Arthritic hip - Your Experiences?

Congrats on your new hip!

My friends who've had the surgery have been delighted (after they get thru the PT. :()

omni

DW just had a knee replacement this past week. Those in the PT class with knee replacements were in much more pain than those with hip replacements.

DW just had a knee replacement this past week. Those in the PT class with knee replacements were in much more pain than those with hip replacements.

I had in-home PT today. No real pain, just a little discomfort :dance:.

Maybe it gets worse, but so far this is MUCH less painful than I was expecting.

I do have an "Aqua cell" bandage covering the incision. I'm starting to think the most pain I may have is when that baby comes off.:D

I had in-home PT today. No real pain, just a little discomfort :dance:.

Maybe it gets worse, but so far this is MUCH less painful than I was expecting.

I do have an "Aqua cell" bandage covering the incision. I'm starting to think the most pain I may have is when that baby comes off.:D

I had the anterior procedure about 6 years ago in Houston. In ten days I was driving and walking with little discomfort. Wonderful procedure to get a new hip!

Good luck!!:)

I had the anterior procedure about 6 years ago in Houston. In ten days I was driving and walking with little discomfort. Wonderful procedure to get a new hip!

Good luck!!:)

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The anterior procedure is still fairly new in my area (about 10% of all hip replacements according to the PT), so I am still being warned about longer recovery times. Fortunately, my surgeon was one of the first to to use this procedure in this area, so he has about 5 years of experience with it.

At this point my biggest issue is the constipation related to the pain killer (Percocet). With so little pain, I have already started weaning off of these.

UPDATE:

A little over 2 weeks after surgery. I am able to get around with a cane, but the walker is more secure when I am tired. Pain is fairly modest, and I am down to 2-3 Percocet/day. Intend to be off of these within a week. All in all, I feel pretty good!

The EOB's have started to come in. Costs to date (in round numbers):

Billed amount: $45,000
Approved amount: $31,000
My Out of Pocket: $4,000

I have hit my deductible and Max OOP, so all future charges this year should be 100% covered.

I think the above numbers cover all the costs from the hospital and doctors, though there could be a few charges still pending. No surprises with out of network contractors, everything was in network.

Costs to date do not include in-home nurse and PT for the first 2 weeks, or on going out patient PT.

Glad to hear that things are going so smoothly for you.

Back
Top Bottom