Join Early Retirement Today

Changes in Health, Post-retirement
Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Changes in Health, Post-retirement

I am curious as to what you all have experienced health-wise after FIRE. My job is both stressful and even worse, very frustrating(trying to get those over whom I have no authority to do things they do not want to- such is the world of ESH compliance). I surmise that leaving that world behind would at least drop those stressors and provide more time to workout, meditate or other spiritual pursuits, spend more time with friends, family, etc....which in turn would lead to greater mental and hopefully physical health.

So, I would appreciate the sharing of experiences concerning FIRE's impact on such health-related aspects as weight loss, blood pressure, getting off meds, changes in eating habits(more time to cook-fewer times bolting thru a fast food joint to down a burger while driving to that next meeting), working out, depression, etc. Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Changes in Health, Post-retirment
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: Changes in Health, Post-retirment

aggie,

If you go back and read some of the older threads, you will find that everything gets better. I ain't there yet, but I believe it.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Changes in Health, Post-retirement
Old 05-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
If you go back and read some of the older threads, you will find that everything gets better. I ain't there yet, but I believe it.
aggie,

Edís trying to put a pretty face on it, but life after retirement is full of stress and frustrations. For example,

- Almost every day you will be forced to decide whether you should get up and watch the sunrise while you sip your first cup, or sleep until itís so bright the light coming in through the window forces you awake.
- You will be frustrated because you don't know if itís Monday or Wednesday, and a little freaked out by the fact you donít really seem to care.
- You will be torn between spending time with your hobbies, doing volunteer w*rk, taking a trip, reading whatever you want for as long as you want, or (heaven forbid), spending time with virtual anonymous friends on an internet discussion board.

I've just scratched the surface, but you get the idea. Retirement is not stress free. You'll only be trading one set of problems for another.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
aggie,

Edís trying to put a pretty face on it, but life after retirement is full of stress and frustrations. For example,

- Almost every day you will be forced to decide whether you should get up and watch the sunrise while you sip your first cup, or sleep until itís so bright the light coming in through the window forces you awake.
- You will be frustrated because you don't know if itís Monday or Wednesday, and a little freaked out by the fact you donít really seem to care.
- You will be torn between spending time with your hobbies, doing volunteer w*rk, taking a trip, reading whatever you want for as long as you want, or (heaven forbid), spending time with virtual anonymous friends on an internet discussion board.

I've just scratched the surface, but you get the idea. Retirement is not stress free. You'll only be trading one set of problems for another.
I liked that!!

It's been a month since I pulled the plug, and in that (short) time, I've lost a few pounds and about an inch around the waist, my BP has gone down a smidge, and I have only taken TUMS twice (and that was because of what I ate) as compared to taking a few every day while still w*rking.

Overall....I feel ALOT better now! Though I do suffer from some of what REWahoo! stated in his post!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
aggie,

Rewahoo is spot on. My damn dog keeps waking me up at 6:00am to feed her. I've tried explaining to her that I don't have to get up early anymore and for her to sleep in too, but she keeps waking me up anyway. Very stressful way to start the day. Retirement is full of stress.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My health changes have been remarkable.

I am actively involved in pilates, tai chi, yoga, circuit training, eliptical (for cardio) and,best of all, I am enjoying it -- it is not a chore to get in after work but a social hobby. In fact, this summer I am hoping to get tai chi and pilates certification.

Last fall, during my 6month mammogram routine, the doctor asked me "..what has changed in your lifestyle...?" After initially panicing, he assured me that my breasts (density,calcifications, etc) have cleared up and I no longer have to be seen every 6 months. After a discussion about my increased exercising, better nutrition, less stress, etc., I feel confident that my good news is due to these changes.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

You do realize what an evil man you are for those of us who are wrestling with when to pull the trigger, right?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
You do realize what an evil man you are for those of us who are wrestling with when to pull the trigger, right?
Hey, FIRE isn't for sissies!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

LOL! Well, thanks for the responses! Now I kinda feel like ol' Brer Rabbit," Please don't throw me into that briar patch." I guess I need to take a retired friend's comment at face value, "everyday is a Saturday."

aggie
Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired from a stressful desk job two years ago. I have lost 25lbs and feel great. No stress my time is my time to do what I want.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie
I guess I need to take a retired friend's comment at face value, "everyday is a Saturday."
I look at it as everyday is a day.......not sure which day.......usually don't care which day! I'm just happy that none of them are "w*rk" days anymore!

Kind of like I tell my friends....."It's like when you were a little kid, (before the grown-ups sent ya off to kindergarten) you'd get up in the morning and play ALL DAY LONG, and then they'd have to drag you in to the house to go to bed at night! ENDLESS DAYS OF PLAY!!!"
Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I liked that!!

It's been a month since I pulled the plug, and in that (short) time, I've lost a few pounds and about an inch around the waist, my BP has gone down a smidge, and I have only taken TUMS twice (and that was because of what I ate) as compared to taking a few every day while still w*rking.

Overall....I feel ALOT better now! Though I do suffer from some of what REWahoo! stated in his post!!!
Goonie, it was GREAT to read about the health improvements you've experienced, especially since you only just retired (has it been a month? Wow, how time flies). This is just what I am hoping it will be like for me in 2010 when I retire.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Since 31 Dec '04 (The Wonderful Day) I have lost 65 pounds of fat, BP is almost down to normal, no more migraines, chronic arthritis pain is gone, no more teeth grinding.

I feel good!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Since 31 Dec '04 (The Wonderful Day) I have lost 65 pounds of fat, BP is almost down to normal, no more migraines, chronic arthritis pain is gone, no more teeth grinding.

I feel good!
This is very encouraging! I am planning and visualizing my retirement lifestyle as a healthier way of life, involving more walking and less driving, as well as the regular gym membership that I now maintain. But no matter how much I plan and visualize, I do not yet know what I am getting into, as far as the effects on my health. I do feel the lessening of stress will be extremely beneficial. It is great to hear from retired people who have done as well as you have done.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My blood pressure was down 10% the first year and 20% the second year.

No, I don't expect (or want) that trend to continue...
Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

These are all great testimonials! Just for fun, I'll log my main concerns(weight, BP, lipids, blood sugar) at the beginning of formal retirement and status it monthly-quarterly. Not that any of you all will care, but it will provide some much needed accountability to me. I do appreciate the information you all have shared with me, quite motivating!