Aspirin

Adults aged 50 to 59 who have at least a 10 percent risk of having a heart attack or stroke in the next decade can benefit the most from taking 81 milligrams of aspirin a day, according to the new guidelines.

Less than 50 years old, don't need it.
Greater than 60 years old, risk of bleeding outweighs the benefit of aspirin.

" over 40% of adults over 50 take aspirin for a preventive"

Really, that many?

the jury is still out on whether this approach makes sense for people under
50 or over 70, the Task Force concluded.

Thanks for the link to the interesting article. I have been taking 81mg aspirin for a few years, but am now over age 70. I will take it up with my MD next visit if I should continue. Because I am a military retiree, I receive it at to cost.

My doctor has recommended it for decades, but every time I tried it I immediately became subject to frequent nosebleeds. The annoyance factor won out, so I've never taken aspirin for more than a few days at a time, and not at all since I turned 60.

I'm 64, my dad died of a heart attack at 65, my mother had a heart attack and small stroke in her 80's, I have a history of colon polyps and a cousin who died of colon cancer. I've been taking a baby aspirin for many years in agreement with my doctor, have never had bleeding issues and plan to continue to take it until clear evidence is presented that the benefit to me does not warrant taking it.

Some new information about healthcare and aspirin.

I would give a quick recap on the article content, but will let you judge for yourself the intent, and suggestions for action.

Aspirin Guidelines: Some Should Take It to Prevent Heart Attack - NBC News

After you read the article, try to explain the meaning to anoter person. :angel:

The article doesn't talk much about the cancer prevention aspects of daily low-dose aspirin, but they appear to be significant and not limited to colorectal cancer as mentioned in the article. More at this previous discussion. I've been taking low-dose aspirin for a few years without any issues, I think it makes sense for me.

Over the last 20 years my Platelets have dropped to where they are boarder line too low. I stopped taking vitamin E, fish oil and the baby aspirin.

My doctor has recommended it for decades, but every time I tried it I immediately became subject to frequent nosebleeds. The annoyance factor won out, so I've never taken aspirin for more than a few days at a time, and not at all since I turned 60.
I had the same experience with low dose aspirin. I have a slow clotting time, and this made it worse

Been taking 81mg of aspirin with no ill effects for years - and hopefully some positive effects. Started taking the rat poison Warfarin a year or so ago - now that will give one new and exciting bleeding/bruising issues. Maybe I'll inquire on the aspirin when next I see the MD.

I love it.

"For physicians and researchers, the mystery of statins is another puzzler and a reminder that even the most cherished medical hypotheses may not stand up to intense scrutiny. Challenging assumptions is how medicine advances, how treatment improves.

For the pharmaceutical companies, the latest research means a trip back to the drawing board to develop new medicines to treat heart disease, especially for those patients who cannot tolerate statins.

And for patients? The essentials to avoid heart disease remain the same — eat a healthy diet, exercise often, avoid tobacco, stay trim and keep your blood pressure under control.:"

We don't know how these miracle drugs we accidentally discovered really work, or science is wrong. If you need to take them and can't you should consider diet and exercise. That explains a lot when you think about how people act.

Perhaps 81mg is too high a dose. Why not a 40 or 25mg version? But of course then I may not even see the pill to take it.

My doc has me taking a baby aspirin every other day. I read a British paper that recommended this especially for older adults. I always take it with my breakfast, not without food and drink.

This statement struck me:

At least one in 10 people taking aspirin don't need it, recent research suggests.

Well that means that 9 out of 10 taking asprin do need it?

It seems they chose to report a positive in a negative way.

This statement struck me:

At least one in 10 people taking aspirin don't need it, recent research suggests.

Well that means that 9 out of 10 taking asprin do need it?

It seems they chose to report a positive in a negative way.
Media folks aren't known for their math skills.

My doc has me taking a baby aspirin every other day. I read a British paper that recommended this especially for older adults. I always take it with my breakfast, not without food and drink.
That's a good way to cut dosage. Thanks. I'll take it up - if I can remember.

Back
Top Bottom