Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I get cancer insurance for $7 a week. I have a friend who also has the same policy and has used it. It paid him a lot of money. For $365 a year I see it as a no brainer. I belong to a group also and cannot be canceled as long as I am in the group. trig

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My opinion of cancer insurance - the only insurance company I currently invest in is AFLAC, a major provider of cancer insurance, which has a very high and consistent profit margin. This would tell me all I need to know about its value to consumers.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

"My opinion of cancer insurance - the only insurance company I currently invest in is AFLAC, a major provider of cancer insurance, which has a very high and consistent profit margin. This would tell me all I need to know about its value to consumers"

My wife bought an AFLAC cancer policy thru her employer about 20 years ago for aprox $25 a month for family coverage (it has raised to $37 a month now) when a friend died of Breast cancer. When I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer 8 years ago she forgot that she had family coverage , thinking that she had just coverd herself. A year after my initial treatment (six months past the maximum amount of time to file a claim) she became aware that we had family coverage. We called AFLAC and they advised us to file a claim and explain the reason for the late filing. Within weeks we received a check for $9000.00, and a very nice letter from the president of the company. Two years ago I had to go for another round of radiation therapy and received another check for over $6000.00 (twice the amount that I expected to receive). Our "older"policy stated that we would receive a lessor amount on the recurrence of the disease, but newer policies pay a higher amount. We received the higher amount, although they could have clearly given us the lesser amount. I highly reccomend AFLAC, and if they are profitable as a company, it is not because they are cheating their customers.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

BLuescat, what other health insurance were you carrying, and why did they not pay some or all of the charges that your cancer insurance picked up? Were they deductibles and co-pays mostly? Do you know what the AFLAC premiums were, ball park?

Just curious.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
BLuescat, what other health insurance were you carrying, and why did they not pay some or all of the charges that your cancer insurance picked up? Were they deductibles and co-pays mostly? Do you know what the AFLAC premiums were, ball park?

Just curious.
I don't have AFLAC but my cancer policy pays me, not the doctor or hospital. It pays whether my health insurance paid anything or not. When this policy was sold to my company, the selling point was to consider it as a plan that would help give you extra income during a period when you may not be able to work due to cancer. And of course if you had other out of pocket cost due to the disease.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I kept it when I retired because I do have a high deductible health policy and I have a better than average chance of getting cancer due our family history. I can understand the argument for not having one of these policies though.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Shoe, I would check carefully to see what else this policy doesn't cover. You might not be getting much with the policy.

I would work with an independent agent/broker to see if there is any plan you can buy. If you are not insurable, I would also look at HIPAA options in your state. Health Insurance and Coverage Help for Consumers Everywhere.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

"BLuescat, what other health insurance were you carrying, and why did they not pay some or all of the charges that your cancer insurance picked up? Were they deductibles and co-pays mostly? Do you know what the AFLAC premiums were, ball park?"

I haveBC/BS and they pay 90% minus my deductable. AFLAC paid me directly. I would have to look up exactly what the benefits were, but some of it was a daily rate for my radiation therapy, a one time payment of $25 X the number of months the policy was in force, a payment for chemo injections, a drug and medicine benefit, a lab and diagnostic benefit, a hospital confinement benefit, anesthesia benefit, and possibly a couple others. As I said the family coverage was right at $25 a month for a long time but has risen to about $37 a month now.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescat View Post
"BLuescat, what other health insurance were you carrying, and why did they not pay some or all of the charges that your cancer insurance picked up? Were they deductibles and co-pays mostly? Do you know what the AFLAC premiums were, ball park?"

I haveBC/BS and they pay 90% minus my deductable. AFLAC paid me directly. I would have to look up exactly what the benefits were, but some of it was a daily rate for my radiation therapy, a one time payment of $25 X the number of months the policy was in force, a payment for chemo injections, a drug and medicine benefit, a lab and diagnostic benefit, a hospital confinement benefit, anesthesia benefit, and possibly a couple others. As I said the family coverage was right at $25 a month for a long time but has risen to about $37 a month now.
So some of the benefits you received from AFLAC went to compensate you for services already covered in whole or in part by BCBS.

It's a nice benefit for you, but might not be what others are looking for in a health insurance policy, except in covering true expenses not covered by BCBS, such as deductibles, etc. Do I have that right?

Glad for you that you got paid with no hassle.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
So some of the benefits you received from AFLAC went to compensate you for services already covered in whole or in part by BCBS.

It's a nice benefit for you, but might not be what others are looking for in a health insurance policy, except in covering true expenses not covered by BCBS, such as deductibles, etc. Do I have that right?

Glad for you that you got paid with no hassle.
Yes, you are right, thats why I did not chime in earlier and recomend this type of policy. What I recomend is "AFLAC" to someone looking for this type of policy. I doubt I could have had a better experience with another company.