Cataract Surgery

My mom had spider webs all over, mostly outside, before her cataract surgery. She couldn't see them! After her surgery things are back to spotless. All the eyedrops was her only complaint.

I had cataract surgery fairly early at 52. My vision had steadily declined since about 45. With too much light, I was in a haze. Probably should not have been driving. I couldn't read signs at all. Afterward, it's like a new set of eyes. Absolutely amazing. So glad I didn't wait any longer.

I had to wait 2 weeks between eyes, which was interesting. To see at a distance, I had to pop one lens out of my old glasses for the eye that had surgery. For reading, I had to pop one lens out of a pair of reading glasses for the eye that did not have surgery yet. That was weird.

The procedure was very smooth. The second time I was a little more aware of what was going on during the surgery. Afterward, they told me I was fidgety, which caused some difficulty. I did notice that eye was more sore for a day or two compared to the first.

I started the pre-surgery eyedrops today, and took your DH's advice. It's working out really well so far, and cost nothing. So, tell him "Thank you!" from me. :) Thanks!

I am so glad that I have this surgery scheduled soon. Maybe (probably) it is just my imagination, but it seems like my vision has gotten noticeably worse in the past six days since I scheduled it.

Also it is wonderful to have Frank right next door so that he can calm my fears in these pre-surgical days, and of course he plans to help me out in whatever ways I need afterwards.

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I don't know if you are imagining vision changes. Seems like I'm experiencing the same, perhaps we're able to admit to ourselves how poorly we were really seeing before? I was in different new buildings today, got lost in a drs. office and had no idea what I was seeing in the other place.

I had to wait 2 weeks between eyes, which was interesting. To see at a distance, I had to pop one lens out of my old glasses for the eye that had surgery. For reading, I had to pop one lens out of a pair of reading glasses for the eye that did not have surgery yet. That was weird.

I still haven't figured out how I am going to handle this. My surgeries are scheduled for only one week apart. Maybe I can do what you did, although I don't have any reading glasses yet because I don't know what strength I will need. I also don't even know for sure if I'll be able to see better or not, yet.

I will probably listen to the radio and to podcasts a lot during that week, to keep busy without eyestrain.

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I don't know if you are imagining vision changes. Seems like I'm experiencing the same, perhaps we're able to admit to ourselves how poorly we were really seeing before? I was in different new buildings today, got lost in a drs. office and had no idea what I was seeing in the other place.

That could very well be what I am experiencing. My surgery is in three days so after that I guess I'll know. This is all such unknown territory for me and naturally it is a little terrifying so I will be much relieved when it is over.

One positive discovery: The drops don't sting my eyes so far.

My mom had spider webs all over, mostly outside, before her cataract surgery. She couldn't see them! After her surgery things are back to spotless. All the eyedrops was her only complaint.

Oh fooey! It sounds like I'm going to have to clean my house again after the surgery. Right now I can't really see any dust or dirt. :LOL:

Even if they could do the implant a second time, I doubt that would qualify as medically necessary.......the cataract is different than a slight change in vision.

I am a bit confused with your response. I would say re-implant is not medically necessary just like the first implant is not medically necessary either (I imainge you can just wear glasses if needed.)

What I am trying to say is, some people get lenses with specific scripts implanted at the same time they get the cataract surgeries based on their current vision limitations and requirements. If the lenses do not work any more because your visions change, say, after a few years, is it possible to have the implants replaced with new lenses/new prescriptions, or you can only get the implants once (maybe there is huge risk in removing implants, like they get imbedded too deep after a while and add the new ones on or whatever) and you have to live with the same prescription the rest of your life (and maybe add a pair of glasses to compensate if necessary)? It's not as easy or simple as putting contacts on your eyes each morning, you know; hence the question.

Last edited:
Oh fooey! It sounds like I'm going to have to clean my house again after the surgery. Right now I can't really see any dust or dirt. :LOL:

I have an aunt who was so shocked and embarrassed to see all the dust in her house after the cataract surgery, so if you are a neat person to start with, you might feel the same way :LOL:

I am 56 and so far, my eye doctor said I would need the surgery eventually, but not yet. Even at my age, when I get my eye exam done each year, my prescription changes a little. I always wonder what happens if your vision changes after lenses are implanted? Do they replace the lenses (it is painful for me even just to imagine implanted lenses taken out and replaced) or they figure you are pretty old already by the time you get your cataract surgeries done that they figure you won't need any new prescription lenses implanted, or maybe they can only do the implant once, and that you are stuck with the initial prescription for the rest of your life?

After my cataract surgery last year, my eye doctor told me that my vision will be stable. It is possible to have Lasik to "touch up" your vision if the implants don't correct your vision adequately. You can also wear glasses or contacts in that situation.

When I was researching cataract surgery, I got the impression that while it is possible to remove an implant and replace it, this is only done as a last resort.

I am a bit confused with your response. I would say re-implant is not medically necessary just like the first implant is not medically necessary either (I imainge you can just wear glasses if needed.)

My impression is that you can tame initial stages of the cataract by changes in the prescription but after some point that becomes not so feasible because the obstruction/scattering caused by the cataract is too large. At that point I would say it is medically necessary to have the implant but perhaps not in the initial stages. Not a doc, just a patient.

My impression is that you can tame initial stages of the cataract by changes in the prescription but after some point that becomes not so feasible because the obstruction/scattering caused by the cataract is too large. At that point I would say it is medically necessary to have the implant but perhaps not in the initial stages. Not a doc, just a patient.

I'm a little bit confused by the exchange between Kaneohe and tmm99, but here are my thoughts in the hopes they may help.

For 67 years my eyes were correctable to 20:20 with glasses and this was true as recently as 2 years ago. My optometrist told me I had early cataracts 5-10 years ago, but it would have been insane to even think about surgery at that time without any significant visual impairment (I had no desire to drive at night anyway so didn't try that). He said that when I felt it had become a big enough problem, he would refer me to a good opthalmologist.

However, due to cataracts my eyes are now barely correctable to 20:35 with my new glasses. I can't see well enough to even walk very safely. Without surgery, my optometrist says that he doubts that I could now pass a driving test (with or without glasses).

He referred me to an ophthalmologist who said yes, the cataracts are the problem, and need to go. AFAIK my surgery is medically necessary and Medicare and my insurance will cover it.

Last edited:
I'm a little bit confused by the exchange between Kaneohe and tmm99, but here are my thoughts in the hopes they may help.

For 67 years my eyes were correctable to 20:20 with glasses and this was true as recently as 2 years ago. My optometrist told me I had early cataracts 5-10 years ago, but it would have been insane to even think about surgery at that time without any significant visual impairment (I had no desire to drive at night anyway so didn't try that). He said that when I felt it had become a big enough problem, he would refer me to a good opthalmologist.

However, due to cataracts my eyes are now barely correctable to 20:35 with my new glasses. I can't see well enough to even walk very safely. Without surgery, my optometrist says that he doubts that I could now pass a driving test (with or without glasses).

He referred me to an ophthalmologist who said yes, the cataracts are the problem, and need to go. AFAIK my surgery is medically necessary and Medicare and my insurance will cover it.

Thank you for your post and others trying to explain. I am starting to understand what my confusion was - I thought cataract surgeries removed cloudy substance on top of natural lenses and some people elected to get the natural lenses replaced with synthetic lenses with scripts at the same time. I didn't realize the lenses themselves were cloudy and needed to be replaced :facepalm:

Last edited:
Thank you for your post and others trying to explain. I am starting to understand what my confusion was - I thought cataract surgeries removed cloudy substance on top of natural lenses and some people elected to get the natural lenses replaced with synthetic lenses with scripts at the same time. I didn't realize the lenses themselves were cloudy and needed to be replaced :facepalm:

[-]I am a little hazy about this, but I think that in the old days, people would have the cataracts removed and then have to deal with thick "cataract glasses" instead.[/-] I don't really know what they used to do in the old days. But now, it seems to be taken for granted that the new synthetic lenses will be inserted in the eye, replacing the natural lenses which have become opaque cataracts.

Edited to add: here's a Wikipedia article with more than any of us would ever want to know about cataract surgery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_surgery

At least, it was more than I really wanted to read about it. :LOL:

Last edited:
After my cataract surgery last year, my eye doctor told me that my vision will be stable. It is possible to have Lasik to "touch up" your vision if the implants don't correct your vision adequately. You can also wear glasses or contacts in that situation.

When I was researching cataract surgery, I got the impression that while it is possible to remove an implant and replace it, this is only done as a last resort.
Thank you for your explanation. Good to know the options.

I had surgery on both eyes about two years ago. Well worth it, my eyes were -13 and -12.25 and now are 20:25.

Surgery was easy and painless.

The biggest issue I had was that I had a detached retina 8 months later which required additional surgery. Took a little longer but now I don't have any floaters in the eye. Make sure your eye doctors talks to you about it.

Also, you will need sunglasses because everything will seem bright. Good luck.

I had surgery on both eyes about two years ago. Well worth it, my eyes were -13 and -12.25 and now are 20:25.

Surgery was easy and painless.

The biggest issue I had was that I had a detached retina 8 months later which required additional surgery. Took a little longer but now I don't have any floaters in the eye. Make sure your eye doctors talks to you about it.

Also, you will need sunglasses because everything will seem bright. Good luck.

Thank you. I am worried about the possibility of a detached retina due to my cataract surgery, since that runs in my family. But, I am hoping for the best. I discussed it with my ophthalmologist. They will give me some thick sunglasses for free after the cataract surgery, but later I will probably get some more attractive ones. :D

My doc told me I had cataracts 3 years ago. I haven't noticed a decline in my vision other than having to wear glasses(wearing for years). But my vision is great wearing glasses. He said it may be years before I need cataract surgery. The thing I'm having to stay on top of is the possibility of glaucoma. He said one eye shows the signs of it developing. I've got to go in and take a special eye test in a couple of months, one where you see lights blinking on different areas of a page and you have to identify the blinking. I passed the test a year ago and hopefully will again. Not really looking forward to taking eye drops daily, but that is better than losing your vision. A small price to pay.

This is what those free sunglasses look like . They are pretty hideous !

Attachments

• 31mFLgNozAL.jpg
    31mFLgNozAL.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 141
Vanity at our ages? My doc had me wear the cage from the day of the operation (Thursday) to the after-op appointment (Monday). Now that thing, with the added tape, was pretty frightening at the restaurant.

Yes! I think that is exactly the kind they will give me. They will work on the way home, but you're right, they are sure ugly. :LOL:

I'm already looking at regular sunglasses online and there are so many cute ones available! :)

Oh, I don't know. Wear them with a fedora, and look like the local Mafia boss!

Vanity at our ages? My doc had me wear the cage from the day of the operation (Thursday) to the after-op appointment (Monday). Now that thing, with the added tape, was pretty frightening at the restaurant.

:ROFLMAO: Oh well, Hallowe'en's coming up, right? :2funny: Besides, we tip well. :D

Oh, I don't know. Wear them with a fedora, and look like the local Mafia boss!

:2funny: Between the shades, and the "insect eye/colander" eye patch, this should be an interesting experience. :)

Last edited:
DW's son at 47 will have cataract surgery the 29th. His SO has been driving him to w*rk for the past week and will continue to do so until that day.

DW's son at 47 will have cataract surgery the 29th. His SO has been driving him to w*rk for the past week and will continue to do so until that day.

That's great!

I can still drive, but probably shouldn't. In fact, I drove just today.

Just got a call from my ophthalmologist's office, and my internist STILL hasn't faxed them the permission form that I told his office needed to be signed and faxed ASAP, a week ago. Of course, my internist is in his other office today and my records aren't in that office, so I have to wait until tomorrow to even call. :facepalm: This is crazy.

Last edited:
I got a pair of those sunglasses for each surgery. Now I keep a pair in each of our cars' gloveboxes. One good thing about them is that they fit over regular glasses (that's why they are so spacious, I believe), so I could wear them over reading glasses to read on our deck.

Hope your docs get the referrals straightened out, W2R. Nothing is easy. My insurance company told the hospital I had no health coverage whatsoever up until the day before the surgery (of course I had health insurance, paid each month well in advance of the due date, never mind the grace period). Many many phone calls between me and Cobra, me and the insurance company, me and the hospital for two weeks. I had to remind myself of all the people who don't sweat these things. Try to be one of those people (even though I couldn't).

Back
Top Bottom