Are you having to weight train to maintain upper body

vickko

Dryer sheet aficionado
Are you having to weight train to maintain upper body strength?

I am shocked at how much upper body strength I don't have. I do kung fu forms, with weapons and am finding that it is killing my upper body.

And I also like photography and as a consequence, tend to lug a packsack around, with either cameras or books. And it is getting really annoying at how careful I have to do this. When I was younger, it never bothered my to lug a bag of books around, or cameras, but now, I have to be careful to be balanced, and my back really feels it after two to three hours.

So, I'm reading that "after 50", one has to do conscientious weigh training" to maintain and build strength, because there is natural muscle loss occurring.

So - are you finding this to be true?

I'm annoyed because I've always disliked weight training (high boredom factor).

V....

I used to include a couple of weight training session a week - then we had children and I had to cut back on a lot of things and the weight training was one of them ( I kept doing a modest amount of cardio work). After a gap of a few years I went back to one session of weights a week and I cannot do anything like the weight levels that I used to.

As I moved into my 40s I have become convinced that it takes me longer to recover from an exercise session than it used to.

I am shocked at how much upper body strength I don't have. I do kung fu forms, with weapons and am finding that it is killing my upper body.

And I also like photography and as a consequence, tend to lug a packsack around, with either cameras or books. And it is getting really annoying at how careful I have to do this. When I was younger, it never bothered my to lug a bag of books around, or cameras, but now, I have to be careful to be balanced, and my back really feels it after two to three hours.

So, I'm reading that "after 50", one has to do conscientious weigh training" to maintain and build strength, because there is natural muscle loss occurring.

So - are you finding this to be true?

I'm annoyed because I've always disliked weight training (high boredom factor).

V....

In a word - Yes.

I've never liked weight training but now I do it a couple of times a week - started doing it 5 years ago when I turned 50 :) However, a couple of hours weight training each week is not really that big a deal.

Weight train every other day and I clearly notice the difference.

Me, I'm convinced the single biggest thing I can do to enjoy my later years (early 50's now) is to maintain a consistent exercise program that includes weights. While diet is important: it is nothing without daily exercise IMH, but uneducated, O.

Weight training is very helpful for women in their 50's and 60's who want to maintain their upper body strength, too. This is especially important for maintaining one's independence. Who wants to ask for help just to change a light bulb or lift a box?

Weight training is very helpful for women in their 50's and 60's who want to maintain their upper body strength, too. This is especially important for maintaining one's independence. Who wants to ask for help just to change a light bulb or lift a box?

Helps with bone density, too.

Yes, since my 30's. I also do push-ups, and front and side planks for core strength. It's time-consuming, and a nuisance, but then I think of an acquaintance my age who is a demi-plegic (only the right half of her body is mobile, due to a stroke at a young age) and how hard she struggles just to maintain basic mobility.

Amethyst

V....

Yes. Definitely since 40s. (female)

I find weight training pretty essential to maintaining my health and it seems to really help with the weight management too. I think part of this is the extra muscle mass helps burn more calories.

Not just upper body for me - lower body too, even though I do a walking and some bicycle riding.

Audrey

Yes. Definitely since 40s. (female)

I find weight training pretty essential to maintaining my health and it seems to really help with the weight management too. I think part of this is the extra muscle mass helps burn more calories.

Not just upper body for me - lower body too, even though I do a walking and some bicycle riding.

Audrey

+1

I also think lower body is very important as the legs are sometimes referred to as the "2nd heart", as it is vital to maintain the elasticity of the big arteries in the legs to help push blood to the extremities.

I've been pretty dedicated to regular exercise for decades but it was mostly running. I was never able to stay with a weight program for any sustained period. That changed about 5 years ago when I joined a fitness center and began lifting weights twice a week (with the occasional 3rd day on a weekend at home.) I've since changed fitness centers to one that has a better variety of equipment and programs. I'm still sticking with it. At my age (65) I'll never look like Arnold but I think as I've aged it's been a good component of my overall exercise program. Now, if I could only make myself stretch with some regularity....

...I'll never look like Arnold....

Good for you!

http://kroppsbygging.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/arnold_schwarzenegger_fat.jpg

arnold_schwarzenegger_fat.jpg

About 5 years ago I bought myself several sets of hand weights and starting working out with them for about 15 minutes every morning (alternating between upper and lower body exercises). I do it 6 days a week, and decided that the only way I would stick with it was to decide this was a mandatory part of my morning routine. I don't give myself an out if I just don't feel like it.

I suppose it is boring, but so is showering, making the bed, brushing my teeth, applying makeup, etc. I just put it in the same category as these tasks, and since I don't decide to forego any of those if I "don't feel like it", I can't forego the weight-bearing exercises either.

