Blood Flow Restriction Training for treating Sarcopenia.

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sarcopenia is the loss of muscle mass as you age, and it can happen quite dramatically mid 70s and on.

I’ve been reading Robert Lustig’s book Metabolical. I ran across a casual mention of a treatment for Sarcopenia which involves restricting oxygen flow to the muscles and being able to use lighter weights to great benefit. I’d never heard of this.

“As people advance into their seventies, they can lose half their muscle mass, which renders them frail and susceptible to falling and fracture. To treat this, exercise physiologists have started putting tight bands around the patient’s arms and legs with low-intensity resistance and endurance training. Lo and behold, muscles increase in mass and strength—because depriving muscle cells of oxygen switched them from burning to growing.”

Excerpt From
Metabolical
Robert H. Lustig
https://books.apple.com/us/book/metabolical/id1526283745
This material may be protected by copyright.

Took a while searching, but I finally found an article about it. It’s called Blood Flow Restriction Training. But this article does not mention treating Sarcopenia.
https://www.shape.com/fitness/tips/blood-flow-restriction-training

Have you ever heart of this type of resistance training? Or this type of treatment for Sarcopenia?

It appears to be an alternative to high intensity interval training that body builders might do. For someone frail, HIIT or using very heavy weights is pretty much off the table.

Sounds fascinating as a treatment.

Last edited:
Does it really reduce oxygen to muscles or actually improve blood flow which can help alleviate swelling and muscle aches? I am thinking about what compression socks do.

This is interesting to me in that it might align with something I considered kind of BS. It might be completely different, but seems related, so I'll mention it....

There's a breathing/exercise technique where you do some deep breathing and breath holding, then do exercise to failure while holding your breath. They said (which I questioned) it was more effective than just doing the exercise. I think they mention that lactic acid that builds up, is altered by the difference in dissolved gases, so might be completely unrelated.

Last edited:
The Lustig book goes on to explain how muscle stress/strengthening while oxygen deprived stimulates muscle growth. This was an aside to explaining some of the metabolic pathways (biochemistry) and this application of physical therapy while restricting oxygen to the muscles was mentioned.

Lactic acid buildup does indicate burning energy in absence of oxygen i.e. anaerobic.

Last edited:
Does it really reduce oxygen to muscles or actually improve blood flow which can help alleviate swelling and muscle aches? I am thinking about what compression socks do.
This technique builds more muscle with light weights. The article explains it.

Thanks!

Lustig's description physical therapists were applying it with elderly patients, so that was clearly supervised.

Last edited:
Sarcopenia is a serious problem for the elderly or even someone stuck in a bed for long periods of time, so anything that helps that warrants consideration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom