Amazing how unhealthy work is

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since the beginning of the year I have been hitting the gym 3 to 5 times a week. While I was still employed, I actually went every work day. While I did get into better shape, I couldn't seem to lose any weight (actually went from 186 to 192), and building muscle and aerobic fitness was a slow, painful process. After getting laid off at the end of July, it is as if someone flipped a switch. Resting heart rate is now under 60, dropping 2# a month, have better control over my appetite, building muscle at a greatly increased pace, and aerobic fitness has greatly increased (ran about 7 miles on monday, could only do 3 or so while employed).

Its possible that I just got past a plateau or something, but I suspect this is not it. Less stress, less sedentary lifestyle, more time to cook and therefore eat better all make a difference even if I get to the gym slightly less often.

I suspect you are younger than me. When I retired I did nothing different, other than not going to w*rk every day, and lost 20 lb. in 6 months.

Don't know about the other stuff, my SWR doesn't include a personal trainer.:D

I suspect you are younger than me. When I retired I did nothing different, other than not going to w*rk every day, and lost 20 lb. in 6 months.

Don't know about the other stuff, my SWR doesn't include a personal trainer.:D

With little conscious effort, I lost 80# in 3 years.

I've found it easy to lose weight. KEEPING it off is the hard part!
Still, congrats. You gotta work at it.

Good going Brewer! Perhaps at your next j*b, you'll be able to relax a little bit. Keeping yourself healthy is the most important thing for you...and your family. :)

Good job Brewer!

In my case, the weight loss wasn't effortless. But I've been trying to lose for decades and never could summon the willpower. Since ER, though, I've been able to stay on the straight and narrow rather easily and have lost ~20 lbs. I now seem to have willpower to spare (or at least enough). There had to be something about w*rk and its accompanying stress that kept me from taking proper care of myself.

A former co-worker of mine said his blood pressure dropped 15 points when he retired.

That is interesting. I would think it's the better healthier food you have time to cook for now is making the difference, but that is just my guess.

Either way, it sounds like you are doing GREAT!

tmm

Thanks for sharing Brewer - gives us all another reason to count down the days.

excellent results! :D besides the unhurried exercise sessions...
it may be the lunches at home vs at restaurants
it may be less stress - I vaguely recall something about body fat and stress hormones in the news a few years back
it may be more activity overall vs armchair quarterbacking in front of the computer 5 days a week
it may be pure joy! :D

I should imagine that your former job required funky hours, so I wonder if you sleep, or lack of it, contributed to your prior situation of being on a plateau.

I should imagine that your former job required funky hours, so I wonder if you sleep, or lack of it, contributed to your prior situation of being on a plateau.

Definite possibility. Up at 4:45AM every day and very lucky if I got to bed at a reasonable hour. Plus the stress likely wasn't helping, as I tend to be a stress eater.

Brewer,

WTF!??! You were laid off in July??

I missed that somewhere... oh yeah, this new job I'm in...

What was the deal, if I may ask?

Back
Top Bottom