I have stuck with it and actually don't mind it too much - it really has become an integral part of my morning. Of course it's much easier now that I'm not running off to a j*b every morning.

In the book I mentioned above, the author shows some research that demonstrated that the benefits of strength training three times per week were only a little better than two times per week.

In the book I mentioned above, the author shows some research that demonstrated that the benefits of strength training three times per week were only a little better than two times per week.

Sounds reasonable. Still, I am good at procrastinating (maybe I should add that to the other thread). Anyway, for me sometimes it is better to aim for 4 times a week just to end up getting in 2-3 times per week.

Woo-Hoo!!! I only strength train twice a week - now I have a valid reason to back up that [-]procrastination[/-] decision.

Thanks. :flowers:

I've read that, too. The other Thing I understand is that doing 3 sets of each exercise is only marginally better than doing 2 sets (as long as you use enough weight). So there you have it - 2 sets of each exercise twice a week.

I've read that, too. The other Thing I understand is that doing 3 sets of each exercise is only marginally better than doing 2 sets (as long as you use enough weight). So there you have it - 2 sets of each exercise twice a week.

Oh good! There's MY excuse for only doing 2 sets of each exercise. I do that to forestall boredom. I use enough weight to challenge myself pretty well (visualize peculiar old lady panting and grunting audibly while pumping iron, ugh! not pretty), so there you go.

Sounds reasonable. Still, I am good at procrastinating (maybe I should add that to the other thread). Anyway, for me sometimes it is better to aim for 4 times a week just to end up getting in 2-3 times per week.

Thanks, W2R. I could not think of anything that I am really good at, but you solved the problem. I am very good at procrastinating!

I used to lift 3-4 X a week. Then I came up north to eldercare and all that went down the tubes. Now I want to start up again after I move from here, and will do it. I really love lifting weights for some reason I don't even understand.
However, in the interim, I wear swim "gloves" that are gloves with webbed fingers (swimoutlet.com) which add resistance in the water when I swim 3X a week, and that has had to do it for the past few years. And, yes, it really has made a difference in my arm strength alot...so I'm doing something (just not using free weights).

To the original question: Yes, I find I have to use the swim gloves and the weights on my ankles when I water jog and swim in order to add resistance, thus, building up strength in my arms and legs. If I didn't do that, going up stairs would really be much harder than it is now I'm sure. 'Ya get old and you use it or lose it for sure.

In addition to the above, older folks require longer to recover from a weight lifting session. You should at least skip a day between lifting, and maybe more ideally, skip two days. In effect, this may leave you only 2x/week. Personally I find it easier to schedule 2 weekday(usually Tuesday and Friday) mornings.

Most of my weight lifting is for upper body, I presume the elliptical/cardio I do is sufficient for the legs. Not sure if that's totally true or not, but it seems to be.

In addition to the above, older folks require longer to recover from a weight lifting session. You should at least skip a day between lifting, and maybe more ideally, skip two days. In effect, this may leave you only 2x/week. Personally I find it easier to schedule 2 weekday(usually Tuesday and Friday) mornings.

Most of my weight lifting is for upper body, I presume the elliptical/cardio I do is sufficient for the legs. Not sure if that's totally true or not, but it seems to be.

I'm not an expert but I do weight training on lower body in equal measure to upper body, plus I do eliptical trainer and outside cycling. As we grow older I think lower body exercises increase in importance.

Here is an article from April this year.

Fitness: Working out your lower body and the Importance of Lower Body Strenght - Boomer Body Fitness

The importance of working out your lower body after a certain age becomes more imperative (you know what happens when you break that hip). Lower body training is ideal for older Baby Boomers who are at risk of serious injury from falling and bone fractures. It improves overall balance, which means greater confidence in daily activities and a lessened likelihood of falling down. Furthermore, studies showed elderly individuals with greater leg strength showed markedly improved mobility. Those with better muscle strength also showed decreased knee and hip injuries.

Good points Alan. I like the list of exercises too. I should probably do some of those - the weight lifting aspect is different than elliptical and walking, although my legs are in pretty good shape, at least compared to the rest of my body. :whistle: Thx.

Good points Alan. I like the list of exercises too. I should probably do some of those - the weight lifting aspect is different than elliptical and walking, although my legs are in pretty good shape, at least compared to the rest of my body. :whistle: Thx.

You're very welcome :greetings10:

Both sets of our parents had balance problems and difficulty walking when they got into their 70's, in fact FIL is in hospital at present 'cos his legs keep collapsing under him - he is 85, has always been slim, and is still very active mentally. His planned trip to Cornwall this month is now cancelled and his trip to Canada where we will be meeting him in September is now in doubt.

Back
Top Bottom