lot of bare spots, but it was pretty bad. Took forever for the scalp hair to grow back long. My legs and arms still have bare spots. Very slowly growing back.

Last edited:
Scientists spend years doing nothing but studying Alzheimers.
They find that diet definitely plays a part.
What's fetishist about that?

Thread entropy. Not talking about them. Don't know why you'd post this? My statements were clear. You're talking about two different things.

Last edited:
.... I wonder which foods cause or prevent obsessive / compulsive disorder?

"Ooh ooh ooh, Mr. Kotter" ...

A
apples, arugula, asparagus, artichoke, avocado

B
bananas, blueberries, broccoli

Broccoli and Bananas: Two Beneficial "B" Foods for Kids »

C
carrots, celery, cherries, cauliflower

D
daikon radish, dip (for fresh veggies)

E
eggplant, edemame, endive

F
figs, fava beans

G
grapes, grapefruit, guava, garlic, ginger

H
honeydew melon

I
iceberg lettuce

J
jicama, jam (all fruit)

K
kale, kiwi

L
lemons, lettuce (try different kinds)

M
mushrooms, melon, mangos

N
nectarines, nuts

O
oranges, onions, oyster mushrooms, okra

P
peas, peppers, pineapple, pears, peaches

Q
quince

R
raisins, raspberries, radishes, romaine lettuce

S
spinach, squash, sprouts, strawberries, sunflower seeds

T
tangerine, tropical fruit, turnips, tomatillos, turnip greens

U
ugli fruit

V
vine ripe tomatoes

W
watermelon, walnuts, watercress, woodear mushrooms

X
xylitol - a natural sugar found in plums, strawberries, and raspberries

Y
yams, yukon gold potatoes

Z
zucchini

-ERD50

For those interested in the subject of alzheimer's prevention and reversal, there is a 12 part video series starting tomorrow: https://scienceofprevention.com/

This will be primarily be a natural approach rather than pharmaceutical.

"Ooh ooh ooh, Mr. Kotter" ...

A
apples, arugula, asparagus, artichoke, avocado

B
bananas, blueberries, broccoli

Broccoli and Bananas: Two Beneficial "B" Foods for Kids »

C
carrots, celery, cherries, cauliflower

D
daikon radish, dip (for fresh veggies)

E
eggplant, edemame, endive

F
figs, fava beans

G
grapes, grapefruit, guava, garlic, ginger

H
honeydew melon

I
iceberg lettuce

J
jicama, jam (all fruit)

K
kale, kiwi

L
lemons, lettuce (try different kinds)

M
mushrooms, melon, mangos

N
nectarines, nuts

O
oranges, onions, oyster mushrooms, okra

P
peas, peppers, pineapple, pears, peaches

Q
quince

R
raisins, raspberries, radishes, romaine lettuce

S
spinach, squash, sprouts, strawberries, sunflower seeds

T
tangerine, tropical fruit, turnips, tomatillos, turnip greens

U
ugli fruit

V
vine ripe tomatoes

W
watermelon, walnuts, watercress, woodear mushrooms

X
xylitol - a natural sugar found in plums, strawberries, and raspberries

Y
yams, yukon gold potatoes

Z
zucchini

-ERD50

Excellent post. I am going to print it to increase my fruit and veggie consumption while reducing my meat and sugar consumption. Thank you for your contribution to this thread. The negative comments by other people have made no contributions to this thread except expressing their negative opinion.... which they have the right to do so.

The main treatment was scalp spray with a mix of clobetasol (steroid), minoxidil and retinA. That seemed to gradually arrest the hair loss and then get the hair to grow back more quickly. The supplements may have helped too. I wasn’t treating this with any dietary changes and none were recommended. The supplements were suggested by doctors.
Thank you for the detailed prescription info. That's great that these medications are available to reverse the hair loss for this condition.

Thank you for the detailed prescription info. That's great that these medications are available to reverse the hair loss for this condition.
The condition likely would have resolved itself anyway, but maybe the spray sped the process up. By the way - not a US medicine. I walked across the border to buy it. My dermatologist suggested it might be worth trying.

Anyway - bit of a thread hijack with this story.

According to the study, older adults over the age of 55 who consumed more than 50 grams of chili per day displayed nearly double the risk of developing poor cognition and a decline in overall memory. Interestingly, slimmer adults indulging in a spicy diet exhibited even more significant memory loss.

I'm 50, very slim, and eat spicy daily. I am in big trouble. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom