Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
She's 66 and she and my father (70) are slowing down a bit...although both still work - they both teach at universities and she does clinical work once a week - sigh, the whole idea of early retirement to them is anathema - my Dad said his mind would go to mush....
They have no reason to stop working, let alone any incentive...

I think I'd be a bit chagrined if one of my new students came up to me and gushed "Grandma says you were the best teacher she ever had!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
They have no reason to stop working, let alone any incentive...

I think I'd be a bit chagrined if one of my new students came up to me and gushed "Grandma says you were the best teacher she ever had!!"
Even more off-topic:

Last time I was out there, I was sitting with my Dad waiting for the local BBQ place to get our orders ready to go....Dad made some comment about how if he died then or even much later, I would be a wealthy 'young lady.' Huh?!? I've been told I'm the executor (after his wife, my step mom), but not much else.....one other time he told me what he had invested in and I said "What the " It's scary to think I'm more savvy financially than them, but then I don't think he's all that interested - I offered to look at things for them, but their attitude is one of "MYOB." That's fine. If they keep working, then finances won't be the issue....Oh, and I told him to spend his money, I'm doing just fine, thank you.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did it again. Was at the dermatologist's office, rolled over while lying on a table, and BAM! Pain was level 10 again, and back to the ER, yes again. After about 90 minutes, pain went down to about 7, then they finally gave me a couple of shots and sent me home. I thought I was being careful, too. I called my flight surgeon, who is a reservist, but in the real world has his own practice in pain management. He still recommends going for the conservative, non-surgical treatment. He says surgery is a crapshoot, and only about 30% successful. Another neurosurgeon says herniated discs heal themselves up about 80% of the time, but it can take a long time.

Well, at age 38, I have successfully proven that I'm not Superman.

Sorry if I appear to be threadjacking, but this helps me to keep a log to track my ups and downs. And I most certainly appreciate everyone else's input.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I did it again. Was at the dermatologist's office, rolled over while lying on a table, and BAM! Pain was level 10 again, and back to the ER, yes again. After about 90 minutes, pain went down to about 7, then they finally gave me a couple of shots and sent me home. I thought I was being careful, too. I called my flight surgeon, who is a reservist, but in the real world has his own practice in pain management. He still recommends going for the conservative, non-surgical treatment. He says surgery is a crapshoot, and only about 30% successful. Another neurosurgeon says herniated discs heal themselves up about 80% of the time, but it can take a long time.

Well, at age 38, I have successfully proven that I'm not Superman.

Sorry if I appear to be threadjacking, but this helps me to keep a log to track my ups and downs. And I most certainly appreciate everyone else's input.
I am sorry that you are hurting.

Every case and every person is different- but a close friend has been scheduled for his fifth back surgery. The good news is that they have not yet crippled or killed him; the bad news is that he gets only about 6 weeks of relief from each surgery.

Ha
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Today, while recovering from my bike crash injuries, I was moving a 10 lb weight and strained my back. Not too bad but sheesh.

I mention it because maybe it happened because I missed 3 weight training sessions due to the big bike trip.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today, while recovering from my bike crash injuries, I was moving a 10 lb weight and strained my back. Not too bad but sheesh.
I mention it because maybe it happened because I missed 3 weight training sessions due to the big bike trip.
Or maybe it happened because every single freakin' muscle in your body underwent a rapid deceleration last weekend, with some of those muscles providing the decelerating friction while others applied rotational force to the rest of your organs!

Just for fun, sometime you might want to take a garage-sale used bike helmet and try to crack it in the same place yours was cracked. It's probably a good idea not to do this where Lena could see it. If you haven't done this exercise before then you'll be unhappily impressed with the results.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Good point.

Today I'm reminded once again to never ever take for granted the ability to go for a walk or just have all your body parts working.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Much better week for me. What seems to be working the best is using the McKenzie method. McKenzie is a physical therapist from NZ who is quite highly regarded in his field. If anyone here with back pain or related problems has not ordered one of his books, I strongly recommend it. At a minimum, ask your healthcare provider about McKenzie. Pretty much what I do is some simple stretching exercises. When done EXACTLY as directed, they have diminished most of my issues, including ALL of the pain. Currently I just have some weakness in my rt calf muscle, a slight limp, and sometimes a mild tingly sensation in my rt foot.

I have all the patience of someone in my generation (i.e., almost none), so I tend to push things, and I have to be reminded by my physical therapist and others to take it slow. Healing your spine takes time, since the blood supply is minimal.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Healing your spine takes time, since the blood supply is minimal.
I'm glad it's going better, because I've been holding on to this one for a few weeks!

A couple promotions should take care of that spinal issue:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Broadside promotion surgeries.gif (35.2 KB, 65 views)

Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My back strain was worse than I thought. Combined with my bruised thigh, bending down is an issue.

Here's an observation about back pain. My bruised thigh hurts, but it's just pain, and you can just live with it. But with the back pain, there's always the threat that if you move wrong, it will go into spasm and make everything worse. You get those twinges to remind you of that.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm glad it's going better, because I've been holding on to this one for a few weeks!

A couple promotions should take care of that spinal issue:
When do they get the nut-e-ctomy?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My back strain was worse than I thought. Combined with my bruised thigh, bending down is an issue.

Here's an observation about back pain. My bruised thigh hurts, but it's just pain, and you can just live with it. But with the back pain, there's always the threat that if you move wrong, it will go into spasm and make everything worse. You get those twinges to remind you of that.
That's been my experience also. It isn't the pain, it's this involuntary tensing up due to this perceived threat of a reaction from a 'wrong move' (people use the word 'spasm', that word doesn't seem to match what I feel, but maybe it's the same thing - just the threat that everything is going to tighten up and get worse). The constant tension seems to make things worse, and it makes me very tired. So after a while, I have to lie down to relax my back, but w/o movement, it gets stiff. Seems like a constant battle until it eventually 'heals'.

Occasionally, some ibuprofin will work wonders. It seems to allow me to relax, and then the tension goes away, and everything loosens up and improves. Like a positive feedback loop. But other times, the ibuprofin does nothing.

The last couple times it's been triggered by a combination of overall stress on the back (digging in the garden, but being careful to not over-do it), followed by something stupid (lifting a heavy thing down at floor level a few days later). Other times it's been triggered by seemingly nothing - reaching up to hang Christmas lights, throwing a tissue in the garbage - not even a weird twisty motion. Very frustrating.

It's so random it is hard to tie causes/cures to it, but it is my impression that some simple exercises to keep the muscles in good shape helps. Crunches, stretches etc.

The twinges are scary - every time I get one I'm afraid I'm going to back in really bad shape for another 3 or 4 days. And you can get a twinge from just about anything, getting out of a chair, turning to put a plate in the dishwasher, etc. It really wears on you.

Nothing you don't already know, just commiserating I guess. Hope you feel better soon.

-ERD50