FDA: Best Practices for Re-Opening Retail Food Establishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Here’s a new posting from the FDA titled “Best Practices for Re-Opening Retail Food Establishments During the COVID-19 Pandemic”. https://www.fda.gov/food/food-safet...-food-establishments-during-covid-19-pandemic

A few of the practices follow:

Food Contact and Non-food Contact Surfaces (Clean, Disinfect, Sanitize)

Are necessary sanitizers and disinfectants that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2 available and used per label instructions to clean and disinfect the facility during hours of operation?

Are food contact surfaces and counters cleaned and sanitized? (Wash, rinse, and sanitize food contact surfaces, food preparation surfaces, and beverage equipment after use.)

Are common use areas such as restrooms being cleaned and disinfected more frequently?

Are high-touch areas and equipment cleaned and disinfected (e.g. door knobs, display cases, equipment handles, check-out counters, order kiosks, and grocery cart handles)?

Are sufficient stocks of single-service and single-use articles (e.g. tableware, carryout utensils, bread wrappers, and plastic wrap) available? If not, ensure all reusable food service items are handled with gloves and washed with dish soap and hot water or in a dishwasher. Employees should wash their hands after removing their gloves and after directly handling used food service items.

Are staff properly trained on cleaning procedures to ensure safe and correct application of disinfectants?

Has a disinfection schedule or routine plan been developed? Ensure sufficient stocks of cleaning and disinfecting supplies to accommodate ongoing cleaning and disinfection.

Handwashing Stations

Have you trained and reminded employees of effective hand hygiene practices including washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing their nose, coughing, or sneezing?

Are all the handwashing sinks accessible and fully stocked (e.g. soap, paper towels, hand wash sign, and trash bins)?

Are paper towels and trash cans available in the bathrooms so doors can be opened and closed without touching handles directly?

Are all the handwashing sinks functional and able to reach 100⁰F minimum?
Have you considered using hand sanitizers (minimum 60% alcohol), as appropriate, in multiple locations to encourage hand hygiene by both customers and employees to supplement hand washing?

Employee Health / Screening

Do you have a protocol to check employee health and personal hygiene practices within your food establishment?

Are you following CDC guidance and practices for employee health checks/screenings?

Have you checked CDC and local regulatory/health authority guidance for employees returning back to work?

Is there a plan to monitor and respond to a higher than normal level of absenteeism?

Is there a plan or policy for, and an adequate supply of, personal protective equipment (PPE) and/or cloth face coverings? Cloth face coverings should only be used if PPE is not required, and changed as needed if worn.

Social Distancing

Has the facility taken measures (e.g. tape on floors/sidewalks, partitions, and signage on walls) to minimize face-to-face contact that allows, to the extent possible, at least a 6-foot distance between workers, customers, and visitors?

Have you limited offering self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations? As local regulatory/health authorities lift levels of restrictions, limit use with additional monitoring.

Have you restricted the number of employees in shared spaces, including kitchens, break rooms, and offices to maintain at least a 6-foot distance between people?

We were invited to a pre-opening of an area restaurant today to test out their new procedures .We sat outside on the deck and the tables were 6 feet apart .The menus were paper , all condiments were single serve and you had your choice of single use (plastic) silverware or the real thing . All the staff were wearing masks and sanitizer was readily available . We thought they did a great job and will return in a week or so .

Last edited:
Holy cow. No thank you, I will just cook. A lot healthier anyway.

I guess the good news is most of this is not new to food service companies except the Employee Health and Social Distancing. They may not have been as cautious about it as they need to be now. But, I think their main learning curve will be in the 2 areas I suggested here.

That provides me some confidence in their ability to make their property safe. They just really need to raise the bar on their training and execution. Having said this and being in the danger age, I might wait a short period for the system to be refined

The opening we were invited had very limited people there .Otherwise we would not have gone.

A gal who worked for me posted a photo of her family opening an IHOP. There was 3 generations at the table she was the youngest there at ~50. I never thought she was too smart.

Heading to the mountains tomorrow with DS (and the mutt) for a overnighter or two. Will stay at a hotel and dine at restaurants (using all appropriate protocol). I'm done with being in lock-down.:mad:

DW will likely opt out when I spring it on her later today. :D But, she's headed to church shortly (her church is open - mine isn't). Different strokes.......

I would like to see that FDA add another rule that every toilet is fitted with a lid/cover to prevent the aerosol transmission of the virus via fecal-oral when the toilet is flushed. And allowing only one person in the bathroom at one time.

Last edited:
I do not know the person who authored the link but I thought it provided some good information. This and suggestions. I would read the questions as well.

The author teaches at UMass where she performs infection control work but not in this area. She is sharing her thoughts for family and friends. It went viral.

The website is quirky. When it locked up, I copied and pasted from the address bar and it worked until it locked again.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/th...BTihfN_NiVHeosdbq-vTZTyDtCeAF5ouQ1cLYqSHpjxZo

We won’t be the first back, but we’ll be in the second or third wave (no pun intended) back in reputable restaurants.

It’s a good list in the OP.

My biggest concern is trusting they’ll do what they say. Does anyone think the “employees must wash hands” signs in restaurant bathrooms do anything but assuage naive customers? For example, IMO they should clear after each customer but not sanitize. They should sanitize as they seat the next customer. I’d feel way more comfortable seeing it done versus trusting it was done. Not ideal but restaurants are going to have to take verifiable steps to gain customers trust - words on the walls aren’t enough. YMMV

Many restaurant bathrooms have a long way to go.

And having an open kitchen may become a big benefit for those restaurants already set up that way. Fortunately some of our favorite restaurants have been open kitchen all along.

Last edited:
...Does anyone think the “employees must wash hands” signs in restaurant bathrooms do anything but assuage naive customers?

I always thought the sign should read: "Employees must wash hands after using the restroom...then grab the filthy handle on the door which opens in before returning to work with your food."

This might just get through to the designers and architects to specify doors which open out without needing to use the handle.

I guess the good news is most of this is not new to food service companies except the Employee Health and Social Distancing. They may not have been as cautious about it as they need to be now. But, I think their main learning curve will be in the 2 areas I suggested here.

That provides me some confidence in their ability to make their property safe. They just really need to raise the bar on their training and execution. Having said this and being in the danger age, I might wait a short period for the system to be refined

With DD working in the restaurant industry, this is an area I've been following closely. Restaurants have not all successfully made adaptations to the same extent during these dining room closures. I've read some accounts in my local news of some independent restaurants and how they've "adapted" during these dining room closures. I don't want to eat at those places ever. That's saying something, considering that many of you know that I've advocated for people continuing to support restaurants with take out food during this difficult time.

A restaurant that has been able to serve carry out customers without severely cutting regular service hours or days of operation has had the most opportunity to put the protocols into practice all along. This doesn't guarantee anything, but it's just another layer to consider. Is an independent restaurant with fewer layers of accountability going to adhere to the protocols better or worse than a chain restaurant with many layers of accountability? A Cheers-type place where everybody knows your name (and you know the owner by name) or a place where no one cares who you are? It's not that simple, but it can get you thinking about any concerns you might have.

I've continued to get take out every week during all of the shut downs. I've exclusively patronized chain restaurants where I've been able to walk inside to get my orders. (Several independent Chinese take out places shut down completely in March. :confused: Boo. :() I haven't used a drive thru, curbside pickup, or delivery service. In general, all employees wear masks since the mandate, if it's not against safety regulations. Gloves have been SOP for food prep anyway, so that's been business as usual. Hand sanitizer is there for the customers.

Romeos Pizza and Pizza Pan have signs posted to limit the number of people allowed inside their smaller lobbies. Last week Romeo's Pizza had a dish of Hershey's miniatures out on the counter for customers. I almost reached for one, then thought better of it. It goes against the "best practice" of not leaving stuff out that customers can get their hands all over. On a similar note, I noticed that Marco's Pizza hadn't removed lids, napkins, and similar stuff that customers touch. But none of that affects what I'm going in for.

I'm most familiar with Panera Bread's routine, because it's an integral part of DD's job. Before dining rooms were mandated closed in March, corporate had sent down some best practice mandates to follow. They immediately removed cups, lids, creamers, stirrers, condiments, etc. from the dining room. The cashier has to hand over those things. Cleaning and disinfecting practices were enhanced, including in the bathroom. They switched from using their normal rags soaked in a chemical solution to wipe down tables to using disinfectant wipes that are more easily recognized as such by customers. I don't know if they're still going to use the wipes exclusively when they reopen. DD told me that she was going through them too fast when customers were still allowed to eat inside. She's still using the wipes now to clean common touch points. Bathrooms have been closed to customers, but they're still cleaned as regularly. The tables are still cleaned, but the tables the employees use for their meal breaks need the most regular attention throughout the day. The floors are still cleaned, mopped, and vacuumed. They put the credit card terminal on a table in front of the cashier to maintain more distance between the customer and the cashier. Yesterday they put ridiculously small social distancing dots on the floor leading from the front door to the cashier. Hopefully they're just temporary and they get something more visible soon. They look like someone dropped a trail of paper specks on the floor. :LOL:

I'm under the impression that McDonald's and Burger King have kept their doors locked to customers and you have to use the drive thru or delivery. That's what their signs outside indicate. I wonder if they're bothering to clean as thoroughly inside right now. I'd still expect high standards from them when they reopen. However, our McDonald's closest to our house doesn't have high standards in either quality of service, accuracy of orders, or dining room cleanliness. I've had enough negative experiences there that I seldom go there anymore. It's more unusual to see clean tables there than dirty tables. It seems to be too much of a challenge for them to get someone out there with just a simple wet rag to take care of it. That doesn't mean as much when you're getting carry out, but it says something about how much they effort that location may (not) put into the new mandated standards for cleanliness and sanitation.

Last edited:
I would like to see that FDA add another rule that every toilet is fitted with a lid/cover to prevent the aerosol transmission of the virus via fecal-oral when the toilet is flushed. And allowing only one person in the bathroom at one time.

Of all the...that would require the customer to put down the lid/cover before flushing the toilet. An employee can't monitor that! :eek: I can't picture restaurants hiring bathroom attendants to enforce allowing only one person to enter the bathroom (with multiple stalls) at one time either. :facepalm:

I always thought the sign should read: "Employees must wash hands after using the restroom...then grab the filthy handle on the door which opens in before returning to work with your food."

This might just get through to the designers and architects to specify doors which open out without needing to use the handle.

Exactly. An excellent pet peeve.

Of all the...that would require the customer to put down the lid/cover before flushing the toilet. An employee can't monitor that! :eek: I can't picture restaurants hiring bathroom attendants to enforce allowing only one person to enter the bathroom (with multiple stalls) at one time either. :facepalm:

Not realistic for a big bathroom with a dozen toilets for sure, but with a small bathroom (ex. two toilets), you can tape up one of them like they do with urinals. I actually wouldn't want to visit any public bathrooms at this point though...

As for the lid, as well as the flush lever, I use toilet paper / paper towel to touch anything in the bathroom (except for when I turn on the water if it's not motion-detected), but I've done that for years.

Not sure how this can be addressed.
Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route
https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85315

Last edited:
My mask is firmly attached to my face and will be for an unforeseen future. We do pick up and take home.....happy with that. No dining in for us for awhile.

Our restaurants were allowed to open yesterday with less than 2 days notice. Most did not. We ate out and had a draft beer that tasted delicious. Very few people were out.

I'm under the impression that McDonald's and Burger King have kept their doors locked to customers and you have to use the drive thru or delivery. That's what their signs outside indicate. I wonder if they're bothering to clean as thoroughly inside right now. I'd still expect high standards from them when they reopen. However, our McDonald's closest to our house doesn't have high standards in either quality of service, accuracy of orders, or dining room cleanliness. I've had enough negative experiences there that I seldom go there anymore. It's more unusual to see clean tables there than dirty tables. It seems to be too much of a challenge for them to get someone out there with just a simple wet rag to take care of it. That doesn't mean as much when you're getting carry out, but it says something about how much they effort that location may (not) put into the new mandated standards for cleanliness and sanitation.
Not disagreeing with any of your comment, but I’d add that fast food is there for customers looking for the lowest prices primarily. So fast food places have always minimized their costs, including labor, as much as customers have allowed them. Consciously or not, more than enough customers have been willing to overlook less than spotless tables and bathrooms that it’s not been unusual - in exchange for low prices and quick food.

Post SARS-CoV-2 I assume most people’s expectations regarding cleanliness/sanitation are rapidly changing for many businesses, certainly restaurants. So I expect the large chains will visibly change their cleaning/sanitation practices considerably as they reopen, and that will add labor and cleaning supplies, which will increase costs and therefore prices at some point. It may not be obvious in prices at first as restaurants may have to accept thinner margins to bring customers back for quite a while. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Not realistic for a big bathroom with a dozen toilets for sure, but with a small bathroom (ex. two toilets), you can tape up one of them like they do with urinals. I actually wouldn't want to visit any public bathrooms at this point though...

I wouldn't know what they do with urinals. I wouldn't trust customers not to barge in past the tape and use the toilet anyway and possibly make even more of a mess than usual. I've heard stories from DD about her bathroom cleaning adventures that I'll keep to myself. :sick:

Not disagreeing with any of your comment, but I’d add that fast food is there for customers looking for the lowest prices primarily. So fast food places have always minimized their costs, including labor, as much as customers have allowed them. Consciously or not, more than enough customers have been willing to overlook less than spotless tables and bathrooms that it’s not been unusual - in exchange for low prices and quick food.

We had high standards back in the late 70's to mid 80's when I worked in fast food. During lunch and dinner rush at McDonald's, we had someone dedicated to the dining area, keeping tables constantly cleaned between customers, emptying trash, etc. That was before a drive thru existed though. Now it's like they forget that some people actually eat in and the place still needs cleaning more than once a day. :facepalm:

I have no issue with takeout, now or later, but I don't see myself enjoying a meal served by a masked and gloved waiter, and I don't expect I'll be sitting down in a restaurant any time soon.

Colorado restaurant defies shutdown order

This woman opened her establishment on Mother's Day in defiance of the shutdown order.

People jammed in the space, one on top of the other. Zero masks. Zero social distancing. Zero common sense. :(

Scenes like THIS are exactly why I will be staying home for a long time. Scenes like this will replay all around the country.

The video is horrifying, and the comments in the article are mind-boggling.

https://castlerocknewspress.net/sto...aws-crowd-against-public-health-orders,298725

I've heard stories from DD about her bathroom cleaning adventures that I'll keep to myself. :sick:

It's hard to have faith in your fellow man if you've ever had to clean public bathrooms. :(

(I was early morning cleanup at a pizza shop during college)

This woman opened her establishment on Mother's Day in defiance of the shutdown order.

People jammed in the space, one on top of the other. Zero masks. Zero social distancing. Zero common sense. :(

Scenes like THIS are exactly why I will be staying home for a long time. Scenes like this will replay all around the country.

The video is horrifying, and the comments in the article are mind-boggling.

https://castlerocknewspress.net/sto...aws-crowd-against-public-health-orders,298725
OK, that’s shocking, alarming, surprising, disappointing. Unless all the experts are wrong - I guess some people are going to have to find out the hard way, and if they do others may finally get the message. We’ll be going back to restaurants soon after they reopen, but if that’s what we find when we arrive, we won’t go in. There didn’t seem to be any precautions or distancing at all :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom