Are you a good handwasher?

I have some slight allergies. How to scratch that nose once in awhile? :)

Frequent hand washer here, but nowhere close to monk level frequency. I try to avoid touching my face (esp. eyes/nose) unless my hands are clean as I've heard that's how colds are spread.

Lots of "ewww" factor when one notices people in public washrooms who exit without washing hands.

For your question - maybe - like sneezing into elbow instead of hands, find a way to keep germs away from fingers. Rub upper part of nose with wrist/back of hand (not touching nostrils or eyes for that matter). Keep fingers away since you touch other things with fingers. Maybe (?) this is safer until you can wash.

Use germ-killing disposable tissues?

Maybe others have better suggestions.

Now I should go wash my hands...

For your question - maybe - like sneezing into elbow instead of hands, find a way to keep germs away from fingers. Rub upper part of nose with wrist/back of hand (not touching nostrils or eyes for that matter). Keep fingers away since you touch other things with fingers. Maybe (?) this is safer until you can wash.

Use germ-killing disposable tissues?
Regarding touching the face, I have all kinds of weird thoughts about this one. I'm very allergic to poison oak and just got a bit on a trip last week. It's actually an oil that you cannot see (kind of like viruses ... invisible but there). I got it on my lips a bit, after touching my shoes (I think). So there is a real time example of the dangers of touching bad stuff.

I mentioned to the doctor just a couple of weeks ago that I use the back of my wrist area which has guy hairs :blush: to lightly scratch my nose when it itches a bit. He wasn't impressed with my technique. Gave me a doubtful look.

Maybe using a tissue to itch the face is a good idea? It's an extra effort for sure but I carry them all the time because of light allergies.

I don't think I'm fearful of viral infections, just trying to come up with best practices. After all, what do you do in ER when you like to analyze stuff to death?

I wash my hands before and after meals and after I return home from outside. Sometimes I make an excuse to go to the bathroom if I shake someone's sweaty or dirty hands. I don't wash with soap every time.

I very often wash my face or wipe it clean after someone gives me a kiss on the cheek. Thankfully, I live in a country where locals do not practise this often.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom