Hip Replacement?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
A few years back after some nagging pain in her left hip my wife was x-rayed and told that "sometime down the road" at a time of her choice, she would need a hip replacement. Lately, the pain has grown more frequent and higher intensity and we guess it is about that time. Has anyone had hip relacement and can share their experiences such as recovery time, final outcome, physical theray necessary? Any insight appreciated.

I have a friend that has had both done. He was 62 and just had one done last year at 64. He had this last one done on a Friday and Sunday he was doing things I was surprised that he could be.
I have known a lot of people that have them done and they recovered fast. My mother at age 88 recovered and really wasn't down very long. PT was part of the program, but she was up and doing what she did in life after a few days.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I was told I will need one within 10 years. Ive seen many folks that are up and walking the next day, but still need recovery time and PT. The biggest complaint they have is why they didn't get it done sooner.

Just make sure she has a firm diagnosis, MRI, etc. An xray is not sufficient, as it could be arthritis or other things. Find with a good orthopedic surgeon. That said, if she needs it, she should be working on her strength now and getting ready to do a lot of PT afterwards for a good recovery.

ETA: the "down the road" was not an accurate predictor, it's possible, maybe probably, but not determined. I would not assume that the replacement is imminent. Just go to a good ortho doc, listing symptoms, and have them tell you the best route. Too often these threads are "i have this pain so that means major surgery" and there are so many other possibilities in between.

Last edited:
It used to be major, but I have at least half a dozen friends with artificial hips and they are happy with them. The last couple were home from the hospital the day after surgery and haven't had any complications. I think many places will have you in and out all in the same day now.

I will also second Aerides' recommendation about finding the right person.

I saw a very well recommended orthopedic surgeon about my hip pain in 2015, and after X-rays and an MRI he said I was "on track for a hip replacement, sooner rather than later." But that was nine years ago and I'm still not ready for it. Since that surgery was practically all he did, he tended to see it as appropriate for everyone. :(

Two of my cousins have had hip replacements. Both sought out good surgeons, and both hip replacements were successful.

My female cousin was older, and her surgery was preceded and followed by PT with a good therapist. Her recovery was initially painful but after a few months her walking was much improved and she was glad she had the surgery.

I third Aerides recommendations.

I have a friend (male) that had his done at 49.

It is pretty amazing what they can do. You are up walking the same day.

They cut to avoid muscles. It takes time for the bone to merge with the new joint, but I think it is worth it. Especially if the pain is constant.

Friend had a hard time walking. It has been 8-9 months and he is pretty much able to do everything except full running. Which he probably can do, but is choosing not to.

Not first hand experience, but the process seemed very doable.

I would add that my neighbor across the street had his done at age 80 and was walking everywhere the next week and back to playing tennis within the month.

Wow hip replacement must be a lot easier than knee replacement. DH just had his second knee replaced this week and is in rehab here at our CCRC. He fully expects it to be at least 6 weeks to 2 months or longer before he can resume most activities.

My mother had a hip replacement in her late 80's and a partial replacement in her 90's. She also had both knees replaced. As I recall, the hips were quite straightforward except the first developed an infection which was luckily treated using antibiotics and didn't require removal of the new hip.

Had mine done 7 years ago, so I will add a few comments:

- onset can be a long time or sudden. In my case I went from no issue to replacement in 6-7 months.
- sometimes an x-ray suffices for diagnosis. In my case even I could tell the bad hip was bone on bone, while the good one still had plenty of cartilage.
- Initial pain (after diagnosis) was treated with Naproxen. Doc said "you will know when it is time". When I could not get in or out of the car without being in agony, it was time.
- I had the anterior surgery (cut on the front of the hip). Benefits are fewer muscles cut, quicker recovery, less likely to dislocate even right after surgery. One down side is possible numbness (more nerves are cut) that may never go away. I do have this, but it is not a big deal.
- I was up and walking with a walker the same day. 2 nights in hospital, which is probably unusual now.
- she will be prescribed pain meds, usually an opioid. Have her take the meds ahead of the pain. Don't let her try to "do without" or "wait til it hurts".
- that said, I weaned off the meds within a week.
- PT is essential
- since I had the right hip done, I was told not to drive for a while (3-4 weeks?)

Bottom line: recovery was really not long and the improvement in mobility and lack of pain was monumental.

Wife having her hip replaced next month and did quite a bit of research and saw multiple surgeons. She decided to go with a surgeon who did an anterior rather than a posterior procedure. Apparently, the incision is between the muscle with anterior rather than through the muscle with posterior so it results in an easier/quicker recovery for the patient although most doctors are trained only on the posterior so that's what they recommend. I suggest finding a surgeon that uses the anterior approach. Good luck.

Wife having her hip replaced next month and did quite a bit of research and saw multiple surgeons. She decided to go with a surgeon who did an anterior rather than a posterior procedure. Apparently, the incision is between the muscle with anterior rather than through the muscle with posterior so it results in an easier/quicker recovery for the patient although most doctors are trained only on the posterior so that's what they recommend. I suggest finding a surgeon that uses the anterior approach. Good luck.

Yes, there is no question about that. The older posterior procedure cuts through a lot of muscle and needs a lot of recovery time.
The newer anterior cuts in between the muscles and can get you out and walking in hours.

Most people have very good results from total hip replacement but not everyone. I had mine done 6 years ago at age 38 and I still have chronic pain and reduced mobility. I can't be sure but I think my bad recovery was due to going back to work and doing too much too soon. Give plenty of time to heal. Physical therapy can wait until your muscles and other soft tissue have healed. After 6 years I have to use a cane if I walk too much due to the pain. OTC pain meds are not enough. I had the anterior approach by the way. Good results are not guaranteed. I have nerve damage and chronic pain despite the "less invasive" surgery.

Back
Top Bottom