Back Pain

I'm glad it's going better, because I've been holding on to this one for a few weeks!

A couple promotions should take care of that spinal issue:

:D When do they get the nut-e-ctomy?

My back strain was worse than I thought. Combined with my bruised thigh, bending down is an issue.

Here's an observation about back pain. My bruised thigh hurts, but it's just pain, and you can just live with it. But with the back pain, there's always the threat that if you move wrong, it will go into spasm and make everything worse. You get those twinges to remind you of that.

That's been my experience also. It isn't the pain, it's this involuntary tensing up due to this perceived threat of a reaction from a 'wrong move' (people use the word 'spasm', that word doesn't seem to match what I feel, but maybe it's the same thing - just the threat that everything is going to tighten up and get worse). The constant tension seems to make things worse, and it makes me very tired. So after a while, I have to lie down to relax my back, but w/o movement, it gets stiff. Seems like a constant battle until it eventually 'heals'.

Occasionally, some ibuprofin will work wonders. It seems to allow me to relax, and then the tension goes away, and everything loosens up and improves. Like a positive feedback loop. But other times, the ibuprofin does nothing.

The last couple times it's been triggered by a combination of overall stress on the back (digging in the garden, but being careful to not over-do it), followed by something stupid (lifting a heavy thing down at floor level a few days later). Other times it's been triggered by seemingly nothing - reaching up to hang Christmas lights, throwing a tissue in the garbage - not even a weird twisty motion. Very frustrating.

It's so random it is hard to tie causes/cures to it, but it is my impression that some simple exercises to keep the muscles in good shape helps. Crunches, stretches etc.

The twinges are scary - every time I get one I'm afraid I'm going to back in really bad shape for another 3 or 4 days. And you can get a twinge from just about anything, getting out of a chair, turning to put a plate in the dishwasher, etc. It really wears on you.

Nothing you don't already know, just commiserating I guess. Hope you feel better soon.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom