Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I had started the turtle neck syndrome in my mid 40s. Luckily due to a running injury I started a Pilates class using the reformer, then added Yoga and Pilates mat classes. I was able to run again within 6 months, but the biggest benefit was the improvement to my posture and over well being. Another added bonus was learning how to relax and breathe. I didn't know what I didn't know.

Note: Find a good Pilates or Yoga instructor. Start with a small group class or private instruction so they can monitor you for correct form.
Yoga and Pilates are wonderful for overall fitness, but how many people are willing to commit to them? What about strengthening the weakened muscles that Simple Girl mentioned? It seems like they must be muscles that are not often trained. How can we learn to isolate and strengthen them?

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I deal with this every day in my clients. It is due to ADL's(activities of daily living) such as driving long hours, sitting in front of a screen for 8 hours, bad posture.
The muscles to relieve would by the Pecs (major and minor) and Trapezius (upper, middle, lower) and building up the Rhomboids and Erectors.
If they are tight....get some bodywork done, then find a good physical therapist, personal trainer, yoga teacher, and pilates teacher. Take lots of breaks every hour, make sure your desk is ergonomically correct, and do some neck stretches.
I have seen a lot of the 17-25 year olds with the rounded shoulders and the Kyphosis starting to emerge and it is absolutely sad.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
IThe muscles to relieve would by the Pecs (major and minor) and Trapezius (upper, middle, lower) and building up the Rhomboids and Erectors.
Thanks, Citrine. I also found two videos of simple exercises that I want to try for a while. What do you think of these?

Exercise to stretch the neck muscles (scalenes):
Bing Video: Stretch Your Scalenes

Exercise to strengthen teres minor (back of shoulder - when it's weak, you get round shoulders):
Bing Video: Posture Confidence - Improve Posture
Old 01-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amethyst,

I cannot get those videos to play right on my computer, but perhaps you would find this helpful:

Get in shape with exercises you can do anywhere - 6/09/08 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com

Of course, keep in mind that if you have an injury or neck pain, you should see a physical therapist in person for individualized evaluation and exercise prescription before trying any exercises.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

While I was out today I noticed that almost everyone, young or old, has his/her head down. I think I know why, at least in my neighborhood. There are lots of sidewalks broken up by roots from the old maples and other trees planted in the strip outside the sidewalk. Unless you keep a pretty good eye on the sidewalks you can take a really nastly fall.

As an experiment I tried keeping my head level and just looking down with my eyes alone. Kind of weird.

Ha
Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
As an experiment I tried keeping my head level and just looking down with my eyes alone. Kind of weird.
Is that because you're looking through the reading part of bifocals?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Is that because you're looking through the reading part of bifocals?
Well, I am weird, but not that weird. I think I am not used to looking one direction or another without my head tracking at least somewhat.

Ha

Tags
neck, old age, posture