Apps for weight lifting

photoguy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking for an app (preferable android, but IOS is also an option) that my wife can use for tracking her weight training sessions. Basically all we want is something that can record the exercise, weight setting and number of reps.

We've downloaded a few but they seem overly complex for what we want. Anyone have recommendations for something that's simple?

I tried a few apps, and I think Jefit is the one a lot of people like. Anyway, I tried it and others, and didn't like any of them.

What I do instead is to keep a text file in "Notes" on my iPhone. I have all of my weight exercises listed, one on each line, in the order that I do them, and at the end of the line I record the weight and number of reps. When working out, I just correct the weight and number of reps and leave the rest.

I like this because it is really quick! Also I can see what I did last time. My notation is such that "4x85" would mean 85 pounds, 4 sets of 10. I almost always do 2 sets of 10, so if I just write "85" that means 85 pounds, 2 sets of 10.

If I want graphs and such, I can do that at home in Excel. If I want a permanent record I can keep that at home in Excel too.

Last edited:
I think my wife downloaded Jefit but then complained that as she was trying to setup a work she had to pick between 400 different arm exercises to find the one she did.

I think something simple like a text editor is a good idea and we will try that (or maybe a spreadsheet). Failing that there is always pen and paper.

I use runkeeper, but weights and reps have to be entered as notes AFAIK. Great for hiking,biking, running, walking outside - workout is automatically logged from smartphone GPS

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've used an Android application called 'Simple Workout Log' for quite a while. It's easy to set up a routine, and then really easy to track reps and sets.

I have a GPS/HR watch that I like very much and use all the time for tracking my cardio workouts (running, cycling, hiking) but find pencil and paper work best for keeping track of my weight training. At least it works best for my small home exercise room, maybe an app would be better if working out at a gym. I use to log my weight training for a permanent record but found I never used it.

Last edited:
I've used an Android application called 'Simple Workout Log' for quite a while. It's easy to set up a routine, and then really easy to track reps and sets.

We've been using this app for the past couple workouts (weights twice per week). It's pretty easy to use and setup. There are some minor UI annoyances like when you select an exercise it doesn't show you the history so you can see your last setting (without going to a different tab).

Overall though it's pretty nice and we'll probably stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom