Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Nice to see the good outcome...
DW had surgery w/o lens replacement about 7 years go... went well and vision definitely improved...
The one downside was a sensitivity to bright lights, which continues to today. Not debilitating, but sunglasses always at the ready. Might be a consideration to wait a bit before buying new sunglasses (amount of tint/darkening).

Three years ago, some clouding of the lens... not unusual, and fixed by simple laser surgery, a ten minute procedure.

More info here...
Nd:YAG Laser Posterior Capsulotomy for Cataracts
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Had my followup appt. this morning and all is well. Pressure is great as is vision, which I'm told will get even better during the next week or so as the swelling/inflammation subsides.

I was looking forward to picking up somewhat cheapo sunglasses, but that's not to be. I'm so impressed with the incredible vision I now have that nothing but the best optics for my sunglasses. I wasn't planning to spend around $300-$400 for the Maui Jim's which I'm told are the best. Tried some on at the optometrist's and I can tell the difference between those and the ones at Costco (Ray Ban's and similar). I'll do a bit more research and hope to find them cheaper elsewhere. Fortunately, I'm not one to lose, break or scratch my glasses and they last forever until I'm sick of them. Will pick up a cheapo pair or 2 for beach, yard work and the like.
Awesome!!! Guess i will have to check into the maui jim glasses
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #23

Quote:
I was looking forward to picking up somewhat cheapo sunglasses, but that's not to be. I'm so impressed with the incredible vision I now have that nothing but the best optics for my sunglasses.
My cataract ops were just over a year ago, and I felt the same way. I treated myself to a pair of Oakley sunglasses. I was lucky, since when I went into the Oakley store I found a pair I loved that was being closed out and cost about half the original price. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made -- a year later and I still love them.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Nice to see the good outcome...
DW had surgery w/o lens replacement about 7 years go... went well and vision definitely improved...
The one downside was a sensitivity to bright lights, which continues to today. Not debilitating, but sunglasses always at the ready. Might be a consideration to wait a bit before buying new sunglasses (amount of tint/darkening).

Three years ago, some clouding of the lens... not unusual, and fixed by simple laser surgery, a ten minute procedure.

More info here...
Nd:YAG Laser Posterior Capsulotomy for Cataracts
I had heard of this and will be on the lookout...thanks for the link.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Awesome!!! Guess i will have to check into the maui jim glasses
Yes, definitely. I'm going to wait a few weeks though, until things settle. But the difference between those and a couple of other brands I tried on were impressive.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My cataract ops were just over a year ago, and I felt the same way. I treated myself to a pair of Oakley sunglasses. I was lucky, since when I went into the Oakley store I found a pair I loved that was being closed out and cost about half the original price. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made -- a year later and I still love them.
Oakley was one of the brands the optician mentioned. I can't wait until things settle and I can go sunglasses shopping!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a very similar experience with my cataract removal and lens implants. No pain, no panic - easy-peasey. After a lifetime of dependence on either glasses or contacts, I'm 20/20 in one eye and close to 20/15 in the other.

Don't hesitate to have this procedure if you are a good candidate for it!
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Oakley was one of the brands the optician mentioned. I can't wait until things settle and I can go sunglasses shopping!
I just bought my first over the counter pair of sunglasses yesterday.. I'm into fishing, so I googled sunglass reviews for that purpose, but it looks like the reviews stand up to all uses since they talk about durability, kinds of tinting etc.. the article is here

Bought the Smith Chief pair, which was first on the list...pricey at $200, but a deal when you consider the many years ahead that I will NOT be buying prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #29

Quote:
I just bought my first over the counter pair of sunglasses yesterday.. I'm into fishing, so I googled sunglass reviews for that purpose, but it looks like the reviews stand up to all uses since they talk about durability, kinds of tinting etc.. the article is here

Bought the Smith Chief pair, which was first on the list...pricey at $200, but a deal when you consider the many years ahead that I will NOT be buying prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses.
Thanks for the link. Some of these would make a great pair of gardening glasses. They need to be on the cheap side though as they constantly fall off into the dirt or get poked by the shrubs!

I'm going to go shopping early next week. The ones I received after the surgery are driving me absolutely nuts as the lens distortion is unbelievable. I keep wanting to take them off even though it's nice and sunny outside.

Where do you find a good sized selection of good sunglasses to try on? Having worn only prescription sunglasses for 30+ years, I haven't a clue as to where to go for a good selection. A problem I have is that I need adjustable nose piece type glasses as the shape of my nose makes the other type too painful after wearing them for more than .5 hr or so.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #30

Any sporting goods store will have a big selection
Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished up successful cataract surgery in both eyes (second surgery was a month ago) and am having the relatively common problem of glare/streaking off of lights or even light/dark interfaces. Between what the surgeon said (capsule wrinkle) and what I've read online, there could be several causes but many times this resolve itself as the eye heals. It's a nuisance for night driving, but not so much that I can't try and wait it out before seeking a medical solution (probably the simple YAG laser treatment), so anyone have direct experience with this? One of my friends said it took almost a year before this faded away. Biggest pain right now is that my left eye had been mostly clear but in the last week some glare has returned, although not as bad as the other eye

Larry
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
gone traveling

I've been wanting to get rid of my glasses for a while, and go for a lens replacement, but figured I would wait until I get cataracts. I am curious as to what age most folks get cataracts? I'm 65 and still nothing showing up, although I have floaters in both eyes.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #33

at 61 the cataract in my right eye got aggressive and required 2 prescription changes within 8 months.. about 4 months later I had the surgery in both eyes. No regrets, except I wouldn't opt for the expensive multi-lens.. didn't work for me..still need readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've been wanting to get rid of my glasses for a while, and go for a lens replacement, but figured I would wait until I get cataracts. I am curious as to what age most folks get cataracts? I'm 65 and still nothing showing up, although I have floaters in both eyes.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had my cataracts removed at 54. Never thought I would consider myself "lucky" to have developed a condition like that relatively young!
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I found a couple of links for you, courtesy of Google.

"By the time you turn 65, chances are about 50-50 that you will have begun to develop a cataract,"
What to do about cataract

"By age 80, more than half of all Americans either have a cataract or have had cataract surgery." Cataracts, Facts About [NEI Health Information]

It sounds like some people never have to have cataract surgery at all. Maybe that will be the case for you?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
I just finished up successful cataract surgery in both eyes (second surgery was a month ago) and am having the relatively common problem of glare/streaking off of lights or even light/dark interfaces. Between what the surgeon said (capsule wrinkle) and what I've read online, there could be several causes but many times this resolve itself as the eye heals. It's a nuisance for night driving, but not so much that I can't try and wait it out before seeking a medical solution (probably the simple YAG laser treatment), so anyone have direct experience with this? One of my friends said it took almost a year before this faded away. Biggest pain right now is that my left eye had been mostly clear but in the last week some glare has returned, although not as bad as the other eye

Larry
That does sound like a nuisance! I have no experience with this (I have not had cataract surgery).

Maybe it's time for you to cut back on night driving, if possible.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I am 70 with no trace of cataracts, but with prescription glasses (very mild issues). My family had "good eyes" as Mom and Dad never had prescription glasses, just cheepo drug store reading ones. One sister, no glasses @60 and one at 65 with a mild prescription. I don't know of anyone in my family line that had a cataract. Could this be a hereditary factor?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #38

Quote:
at 61 the cataract in my right eye got aggressive and required 2 prescription changes within 8 months.. about 4 months later I had the surgery in both eyes. No regrets, except I wouldn't opt for the expensive multi-lens.. didn't work for me..still need readers.
This is what happened to me, but at a younger age, though not by much . Opted for a mono focal lens and now have monovision, which I love. No readers, only distance prescription sunglasses for driving. For some reason sunglasses cause degradation in my vision which is noticeable and somewhat annoying when I drive. I love being able to see the TV clearly and read at the same time w/o glasses.

The cataract in m left eye is so tiny that it's not affecting my vision. Doc says it could stay that way for years or could go the route of the right eye.

DH, late sixties has the beginnings of cataracts. His doc says it will be years before he needs surgery.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some medications have the side effect of causing cataracts such as asthma meds because of the steroids in them. I know 2 people with 2 different doctors many years apart that had one eye done & would not do the other due to not having good results. One of them has the feeling that something is in his eye all the time. Another could no longer drive at night once it was done & her eye also had a funny feeling that was constantly there. Unfortunately, mine are developing so will wait until there is a point where I must have it done. So glad to hear it turns out great for so many people.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #40
gone traveling

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I have been lucky or as its genetic or its just my wearing a baseball cap where ever I go.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote