another question on Medicare

Octogirl

Recycles dryer sheets
So DH turns 65 next year -2019- and will apply for Medicare.

However, We are considering a move to another state by 2021.

Do others have experience with that ?
I m thinking we review Medicare plans for possible new locations in the next 2 years so that we know the options and prices are acceptable to us.

We want to live somewhere with warmer winters and closer to grand kids who are all in other states

Any one with this experience, please share.

We moved while both of us were on ACA plans but have not moved since I've gone on Medicare. I do know from other discussion boards that certain plans will actually transfer, which surprised me - so you may want to check into that. However, you would need to know where you are moving to.

I think the norm is to change plans when moving. Plans and pricing will likely be different but perhaps more importantly the quality and availability of care may vary, sometimes significantly. I always used to pooh pooh my wife's concern about these factors when we were considering where we should live. Of course I'm the one who was diagnosed with cancer last year and went through extensive treatment. Boy am I happy that my wife stuck to her guns on that one! As it turns out I had some of the best medical care in the country within a 30 minute drive....and we've made that drive many, many times in the past year. Just one more factor for you to consider.

Medicare parts A & B is agnostic to state. It pays wherever you live. But not all doctors accept Medicare, so you have to be aware of that.

If you have supplemental plans ("Medigap"), you might encounter problems moving to another state since the Medigap plans are products from private insurance companies. Drug plans (part D) and extended coverage such as part F or part G, could have different costs and coverage in different states. You will have to look up the details for the plans and states you would consider.

We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield as secondary insurance rather than a Medicare part D or part F, and it works in all 50 states. But we got it through my wife's former employer as a retirement benefit.

I'm thinking we review Medicare plans for possible new locations in the next 2 years so that we know the options and prices are acceptable to us.
You did not specify Medigap or Medicare Advantage. Medigap plans follow you when you move. Whether or not the rates change depends on if the carrier uses resident-state or issue-state pricing. After moving, he can check rates on plans offered in the new state to see if they are better. He will probably need to pass medical underwriting to change Medigap carriers since CA is the only "warmer state" with consumer friendly rules for switching Medigaps. The benefits are standardized so, for example, all Plan G's have the same benefits.

OTOH, moving out of a Medicare Advantage plan's service area creates a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to change MA plans. MA plans will be dramatically expanding the range of benefits offered in the next couple of years so any research in the near term on the new location will probably be outdated in 2 years.

You also get a SEP to enroll in a new Part D drug plan after moving.

Be careful on the Advantage plan. A huge hospital chain to the north of us doesn't accept Advantage plans for their 1700 physicians and CNP's in their hundreds of doctors practices or their dozens of hospital locations. It operates somewhat like a HMO. Patients had to change doctors and go to hospitals out of town that had Advantage.

Back
Top Bottom