Anyone Else See An Unexpected Jump In Medica Premiums ? *Minnesota*

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm from Minnesota and have used Medica since December 2016.
Individual HD Plan

Received a pamphlet from Medica sometime in October. It stated the following.

Beginning January 2019, we won't offer your current health coverage on MNSURE. The last day of your current MNSURE coverage is December 31, 2018. We found another MNSURE plan that may meet your needs. Starting in January 2019, you will automatically be enrolled in Applause Bronze H MN

It went on to state that my estimated monthly premium for 2019 would be $270.69 which is about $10.00 less than my premiums for 2018.

There were no major changes in the individual deductible ($6200) or the maximum out of pocket number ($6750)

That was fine with me, so I didn't think about it again until yesterday, when I received my January premium bill.

I realize the $270.69 quote they gave me was only an estimate, but the new bill is $368.20..... about 36.00% higher than that.

Hoping there's other forum members who live in Minnesota & also use Medica. Just curious to see if this happened to you as well.

I did call both Medica and MNSURE yesterday afternoon, but unfortunately I just got called away, & won't have time to give all those details. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

UPDATE: Stephanie, a rep from Medica told me that the monthly subsidy amount had been lowered by approximately $100.00 but couldn't explain why ?
She also mentioned that they had gotten lots of calls like mine that day.

She patched me through to MNSURE. I won't use his name, but this is what he said, & I'm being 100.00% serious.
"because the premiums are down, the premiums are up" I had a headache by that time, & didn't pursue it any further.
The only explanation I can come up with, is that he was trying to say Medica didn't have enough people signed up for the year (premiums down)
& therefore because it was a smaller pool of people, they had to raise the premiums ?

Last edited:
Your subsidy may be reduced because the cost of the second lowest silver plan has been reduced. When that premium goes down then your subsidy goes down, resulting in a higher premium for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom