Cataract Surgery

W2R, all the very best for the upcoming surgery. We know lots of folks with great results from the surgery but neither of us is ready for it yet, although we have both been told this year at our eye exams that cataracts have started to form.

Reactions: W2R
Thank you! Wow, your experience sounds like a dream come true. 20/15? That must be heaven. :LOL: At least it would be for me.

Yup. Both eyes. It really is awesome, especially after being nearsighted since age 16. Even my eye doctor is impressed! :D:D

I still marvel at how good my vision is.

Last year we visited a friend in Australia and ever since we have known her she has always needed really thick glasses (back in England we were neighbors between 1979 and 1985). The last time we visited her in Australia in 1997 even the glasses couldn't cope with fine print so she had a magnifying glass for that.

She met us off the plane in Brisbane, an internal flight from MacKay, but we didn't know that non-ticketed folks can meet people right at the gate so as we walked off we didn't see her and would have walked past her had she not spoke up. (Broad Geordie Newcastle accent still at age 72). She was not wearing glasses and now had 20/20 vision. We were amazed and then flabbergasted when she said that the only surgery she had was the standard lens replacement, for cataracts, a few years earlier.

It's amazing what they can do now regarding eye surgery!

1998: Told I had the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes (age 48)
2001: Spontaneous retinal detachment in right eye, lost 80% of vision. Had retinal surgery two days later with "full buckle".....ie, they drained and inflated eyeball, used laser to tack weld retina back in place. Told that the laser will usually result in a worsening of cataract.
2002: Had cataract surgery in right eye. OMG, what a difference in the way world looked, could see great within two days! And could see 20/40 w/o glasses
2003: Had cataract surgery in left eye. 20/20 after surgery. Unfortunately, six months later I had a retinal tear in this eye. Doc decided, since I seemed to have a predisposition for retinal problems, to do a full buckle on this eye also. But vision in this eye dropped to 20/40 and it is not correctable. Considering that I started with like 20/300 vision.......all to good.

So had my eyes "re-built" when in early 50's age.
I had the buckle when I was 26 (hockey injury) then laser and cryogenic coagulation in the other eye. It has since been spot-welded with the laser. Then all the cataracts due to prior procedures.

Just curious- for those nearsighted people out there... What was your contact lens or eye glasses prescription before you had your surgery?
Mine is -8.50 and -7.50 and I am eagerly awaiting the time when I can qualify for the implantable contact lens and have insurance cover it...

a condition of apparent weightlessness such as that experienced in orbit or in free fall or my aunts inverse table! Causes blood flow to the brain that might result in amazing thoughts!

I was 20/200 in my :good: eye and 20/450 in the eye that had the detached retina.

I have nothing to add, except to wish you the best of luck, W2R.

Just curious- for those nearsighted people out there... What was your contact lens or eye glasses prescription before you had your surgery?
Mine is -8.50 and -7.50 and I am eagerly awaiting the time when I can qualify for the implantable contact lens and have insurance cover it...

Mine were in negative double digits by the time I had surgery. Although the purpose of surgery isn't intended to treat myopia, we Magoos are super thrilled with that aspect of it!

W2R - just wanted to wish you luck on the surgery. I have nothing to add to the conversation since I haven't had it done.

That's exactly what I was going to say, so I just quoted rodi!

-7.50 and -6.25 so it's a whole new world for folks like us.

I don't need cataract surgery yet - just getting into the "ouch, high beams at night hurt my eyes zone."

I am kind of dreading the need for cataract removal. I like my eyes the way they are. I'm -2.50 in the left and -2.00 in my right eye, wear bifocal contacts mostly for distance, and use readers for very fine print and very fine needlework. Presently, I can still read normal print and thread a regular sewing needle using my naked eyes and a good light. But the very fine work is my soul and my passion. Judging from census records and family legend, I come from a long line of people who like to peer very closely at tiny things (except the grandpa who was an insurance agent, and he probably had to read fine print!)

My fear is that after cataract surgery, I will no longer be able to focus for the very, very finest work, and will have to use those awful lighted magnifiers (or not even be able to do the work any more).

I don't need cataract surgery yet - just getting into the "ouch, high beams at night hurt my eyes zone."
I had to drive at night last year, and it went WAY beyond that for me. I couldn't see street signs, much less read them, couldn't recognize where I was, was confused by glare bouncing off everything, and felt like cars were whizzing about me unpredictably. It was really really scary for me and there was ZERO question in my mind (or Frank's) that I should never never never drive again at night with vision like that. That was the last time I drove at night. Now, it is scary for me to even be a passenger at night because of all the confusing glare and cars whizzing about that I mentioned. It's like being in a Star Wars battle. I hang on and cringe.

I think I waited longer for the surgery than most people. I didn't drive at night for at least 5 years before that time last year (which was sort of an emergency situation due to F's car breaking down).

I am kind of dreading the need for cataract removal. I like my eyes the way they are. I'm -2.50 in the left and -2.00 in my right eye, wear bifocal contacts mostly for distance, and use readers for very fine print and very fine needlework. Presently, I can still read normal print and thread a regular sewing needle using my naked eyes and a good light. But the very fine work is my soul and my passion. Judging from census records and family legend, I come from a long line of people who like to peer very closely at tiny things (except the grandpa who was an insurance agent, and he probably had to read fine print!)

My fear is that after cataract surgery, I will no longer be able to focus for the very, very finest work, and will have to use those awful lighted magnifiers (or not even be able to do the work any more).

I'm hoping to be able to do anything fine that I want to do, with just drugstore readers. My doctor didn't say if that was likely or not. We shall see. About ten years ago when I had contacts I didn't mind readers at all, and had a half a dozen scattered around the house.

If necessary, I'd rather use those lighted magnifiers than not see. Frank uses one to solder tiny things together when he is doing various ham radio related projects and it doesn't seem to bother him. His is a really cool, big one that he can use hands free.

More than anything, I am hoping to be able to walk and drive without glasses. I am not counting on that, but it would be amazing if that happens for me.

Last edited:
DH had is surgery Tuesday morning and he drove for the first time today. He told me that he can read the license plates on cars again and that the colors are vivid. He is well pleased and can't wait to have the other eye done. He goes back to the ophthalmologist 10/7 and we will ask if they have any earlier appts than 10/20 for the second eye.

Good luck with your surgery!

DH had is surgery Tuesday morning and he drove for the first time today. He told me that he can read the license plates on cars again and that the colors are vivid. He is well pleased and can't wait to have the other eye done. He goes back to the ophthalmologist 10/7 and we will ask if they have any earlier appts than 10/20 for the second eye.

Good luck with your surgery!

That's very encouraging! Thank you. :)

just curious- for those nearsighted people out there... What was your contact lens or eye glasses prescription before you had your surgery?
Mine is -8.50 and -7.50 and i am eagerly awaiting the time when i can qualify for the implantable contact lens and have insurance cover it...

-15.0 & -15.75 . Eyeball was so elongated that doc suggest general anesthesia which is not the usual procedure.

I had my cataract surgery about 6 years ago and consider it a miracle after being terribly nearsighted all my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

DH said to use your iphone timer.
I started the pre-surgery eyedrops today, and took your DH's advice. It's working out really well so far, and cost nothing. So, tell him "Thank you!" from me. :) Thanks!

I am so glad that I have this surgery scheduled soon. Maybe (probably) it is just my imagination, but it seems like my vision has gotten noticeably worse in the past six days since I scheduled it.

Also it is wonderful to have Frank right next door so that he can calm my fears in these pre-surgical days, and of course he plans to help me out in whatever ways I need afterwards.

Last edited:
Good luck!

Edit to add: this is the eye patch they used for me. If you get one similar, you could take a black sharpie, color the blue part black, then stick it over your eye and use it as part of a Halloween costume. "The Fly". :D

Attachments

• eye patch.jpg
    eye patch.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Good luck!

Edit to add: this is the eye patch they used for me. If you get one similar, you could take a black sharpie, color the blue part black, then stick it over your eye and use it as part of a Halloween costume. "The Fly". :D

:ROFLMAO: Amazing! That eyepatch looks gruesome enough already. :LOL: But I'll be glad to have something to put on it for protection when I'm sleeping and so on.

I am 56 and so far, my eye doctor said I would need the surgery eventually, but not yet. Even at my age, when I get my eye exam done each year, my prescription changes a little. I always wonder what happens if your vision changes after lenses are implanted? Do they replace the lenses (it is painful for me even just to imagine implanted lenses taken out and replaced) or they figure you are pretty old already by the time you get your cataract surgeries done that they figure you won't need any new prescription lenses implanted, or maybe they can only do the implant once, and that you are stuck with the initial prescription for the rest of your life?

I am 56 and so far, my eye doctor said I would need the surgery eventually, but not yet. Even at my age, when I get my eye exam done each year, my prescription changes a little. I always wonder what happens if your vision changes after lenses are implanted? Do they replace the lenses (it is painful for me even just to imagine implanted lenses taken out and replaced) or they figure you are pretty old already by the time you get your cataract surgeries done that they figure you won't need any new prescription lenses implanted, or maybe they can only do the implant once, and that you are stuck with the initial prescription for the rest of your life?

Even if they could do the implant a second time, I doubt that would qualify as medically necessary.......the cataract is different than a slight change in vision.

My vision began to change in my early 50's, every visit was a new prescription. At 57 the Dr said "cataracts", but also said to just change my prescription each year, and when new glasses didn't fix the problem it would be time to have them removed. At the time it sounded kind of lame, but later I realized it is the right approach. At 61 new glasses weren't good enough, so I had the cataracts removed. My first question to the Doc was if my vision would continue to deteriorate each year. His response was, aside from reading glasses, it should remain stable from now on.

Back
Top Bottom