Anti-Aging Medicine

When I asked, he told me that he was 91, and did no more than walking and flexibility exercises, that he did every single day.
I'm thinking that the "every single day" thing is important for me. Yesterday after exercise, I was rather sore, and the only thing different about that day was that I had taken the two days previous off -- no exercise.

I don't take these anecdotes very seriously, because what I've gathered from several recent articles on fitness and old age is that people differ a lot in how well they age and how they respond to exercise.

I'm thinking that the "every single day" thing is important for me. Yesterday after exercise, I was rather sore, and the only thing different about that day was that I had taken the two days previous off -- no exercise.

I don't take these anecdotes very seriously, because what I've gathered from several recent articles on fitness and old age is that people differ a lot in how well they age and how they respond to exercise.

No argument here. We had planned to go for a long bike today but it is wet and cold and our willpower to exercise at all quickly disappeared.

My FIL died at 85 this year and looked great right up to a few weeks before he died. He was never sick and never, ever, did any formal exercise. He worked in a warehouse until he retired at 60 and was keen on gardening but that was it. Genes definitely play a big part in how we age imo.

It does seem like many of the people who were serious athletes during their younger years deal with a lot of physical problems as they get older as a result. One of my regular golfing partners was a semi-pro baseball player who had to have hip replacement surgery later in life and cannot walk 18 holes now. Another member of our club is an ex-NFL player who has more 'zippers' on his legs then I have in my closet. He also has difficulty walking around. I guess it's all about moderation.

Interpreting the Data on Longevity

And this is interesting:

Louise Levy just one of 500 centenarians, whose genes are being studied for secret to longevity

Many of them smoked more, exercised less and weighed more throughout their lives than people who typically live shorter lives, Barzilai said.

Let me assume for the moment that the data base is large enough to be significant, and that appropriate statistical methods were used. Then a legitimate conclusion from this report is that smoking less, exercising more, and maintaining a healthy body weight are no guarantees of long life. An unsupported conclusion is that healthful practices are irrelevant to longevity so you may as well enjoy your bad habits. (In fact, I knew a man who never smoked and died young of lung cancer anyway. Want to chance it?) -- Ted, resident Puritan and statistician

Infirmities of Old Age

It does seem like many of the people who were serious athletes during their younger years deal with a lot of physical problems as they get older as a result. One of my regular golfing partners was a semi-pro baseball player who had to have hip replacement surgery later in life and cannot walk 18 holes now. Another member of our club is an ex-NFL player who has more 'zippers' on his legs then I have in my closet. He also has difficulty walking around. I guess it's all about moderation.
I can't argue with your cautious personal observations. Sports injuries occur and may persist. Still, it is true also, isn't it?, that many people who were not serious athletes during their younger years also deal with a lot of physical problems as they get older. That may be a result of inactivity or obesity or substance abuse and may be for some other reasons.

The definition of "moderation" may vary with differences in experience, interest, and will power between people. I work hard in the gym for an hour or a little more about four days out of five. With some breaks, I have done this for years, even when I worked for a living. (Originally, it was three days in seven, but grew gradually.) Some people have asked me how I find or found the time for that. I ask them how much time they spend looking at television or cruising the internet or playing computer games. When I worked, I made it a point to move close to any new job I took so that I did not have to spend a lot of time commuting. Of course, I never raised a family, so YMMV. I did have a professional occupation where the bosses expected us to contribute endless amounts of unpaid overtime. Now that all my time is my own, it's easier to give high priority to preserving and enhancing my health.

-- Ted, resident Puritan

And this is interesting:

Louise Levy just one of 500 centenarians, whose genes are being studied for secret to longevity

Many of them smoked more, exercised less and weighed more throughout their lives than people who typically live shorter lives, Barzilai said.

I think "extra long" lived folks have a strong link to genetics, more than any other factors. I only hope I have some of those genes that my father and great grandfather had. Both were heavy smokers from being young and both were underground coal miners for all their working lives from age 14. My great grandfather also served for all 4 years of WWI and was discharged in 1919 as 60% disabled (we have his war record). He was gassed twice and shot in the arm, and returned to the war each time. In 1938 he fell down a mineshaft and shattered both legs, needing to have one amputated. He was still a formidable chap right up to his death at age 92.

For the vast majority, the best we can do is live as healthily as we can.

(In fact, I knew a man who never smoked and died young of lung cancer anyway. Want to chance it?)
Without wishing to imply that lack of exercise, smoking, consumption of lots of high fructose corn syrup, red meat and animal fat, and so on, are not risk factors for cancer, I see many reports from cancer victims (reading cancer forums, as I do), complaining that they've done everything right, with life-long practices of vigorous exercise, healthful diet, and, generally speaking, clean living. Yet they got cancer. It does happen.

I think "extra long" lived folks have a strong link to genetics, more than any other factors.
There is little doubt about this:
Male siblings of centenarians have an 17 times greater chance than other men born around the same time of reaching age 100 years and female siblings have an 8½ greater chance than other females also born around the same time of achieving age 100.
Why Study Centenarians? An Overview » New England Centenarian Study » BUMC

I always find it interesting, that of all the 12 or more billions of people that have been on this planet, none have turned out to be immortal. That is, everyone ages and dies. No one has even lived to be 200.

There was an article in a local paper saying "Statistically, your chances of dying are higher in this county." Someone wrote in and said, "Actually no, everyone's chances of dying are 100%."

I always find it interesting, that of all the 12 or more billions of people that have been on this planet, none have turned out to be immortal.
As far as we know...

"There can be only one!!"

I just found this forum again. My latest previous post here was December 14th, 2010. Here is my update. I have continued with my regular resistance training, typically three days in four or six days in seven, for a sweaty hour each time. Sad to say, arthritis made some shoulder repair necessary. That damaged my workouts for some months. I have regained my flexibility almost completely, but my strength is coming back only slowly. My surgeon said I could get to 80% or 85% of my prior strength. I didn't say what I thought, which is this: No one can tell me what my limits are. I have to find out for myself. Other people may not have my perseverance.

I have continued with an over-the-counter vasodilator and prescription hormone therapy (testosterone, transdermal delivery). I have been willing to bet that hormone therapy will not damage my health, given the dosage the doctor prescribed. My PSA test has been 0.9, give or take 0.1, every year for years now, starting before the hormone therapy and continuing to this day. The notion that hormone therapy produces or stimulates prostatic cancer has no credibility with me. In my recent annual physical, all my blood tests were within normal limits, including testosterone. I have called myself the resident Puritan in some of my earlier posts. My aversion to drugs in general does not apply to prescription testosterone. It benefits my morale and strength with no significant side-effects. (At least, that is my strong impression.)

An earlier post in this series said that we can expect to live about ten years longer than our parents. I am already 17 years older than my father was when he died, and 12 years older than my brother was when he died.

Ted Shepherd, greatly enjoying retirement for 19 years now

Thanks for the update Ted.

I had shoulder surgery on both shoulders 7 years ago to remove arthritic bone ridges that were producing really bad tendonitis. I hope your surgery is as successful as mine has been. I would say I have about 70 - 80% of the strength and flexibility I had in my 40's. No problem in playing tennis but I can't throw a baseball or softball without pain, and the reduced flexibility is apparent in my yoga sessions. However, it is a HUGE improvement to what is was prior to surgery when I had to learn to shave with my left hand because it hurt so much using my right.

No one can tell me what my limits are. I have to find out for myself. Other people may not have my perseverance.

Thats the right perspective in my mind; keep it up Ted and I'm sure you will get to where you want to be.

I'll have to find her name... but I was shocked by a statement from a world leading researcher in genetic research who confidently stated that the first person to reach the age of 1000 is surely alive today.

I suppose one can easily make statements like that because if you're wrong no one will remember but if you're right you'll end up in the history books as a visionary. Not a lot to lose.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom