Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If a new use is found will Metformin be placed back on patent and acquire a government protected ounce of gold new price tag?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #22

If this works and we go on it my former employer is NOT going to like it. COLA'd DB pension y'know....

Old 11-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Trouble is that if it really works and people try to cheat on their FRA, Congress will elevate this drug to Schedule 2, the same as cocaine and heroin, in order to protect SS. Dealing in this drug can land you in the slammer for 20 years, ruining your retirement life.
Or fund it. That's free room and board for 20 years.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yeah, those lucky diabetics are aging gracefully with metformin. I think I will watch from the sidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here!
Ha! I'll dance on your graves with my 120 year old diabetic body.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #25

I just watched a NatGeo documentary on this and other research into anti-aging drugs. The program talked much more about better quality of life prior to the grim reaper than extremely long lives. Currently the FDA will authorize a drug to treat a particular disease but have never authorized a drug to treat a spectrum of diseases which is what anti aging drugs aim to do. i.e. Improve and extend life by delaying the onset of diseases such as diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's etc.

If we get to the stage of much healthier lives prior to death instead of a steady decline in health then healthcare costs will actually go down. The program ended with the FDA approving clinical trials for metformin as an anti aging drug, as currently it cannot be used for anything other than diabetes.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Ha! I'll dance on your graves with my 120 year old diabetic body.
Fair enough!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #27

Bring on the long life drug. I've been waiting and saving money for it. Hopefully, it's not $750 a pill kind of drug. Spending that kind of money on a pill will kill me.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, since two of the most notable life extension treatments known are this and extreme calorie restriction, it would seem that a starving diabetic would be the epitome of longevity. Any takers?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Bring on the long life drug. I've been waiting and saving money for it. Hopefully, it's not $750 a pill kind of drug. Spending that kind of money on a pill will kill me.

I can see it now...gangs of old people robbing heroin addicts to get money for their Metformin.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Another article about the TAME clinical study from this summer: Anti-ageing pill pushed as bona fide drug : Nature News & Comment
Old 11-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I can see it now...gangs of old people robbing heroin addicts to get money for their Metformin.
I think it'll be gangs of young people hijacking the shipments so that the old people will quit hanging around.

Quote:
I'm guessing more like $12K per year, and once you start you can't stop or all the benefit is lost.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=calmloki;1662873]Sounds good - looked up metformin and found this under side effects:
Gastrointestinal

Very common (10% or more): Diarrhea (53.2%), nausea/vomiting (25.5%), flatulence (12.1%)

Already have the flatulence thing down. Do I really need more?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think it'll be gangs of young people hijacking the shipments so that the old people will quit hanging around.

I'm guessing more like $12K per year, and once you start you can't stop or all the benefit is lost.
I was curious. An article from 2010 suggested cost of Metformin (which is a generic) should run about $18 a month, and lower if bought from a discount pharmacy.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apparently, you missed an earlier post.

Quote:
From the article in the link:
Scientists think the best candidate for an anti-ageing drug is metformin, the world's most widely used diabetes drug which costs just 10 cents a day.
Better stock up now before they raise the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just watched a NatGeo documentary on this and other research into anti-aging drugs. The program talked much more about better quality of life prior to the grim reaper than extremely long lives. Currently the FDA will authorize a drug to treat a particular disease but have never authorized a drug to treat a spectrum of diseases which is what anti aging drugs aim to do. i.e. Improve and extend life by delaying the onset of diseases such as diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's etc.

If we get to the stage of much healthier lives prior to death instead of a steady decline in health then healthcare costs will actually go down. The program ended with the FDA approving clinical trials for metformin as an anti aging drug, as currently it cannot be used for anything other than diabetes.
If something prolongs your life by keeping diseases at bay, then how would you die fast?

If the effect of the pill is to slow down the biological clock then you will live longer in good health, but when old age catches up with you, it seems reasonable to me that your lingering stage will also lengthen. In other words, if an average person now lives 70 years in good health then suffers a decline for 10 years till death, the new pill will let him have a good life for, say 90 years, but the decline will also be longer at 13 years. It still seems like more than fair trade, non?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #35

Quote:
I was curious. An article from 2010 suggested cost of Metformin (which is a generic) should run about $18 a month, and lower if bought from a discount pharmacy.
Buying drugs that have been on the market and raising the price by 20X or more is not uncommon. Examples are Daraprim and Cycloserine. Pricing in the US drug market is based on value, not cost. How much would people pay for this drug?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another article about the TAME clinical study from this summer: Anti-ageing pill pushed as bona fide drug : Nature News & Comment
A salient paragraph from the above link follows. I added the underline.
Barzilai and other researchers plan to test that notion in a clinical trial called Targeting Aging with Metformin, or TAME. They will give the drug metformin to thousands of people who already have one or two of three conditions cancer, heart disease or cognitive impairment or are at risk of them. People with type 2 diabetes cannot be enrolled because metformin is already used to treat that disease. The participants will then be monitored to see whether the medication forestalls the illnesses they do not already have, as well as diabetes and death.
So, they are giving the drug to people who are already sick, and see if it prolongs their life relative to the sick cohorts who do not get the drug.

If you do not have cancer, heart disease or cognitive impairment, no Metformin for you. Pssst... Got some money?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #37

Oh Dear!. I better wait until 70 to start collecting SS now that I will have another 40 years or so beyond the average life span to collect. And no doubt SS will be paid (with full COLA - no less) no matter how long people live or how many people make it into the + 120's - can't loose!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Buying drugs that have been on the market and raising the price by 20X or more is not uncommon.

Certainly. A global demand and marketing creativity will jack up the price of these pills for sure. The question is, can I afford it? Or, do I want to live that long when I am broke?

Instead of this type of drug, what if someone invents a drug that can put you in a dream (not coma) and extend your life to 500 years? It will be like living in a Matrix world, Neo. What if someone can control the dream to fill it with what you requested? Hmm, I am saving money for that one.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Buying drugs that have been on the market and raising the price by 20X or more is not uncommon. Examples are Daraprim and Cycloserine. Pricing in the US drug market is based on value, not cost. How much would people pay for this drug?
I wonder if they'll start digging tunnels from Canada under the border to send this stuff in when our local patriotic drug companies rev up to the true value - forget about smuggling low margin drugs like cocaine or heroin like they do from the other border
Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #40

Quote:

If something prolongs your life by keeping diseases at bay, then how would you die fast?

If the effect of the pill is to slow down the biological clock then you will live longer in good health, but when old age catches up with you, it seems reasonable to me that your lingering stage will also lengthen. In other words, if an average person now lives 70 years in good health then suffers a decline for 10 years till death, the new pill will let him have a good life for, say 90 years, but the decline will also be longer at 13 years. It still seems like more than fair trade, non?
The scientists on the program were saying that their research on mice did not prolong their lives very much but kept them much fitter. For example they gave the drug to old mice who were poor performers running on a treadmill and other tests, and they quickly started performing as well as much younger mice.

Both myself and my wife have close relatives, including both our fathers, who lived into their mid 80's and were extremely healthy, then died very quickly. My dad dropped dead with a AAA, and FIL suddenly took ill and was diagnosed with aggressive cancer and died within 6 weeks. ( they both lived alone in their own house ).

2 years ago we visited a 92 year old uncle of DW while we were in the UK, and he was still super fit, living in his own house, sharp as a tack and very active still in his local dance club. 9 months later he dropped dead with a AAA.